• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

little or no power when hitting the gas

beyatch

If you say I need a V8 in it I already know that.....91 YJ, automatic, 3.55 stock. I have been having this problem for a little while, but now it is really bad. I am noticing a loss of power when I step on the gas, no engine revving, just nothing. Could not back up my driveway in reverse, peddle to the floor and no power. Turned around and headed up ok, but still lack of power.
Went to Elbe on Saturday and ran the Busy I did end up getting submerged in water up to the floorboards, have not checked the trans. fluid.
Tailpipe is also a little mashed but still open.

any ideas on where to start?

Automatics don't like water damage. Start by pulling the dipstick on the automatic, look & smell the fluid. Water damage or burnt is bad.

Check for a clogged cat. Easiest way is to loosen the cat from the header pipe (even if you have to saw it off partway) and test drive. You can always have it welded back on for cheap at any muffler shop.

Then start checking the motor. Make sure the ignition timing is correct, look for fouled plugs, bad cap, clogged fuel filter, clogged air filter, etc.

6 cylinder, I checked the plugs last night they are fine. One other interesting thing, Check engine light comes on after driving on the road over 20 mph but trails fine. When I drove it last night after cleaning it, it barely sounds like it is running. I have to downshift to hear the engine and keep it running. Dam busywild.

I will look at the fluids. I have Montana plates so I can just take the cat off as i never do emissions. Thanks for the help

When you try to start it, does it have to crank for a bit, or at least have the key turned on for a bit to get it to start?

The motor would still spin up even if the tranny was flooded, I would look more to the electrical side, cracked cap, coil problem ect...
If the exhaust was real bad it could cause it, but I would think you would hear the wheezing...
This is what happens when you dont invite friends to go play in the busy with you....:fawkdancesmiley:

I have not checked but I think you all are right, clogged Cat. I will be taking it back - less than a year old...

too many jeeps on the Busy is never good, we finished in under 3 hours. I think we saw FordZuki and ChopShop :awesomework:

Is that thing carburated?? If so, is it the Carter BBD?
Maybe you have clogged jets or something is fouled up in your float bowl. Just some ideas. I have been dealing with lots of issues due to the carter bbd setup, and wasn't able to resolve all of them until I did the nutter bypass, and put a mc2100 carb on it. TONS of power now!:awesomework:

Another vote for the clogged kitty!!! If it's less than a yr old, there has to be a reason it failed so soon....running too rich will cause rapid meltdown of the kitty's substrate....

Is that thing carburated?? If so, is it the Carter BBD?
Maybe you have clogged jets or something is fouled up in your float bowl. Just some ideas. I have been dealing with lots of issues due to the carter bbd setup, and wasn't able to resolve all of them until I did the nutter bypass, and put a mc2100 carb on it. TONS of power now!:awesomework:

91 should be efi

Clogged cat (or exhaust) x eleventy billion. No power, quieter engine... that busy mud is nasty stuff, maybe it caked the cat and made the heat rise inside enough to let all hell break loose?

I have a 95 xj and just went through a simular situation after being in waist high water It took a week or so to get to the point of no power but what I found out is my fuel pump rubber o-ring gasket in the tank was leaking and it let muddy water in the tank. It would start fine run fine for a while but as the sedament filled the pickup screen it would start to lose power and cut out at high rpms and heavy throtel use.

Just one more thing to check....