• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Looking to get into a TIG machine

That looks like a really nice machine. I have a Lincoln 145 at home for small stuff. I bought a Hobart 230, and quickly sold it due to inconsistencies. One minute I could set it and lay dimes, grab a drink and end up grinding the rest of the day bc it looked like bird sh**. I thought about getting a Miller 252, but with those prices I'd rather buy a tig and learn. I'll only use it for small stuff in the garage, and have always wanted to learn to tig.

If it's a water cooled torch as it looks like it is, don't run it long or hot without water. It will make a good soaker hose if you do. Just replaced mine last week because of no water while welding alum.

Toddy

patooyee said:
I'm pretty handy with hydraulic stuff so I figure if I have the water cooler parts I can come up with a pump.

All they are is a pump with a radiator that cools the water, nothing complicated at all. Like said do not run a water cooled torch with out the water very much or the torch will get messed up and you'll have to buy a new one.

Re: Re: Looking to get into a TIG machine

Apparently I misunderstood the owners texts. He said that
y3a3u6yh.jpg
everything worked fine but the water pump quit working 3 years ago and needed to be serviced and h
gyma3ary.jpg
e hasn't used it since. I took that to mean that the pump was bad but everything else was fine. Apparently what he meant was that they bought a new cooler 3 years ago and hadn't used it since! So I'm good to go! I melted through some 1/2" aluminum pretty easy while it was still hooked up.

Now I need to figure out how the heck I'm going to power this 750lbs beast! They were nice enough to include about 100' of 4x1 cable to do it with!
yzyjuhun.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm looking at some combo units from Everlast.. Anyone have experience with then? Also how do the consumables compare to mig?

Sent from this bust'd ass iPhone

Just used a Everlast for remote job we had. Seemed to be a decent machine, the torch controls were a bit clumsy but I use a regular foot pedal all day so it could just be me. The fan is obnoxiously loud. The consumables that come in the kit are pretty cheap but its good enough to get you started. It would be a good machine for the hobbyist but I would not use it for everyday welding.

Haha you got a hell of a deal! If you don't want to mess with the cooler right off the bat, get an air cooled torch for the time being, they're not super expensive and super simple. Do yourself a favor and et a flex head torch, your wrist will thank you later. Water cooled torches are pretty much a must for running AC, as it heats up the torch reaaaaal quick.

As for everlast machines, to me, it's a waste of money, even for a hobbyist. They have great options and the multiprocess ability is great on paper, but there is a reason they are so cheap. Especially an inverter machine, there's more electronics in them than iPhone and desktop computer combined. That being said, they're built very cheaply, if you're spending the money, do it wisely and buy a red or blue machine.

Personally, I'm a Lincoln fan, I like the arc characteristics of their machines over others. At my college(penn college of technology), they had every different machine from the 70s and newer, power sources with wire feeders, industrial CC machines, sub arc, robotics, everything, the Lincoln's outperformed the rest.

Well I'm definently a hobbiest

With that being said I'm looking for deals

I'm not loyal to any brand, just want a good product for my $$$

Sent from this bust'd ass iPhone

Where do ya'll buy stuff like torches, tungsten, etc. I'm sure online is cheaper.

patooyee said:
Where do ya'll buy stuff like torches, tungsten, etc. I'm sure online is cheaper.

Ebay for me.. I can buy 3 times the amount of product for the same price my local supply houses want for just one item

Is there a specific seller on eBay that you buy from or just whatever is cheap?

I buy almost all of my welding supplies from usaweld on eBay. Same company that sells HTP welders. They stock parts for just about any welder or plasma cutter you can think of. They'll stuff everything they can in a flat rate box, and they ship fast.

I've used usaweld as well with good results. However my last order of plasma tips sucked, not sure if they were knockoffs or what but they cut like crap. But for tig stuff the quality seems just as good as everyone else.

Cyberweld.com good prices and fast shipping. Weldcraft for a torch, and just go straight to a gas lense setup.

Ordered me up a series 20 torch with flex head, hose, leather sheath, and gas lens set from usaweld.com, thanks.

Usaweld(HTP) have some awesome deals on eBay. Their 4-1/2 x 5-1/4 clear lenses are by far the best deal I've found, outside if getting a sheet of lexan and shearing them out(if you have access to a shear at least 4' wide)

At the shop laying my first beads, having a lot of fun experimenting, sharpening tungsten, etc. :) (No really, this is actually a lot of fun!) I'm almost all the way through my first tungsten, but it started a little short as it was a used one that came with the welder. All the tungsten I have is all pure / green. I've heard that 2% thoriated might treat me better so I'll try some of that tomorrow when I can run to the welding store to get it.

I'm starting on mild steel using a new flex-head 20 torch with a 7 cup, gas lens, 3/32 electrode, superflex cable. This machine is hot as a mother ****er. I'm at 60% power and can pretty easily blow through 1/4" with it. Its almost like a dang plasma torch! So far I have learned how easy it is to overheat mild steel and slowly learning to feather control the pedal as a result. I think something may be wrong with my regulator? I'm having to use 40cfm/h to get any quality out of my welds and my understanding is that I should only need 15-20. Listening to the torch hiss at 40-50 cfm/h sounds about like all the videos I watch of 15-20. When I got the machine the regulator was turned up all the way, making me think that the previous owners had to open it wide to get good welds, too. Anyone got any input there?

Training my left hand to feed rod is like trying to pat my head with one hand and rub my belly with the other. I get the general motion but when I do it the tip of the rod wobbles all around contaminating my electrode. So for right now I am just feeding it with arm motion and stopping my weld to reset the length. I know this is an acquired skill and plan on sitting in front of the TV for a while feeding wire. But anyone got any tips on how to keep the end from wobbling so bad?

There's a huge difference between a nice sharp tungsten and rounded. Before when I was overheating steel and had the regulator set at 20 I kept cracking the tungsten. That seems to have been resolved since turning the gas up and heat down. I'm still getting a blue ring about 1/2" up the tungsten though and I don't think I'm supposed to be?

Any tips are welcome!

Re:

Pics man!
I brought out my tig for the first time in a while. I'm right handed but find that I can feed the filler more steadily with my right and the torch with my left. I'm greener than noobs so no advice here.