• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

locker vs welding

uhohhotdog151

how much worse is the steering going to be if i welded my front end rather than throwing in a locker? its on a sas toyota. with 38's and crossover steering. i have an aussie in it now, and the turning radius sucks pretty bad. but i going to be regearing and im trying todecide if i should buy a new locker or not.

the turning radius will get worse if you weld it.. a locker is better.
However, for whatever reason.. toyota fronts do handle being welded.

My front is welded now, however it can get really hard to turn. Then you have to get in and out to unlock a hub. I am going to install a locker, just for ease of operation. I have 38's and longfields, and everything has held up good so far.

I've been wheeling on a welded front for a few years now. Like everyone has said the radius sucks bc the truck wants to plow straight at times but its nothing I have ever had a serious issue with.

But thats why the passenger in my truck is called my 'hub bitch', its their job to unlock/lock the hub as I see fit. :redneck:

Put a locker in it.

Either pony up for a Detroit, or just reuse your aussie since you already have it and seems to be holding up (you didn't bad mouth is).

Weld the rear if you need to save $$
________
Genetically modified food

Last edited:
or get hydro assist and a high flow pump to help out... even though i doubt that would help enough to make it easy to turn. the truck will still wanna point straight. ive considered a spool front/ARB rear recently. the ARB would sure be nice on the street in the rear.

I am welded in my rear and I have a detroit up front! But as far as I can tell it neer unlocks itself around turns or anything its like having a full spool up front:eeek: Like everyone else has said you greatly lose the turning radius of the truck, but I personally before ai hit any trails, I air down, and then I only engage my passenger side hub! I run 3 wheel drive untill I get to a place where both lockers are needed I just hop out and lock my hub it!

Honestly I dont mind at all!!! it maybe takes me 20secs to hop out and lock and my hub and get back in my truck:awesomework: I say keep your aussie up front and weld the rear:cool:

Put a locker in it.

Either pony up for a Detroit, or just reuse your aussie since you already have it and seems to be holding up (you didn't bad mouth is).

Weld the rear if you need to save $$

I agree get a locker in it..:awesomework:
you'll save your axle shaft's that way:haha:

I am welded in my rear and I have a detroit up front! But as far as I can tell it neer unlocks itself around turns or anything its like having a full spool up front:eeek: Like everyone else has said you greatly lose the turning radius of the truck, but I personally before ai hit any trails, I air down, and then I only engage my passenger side hub! I run 3 wheel drive untill I get to a place where both lockers are needed I just hop out and lock my hub it!

Honestly I dont mind at all!!! it maybe takes me 20secs to hop out and lock and my hub and get back in my truck:awesomework: I say keep your aussie up front and weld the rear:cool:

try a different gear oil....

try a different gear oil....

What would you use???? I have tried the carquest special 80w90 and then have also used the Royal purple like 75w90 or sumthing like that!

What the hell should I use??? this has really been bothering me quite a bit:rolleyes:

get a locker. runnin one hub locked wont kill a longfield, but will kill hub studs and hubs. and it will pull when climbing or put you in ditch going downhill in snow:booo:

and sometimes that ditch is a cliff. thats the main reason ive chosen to keep the spool rear arb front.

you bought this truck complete, right?

people have a habbit of selling rigs with DETROIT AT BOTH ENDS, so the ad says. then later you find it welded or lockrighted!!

if it is a lockright, try removing one spring if it the dual spring model.
the toy v6 lockright is the smoothest locker for the front and the cheapest.:awesomework: IMO

and sometimes that ditch is a cliff. thats the main reason ive chosen to keep the spool rear arb front.

put my wheeler on its side coming down copper creek raod in the snow. I had a front locker too, but broke a birf (old treated) rippin 4x donuts. I had to remove it to steer and on the way down I let off and the truck spun around so quick I was happy it caught the shoulder rocks and fell over. if it haddnt fallen over I would have had along ride down.:booo:

you bought this truck complete, right?

people have a habbit of selling rigs with DETROIT AT BOTH ENDS, so the ad says. then later you find it welded or lockrighted!!

if it is a lockright, try removing one spring if it the dual spring model.
the toy v6 lockright is the smoothest locker for the front and the cheapest.:awesomework: IMO

Yeah i bought it complete as far as the front end goes! I pulled the 3rd the first day I had it in the shop, because if its one thing I know people get screwed on craigslift all the time! I figured he welded the front and said it had a detroit, but it for sure is a detroit!!:cheer: The thing I am having problems with is getting it to unlock when making turns!!!! I was told I need to try different gear oil???? What kind?????

Yeah i bought it complete as far as the front end goes! I pulled the 3rd the first day I had it in the shop, because if its one thing I know people get screwed on craigslift all the time! I figured he welded the front and said it had a detroit, but it for sure is a detroit!!:cheer: The thing I am having problems with is getting it to unlock when making turns!!!! I was told I need to try different gear oil???? What kind?????

TALK TO DETROIT.THEY'LL TELL YOU WHAT TO PUT IN.

I welded front and rear in my 85 toyota with 35's and never had a problem.
the thing handled great! You do need to make sure you weld the crap out of it.