• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lincoln or Miller?

Grommit327

I am going in with a friend on a new welder just so I have something to work on my truck with again. We decided to go with a 180A unit just because neither of us has the money for a 210. I have always been a true blue fan myself and haven't actually used a Lincoln. My buddy at airgas wants me to take a look at the new Lincoln welders and he likes them over the newer millers. Spec wise the duty cycles are similar however the Lincoln is spec'ed for 3/16" material while the Miller is spec'ed for 5/16". I have a feeling both should be decent for 1/4" though. Any thoughts, opinions or otherwise useless bullshit??? :flipoff:

Oh and the Lincoln is only about $40 less than the Miller

being a true blue fan as well.... you know my vote. i would go for the higher rated welder. 5/16 is a more reliable number to have than 3/16. $40 is nothing to spend to gain another 1/8" of welding power!

Always get the biggest machine that you can.
All of mine are Blue.
Whatever you buy make sure that you can get the consumables easily!

Chris

something to consider which might or might not be a valid point...

i heard from a welder friend of mine the biggest difference between lincoln and miller is the material the contacts are made from. heard lincoln used aluminium vice brass?

might want to ask a few repair shops about that issue.

get the biggest you can afford.

im very happy with my hobart 180. for the price anyways.

A friend of mine who works maintenance on welders at Machinist Inc, said they changed over from Lincoln's to Miller's due to maintenance issues (dependability). So I picked up a MM175 at Airgas based on his recommendation, I'm happy with it

Supposedly with this new model Lincoln has fixed alot of their reliability issues but I really don't want to be the one to find out if this is true or not. I have always had good luck with Millers (except my last one but that was about 25years old). Might as well stick with the tried and true

Did anyone mention blue yet? :corn:

Grommit327 said:
My buddy at airgas wants me to take a look at the new Lincoln welders and he likes them over the newer millers.
Lemme guess, they sell Lincoln and not miller. :redneck:

skrause said:
Did anyone mention blue yet? :corn:

Lemme guess, they sell Lincoln and not miller. :redneck:
Nope...they sell both. He just wanted me to take a look at both new machines and said the feedback so far has been positive on the Lincoln. Either way I'm gettin a pretty good deal.

(I didn't say this but $717 for the miller :D )

zip said:
A friend of mine who works maintenance on welders at Machinist Inc, said they changed over from Lincoln's to Miller's due to maintenance issues (dependability). So I picked up a MM175 at Airgas based on his recommendation, I'm happy with it

i'm really happy with mine as well.

Go with the Miller. I did a lot of research on the different brands before i purchased mine and decided on Miller because of their reputation and quality of the components. Everyone i talked to hands down recommended Miller and the quality, in my opinion, is higher. The Miller weighs more meaning the components in it are of higher and heavier quality. I looked at the lincoln at CWS and it did not feel as solid as the miller did. I played around with the drive roll mechanism and really gave it a good looking over and felt that the Miller was a much better built unit overall. The guys at CWS all told me that the Miller is a better unit as well.

Just my $.02

miller

I have used both and i prefer miller they weld smooth and I have never had a problem with dependabillty the miller I used at work had the **** beat out of it the thing was hagerd looking and it welded like a champ

We ended up getting the Miller 180. After comparing the units side by side it was a no brainer. Now to just get everything wire up at both homes so it can be used.:D

Well hmmm...I would say get my clamp remade for my H/A ram. Then it's on to rear suspension and DIY beadlocks when I get the cash

Oh...and I'm tired of looking at my unfinished primered but half rusty rear bumper...so that will finally get finished up :D

Well hmmm...I would say get my clamp remade for my H/A ram. Then it's on to rear suspension and DIY beadlocks when I get the cash

Oh...and I'm tired of looking at my unfinished primered but half rusty rear bumper...so that will finally get finished up :D

That is a good start. :awesomework:

It's a Ford Vs. Chevy thing. They are both good units and both work great. I personanlly have a Lincoln 255 and its worked great for me. I have also used Millers and they are also great units. Either way is a good choice.