• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

low and rough idle

toyman21

Ok, not sure whats going on. It(86 4 runner 22RE) ran fine earlier in the day yesterday, then late last night it just ran rough and didnt want to idle from start up. Today checked air filter, leak in intake hose,cap & rotor, wires, looked for vacume leaks, checked all the plugs ins.
It seems to run pretty well at the higher RPMS, its wanting to try and idle around 3-500 RPMs, it appears tp be getting fuel, spark, and air. Some times at really low idle it'll like backfire into to intake when reved fast but ot all the time.
Nothing has been changed recently, the motor has been running like it should. It doesnt appear to have any kind of smoke(blue, black, or white) coming out of it, the exhaust smells like it should. If i hold it at 1000RPMs then rev it, it revs just fine. Also abouve 1-1500RPMs it feels like the power is still there as it should be.

Sounds like what mine was doing when my TPS went bad. I just unplugged it and it worked fine. If unplugging it works, it needs to be adjusted or replaced.

well, that didnt work.
It seems to take off better if im real easy in the throttle, then at like 3000rpm it seems to just take off like it should.

Did it backfire thru the intake??? If so, it could've jacked the MAF....Try a known good air box lid from a good running rig of same vintage, and see if that helps...

Not sure on the fuel pressure, fuel pump and filter may be in store soon.

zukkev i'll give that a try.

it almost acks like a fuel issue, just not sure yet

the motor doesnt have more than 15,000 miles on it.
Nothing i have done has changed anything, when i unpluged the TPS it idled at 500rpm which is up from the 300.