• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Looking at buying a XJ.

Turfmode

I'm looking at buying a XJ as my first rig.
I'm trying to pick between 2 a 1990 and a 1996. Any help would be appreciated.

1996 is the one with no doors

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191023-173139_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20191023-173139_Facebook.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Screenshot_20191023-173123_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20191023-173123_Facebook.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 150
Got some info from an anonymous French source.
You want a throttle body with 4 bolts not 3. Something about wiring.
Swap in an 8.8 when you brake rear axle and TJ shafts when you break the front.

What are you wanting to do with the rig? Meaning trailers and trails only? Or some on road driving and some off-road driving?

Assuming you're looking for a trail only rig I'd go with the '96 model. I dont know a whole lot about Cherokees but I'm pretty sure the '90 model will have the "renix" fuel injection system which could be difficult to repair in the future.

Buy the '96 then. Better EFI system, it has tread on the tires, and the add for '90 model specifically says 4wd doesnt work.

Assuming you're looking for a trail only rig I'd go with the '96 model. I dont know a whole lot about Cherokees but I'm pretty sure the '90 model will have the "renix" fuel injection system which could be difficult to repair in the future.
This. Stay away from the renix motors. Cherokars are awesome.

As an idiot that wheels an XJ I'd say find something else but if you want one stay away from the 90 renix. They had tons of electrical issues. Both have garbage axles they are barely ok for 33s so plan on swapping the rear, the 96 will have the bigger u joint shafts and babied will handle 35s.

Is there a specific year that he should be looking for?
Besides 4 bolts on the throttle body instead of 3.
Someone said, with a slight French accent, that 97 were a bad year.

Only thing l know about cherokees is you can cut the rear fenders out more in a 2 door and they didn't come with a good skid plate.

And you should always get a ZJ if you can afford one.

96. Bigger u joints in the front end. No renix. It was kinda the oddball year before the newer body style. But seems to be the sought after year.

In my past XJ-life, the OBD1 versions/non Renix 92-95? were better, easier to find parts for. The 96 was the first year of OBD2 and it was more finicky to electrical crap and also the 96 had a few items that were "96 only"....like the fuel pump assembly, ECU, some other random **** I thankfully forgot. Yes, i'm sure you could bypass/work around that but who doesn't just like plug and play?

The BEST year to get is a 99 if you can find one in your price range. Better intake manifold, better fan/cooling, HP D30 / D44 axle U joints.

The ones I wouldn't get are the 2000-2001s....LPD30 and known to crack cyl heads. However, those years probably have 200K on them by now and have either had it replaced/repaired by now. Still....i'd like to have a 92-95 or my 99 back again.

I guess I got all bad info. I thought when I was toying with getting one for my daughter that the LP front started in 99 and 96-98 were the better ones, good engine, better chance at not a 35 rear and a HP front with bigger joints?
The "turfmode" screen name just screams ED troll account to me. Living life in turf mode and whatnot.

I guess I got all bad info. I thought when I was toying with getting one for my daughter that the LP front started in 99 and 96-98 were the better ones, good engine, better chance at not a 35 rear and a HP front with bigger joints?
The "turfmode" screen name just screams ED troll account to me. Living life in turf mode and whatnot.
Screen name is all ED