• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

low and slow cherokee build

Re: little cherokee build up

96cherokeexj said:
How does the dana 44 do with the 40s?

I hope he has better luck than me.....couple chromo shafts....760 u joint after 760 u joint...a couple caps off superjoints.....shafts sent in about 6 times for egged cap holes and twisted splines. I got a good year out of mine after going to 37's(from radial 35's).

It does good, I have a dana 44 under a ranger on 38.5 swampers and havent broke anyhting yet and its not chromolys, just stock axles, and its been all in windrock and sandmines

cjtrucking said:
It does good, I have a dana 44 under a ranger on 38.5 swampers and havent broke anyhting yet and its not chromolys, just stock axles, and its been all in windrock and sandmines
Guess it depends on your driving style. I like crawling stuff more than "jumping" me I guess u could say. But I like to feel comfortable if I do have to goose it to climb a ledge etc. My buddy has a 90 xj on full widths 44/9 on 38.5s welded f/r and he hasn't broke anything either

96cherokeexj said:
Guess it depends on your driving style. I like crawling stuff more than "jumping" me I guess u could say. But I like to feel comfortable if I do have to goose it to climb a ledge etc. My buddy has a 90 xj on full widths 44/9 on 38.5s welded f/r and he hasn't broke anything either
I had a 6cyl jeep yj with a dana 44/9'' all stock shafts and 39.5 iroks and beat it for 3 years HARD! and only broke 3 stubs and 2 inner shafts. Would have broke more if the icants ever caught traction.

Guess I need to learn how to drive better. My 44 on 38s has eaten several chromo shafts and u joints, 2 sets of warn premium hubs and a lockright. It's got a welded Spartan in it now cause it didn't stand up to my heavy foot either. All this on a stock 4L in my XJ.

xjmarc said:
Guess I need to learn how to drive better. My 44 on 38s has eaten several chromo shafts and u joints, 2 sets of warn premium hubs and a lockright. It's got a welded Spartan in it now cause it didn't stand up to my heavy foot either. All this on a stock 4L in my XJ.
Dang lol. I always thought dana 44s where awesome but after knowing people with personal experience I wouldn't go to a dana 44 just find a bj 60. But everyone has their own opinion and I respect that

well i got a dana 44 under it and i am plenty of happy with it and plenty happy with it on older rigs. dont get me wrong id like to have a dana 60 just aint got the money for it right now so 44 it is. :dblthumb:

cjtrucking said:
well i got a dana 44 under it and i am plenty of happy with it and plenty happy with it on older rigs. dont get me wrong id like to have a dana 60 just aint got the money for it right now so 44 it is. :dblthumb:
Completely understand that man. I'm hoping I get this new job and it'll be the deciding factor on if I build something. I really want a rockwell buggy lol

Yea i just didnt want to put to much into the cherokee ive only got under $3,000 in the whole thing thats cherokee and all and also because id like to build a buggy with probably rockwells also. and i hope you get the new job man!

cjtrucking said:
Yea i just didnt want to put to much into the cherokee ive only got under $3,000 in the whole thing thats cherokee and all and also because id like to build a buggy with probably rockwells also. and i hope you get the new job man!
Thanks man. Cherokee looks good keep up the good work!!!!

96cherokeexj said:
Dang lol. I always thought dana 44s where awesome but after knowing people with personal experience I wouldn't go to a dana 44 just find a bj 60. But everyone has their own opinion and I respect that

I'd love to have a D60, prefer kingpin though, but money was a factor. I got my D44 for $250 with chromos, 4.56s and what was supposed to be a Detroit, turned out to be a truetrac which I sold for 250. So minus bearings and hubs, brakes etc, it was a free axle.

xjmarc said:
I'd love to have a D60, prefer kingpin though, but money was a factor. I got my D44 for $250 with chromos, 4.56s and what was supposed to be a Detroit, turned out to be a truetrac which I sold for 250. So minus bearings and hubs, brakes etc, it was a free axle.
That's a hell of a deal

heres a update on the cherokee.
got the front end in, trac bar made, steering made, and set the ride height

so the next thing is i cut the fenders out, and started on the bumper

this is its current state, on jacks getting everything ready to weld up, finish the bumper, fenders, front lights, drive shafts, shock mounts and bump stops

Did some testing to check shock mounts and to set bump stops and limiting straps
IMG_20140130_111121_zpse0b2ff69.jpg

20140129_163240_zps4d173135.jpg