• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Low Budget rear engine, 37"s

Update. Dissassembly of the engine was bad. The crank was shot, cylinder scored...its scrap.
I found a non balance shaft roller block to build up. Engine specs. 4.3 non balance shaft block bored .030. Ported Vortec heads, Edelbrock 2114 intake, Comp 09-415-08 camshaft. Z28 valve springs. Howell TBI chip. Estimated 210=225 HP

I converted the oil pickup to a front sump to help oiling issues on steep inclines. Chevy II 6 cyl pickup tube cut and welded and mated 2 stock pans together. Ugly but seems to be working.

I also finally decided on some new tires as well. I wanted a 37" pitbull but nobody has them in stock. I was left with just a few choices for a 16.5 rim. Finally chose a 38 x 12.50 X 16.5 TSL SX.
These are available in a 10 ply tread and 6 ply sidewall.
When I first saw the tires I really thought they were going to be too skinny. I mounted them up and was still unsure.

Well I can rest easy now. I was very surprise at how they worked the first day without the sidewalls being broke in. I expected them to be stiff with the 6 ply sidewall but not noticeable different from a 4 ply tire. They should be tough for sure.
We rode the buggy all day on Saturday and the only issue was a small coolant bath when it got really hot the first time and starter engagement.

Buggy did good on the shakedown run. No oil pressure issues at this point. Climbs good. I figured I would notice the weight in the rear but not at all so far. It is a major change from a full width Jeep. It is very easy to drive fast between the tight trees we ride in often.
Brought it home and installed bottom skids this weekend.

I am trying to get it to where it will pass tech for a DirtRoit race in May. So solid metal roof it is. .125 Alum.

I bet you have a neighbor like the lady in the commercial, "There he goes again, picking that dune buggy thing up with his crane truck! Hope he doesn't squish his kids!" molaugh

Maybe I'll get to see it soon.

Clean and simple, I like it!! Only problem with a cheap build like this is they usually do better than your hardcore rig and it's gets pushed to the side or sold.

96crawler said:
Clean and simple, I like it!! Only problem with a cheap build like this is they usually do better than your hardcore rig and it's gets pushed to the side or sold.

Yep I am lucky enough that my wife loves to hit the trails as well. I have a feeling this buggy is going to be well used, between her, the boys and myself. The Jeep will fall back into a general trail rig for carrying the cooler and snacks.
During the shakedown run she actually drove the buggy up a ledge obstacle coming out of a creekbed.
That is the first time she has ever done anything like that. She was happy and I was beside myself. :woot:
I am looking forward to seeing my oldest knucklehead drive it as soon as his broken hand heals.

RustyC said:
Yep I am lucky enough that my wife loves to hit the trails as well. I have a feeling this buggy is going to be well used, between her, the boys and myself. The will fall back into a general trail rig for carrying the cooler and snacks.
During the shakedown run she actually drove the buggy up a ledge obstacle coming out of a creekbed.
That is the first time she has ever done anything like that. She was happy and I was beside myself. :woot:
I am looking forward to seeing my oldest knucklehead drive it as soon as his broken hand heals.

Awesome, I love seeing women get out there and wheel too. My wife doesn't ride much but when I had my buggy she actually liked it cause she could see everything going on. I have a GSXR1000 motor for my next little buggy build so gotta get the Pinto finished so I can start on it.

That is a tough answer to come up with Josh. Everything was going well with used and donated parts. Then the engine failed and new tires...
I will try to do some # crunching and report back.

EDIT: I never really set a budget from the start I just planned to build a simple little buggy with junkyard parts. Most of today's builds are using 5.3 or 6.0 engines, bling t-cases, axles,wheels and tires. etc. I knew I could not afford to build one like that or it would take years to build. The boys are growing so fast I needed to make something happen fast but I wanted a tough little buggy that could handle a bit of abuse. One that has lots of areas to upgrade. I built it using less desirable components like the 4.3,th350 and Dana 300 and 9" axles, well worn Iroks. All these have room to be beefed up even more than stock form.
I would have loved to have used fabricated housings, nodular dropouts and ARB's in the axles and 32 spline outputs in the D300.
I spend money in key areas like suspension and seats so I would at least be comfortable to ride in.
I figure all those weak point will show up and have to be addressed one day but till then at least it is out on the trails and not just an idea in my head.

I figured a rough ballpark estimate of about $7500 for it to hit the trail. The engine build and new tires pushed that # way on up.
I guess a lot of reading of build threads and whatnot have educated me on way to save some coin, oem adapters vs aftermarket helped a ton.

This is not bashing anyone who has a higher end build. Hell you earned the money and deserve to spend it however you please. :dblthumb:

RustyC said:
That is a tough answer to come up with Josh. Everything was going well with used and donated parts. Then the engine failed and new tires...
I will try to do some # crunching and report back.

EDIT: I never really set a budget from the start I just planned to build a simple little buggy with junkyard parts. Most of today's builds are using 5.3 or 6.0 engines, bling t-cases, axles,wheels and tires. etc. I knew I could not afford to build one like that or it would take years to build. The boys are growing so fast I needed to make something happen fast but I wanted a tough little buggy that could handle a bit of abuse. One that has lots of areas to upgrade. I built it using less desirable components like the 4.3,th350 and Dana 300 and 9" axles, well worn Iroks. All these have room to be beefed up even more than stock form.
I would have loved to have used fabricated housings, nodular dropouts and ARB's in the axles and 32 spline outputs in the D300.
I spend money in key areas like suspension and seats so I would at least be comfortable to ride in.
I figure all those weak point will show up and have to be addressed one day but till then at least it is out on the trails and not just an idea in my head.

I figured a rough ballpark estimate of about $7500 for it to hit the trail. The engine build and new tires pushed that # way on up.
I guess a lot of reading of build threads and whatnot have educated me on way to save some coin, oem adapters vs aftermarket helped a ton.

This is not bashing anyone who has a higher end build. Hell you earned the money and deserve to spend it however you please. :dblthumb:

Excellent! I've thought aboutmaking dad's 87 into a cheap buggy. Using the 10bolts with the Honda engine but I don't think any of them are worth the time and effort. LOL

Well it seems we are starting to find some more weak points on the buggy. I got very lucky to find the rear factory third (non nodular) was cracked after the Dirt Riot race, before it spit the pinion out on the ground. Ring and pinion, spool and bearings all still in good shape. I picked up a Strange nodular case to fix this.
This past weekends ride found the limit of the passenger rear, ghetto fab, welded axle shaft. It did hang in there for a while though, but jut not strong enough to handle landing under throttle in the bigger rocks.
It broke about 1/4" from the weld. I'm guessing the heat treating was compromise from the welding. Time to order that chromo axle.

Thanks for the update. Glad to see it wasn't the weld itself that broke!

Any pictures or video's of it in action?