• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Low Budget rear engine, 37"s

Hitting the trails in this thing always results in getting mud in your lap from the front tires. I dropped off the buggy at Gilberts Designs in Birmingham to let them put on some skins as I do not have the tooling required to work sheet metal. They did an outstanding job. I am very happy with the results.
The skins keep a ton of the debris from the front tires off of the driver and passenger. They totally change the look of the buggy as well for the better in my opinion.

We took it out racing again this year for the Dirt Riot race at Grayrock with much better results than last year. My goal was to finish the race and I ended up with a win. I had a buttload of fun racing as well.
I am very happy with the performance of this little machine.

How are u likeing your tires?..I wasnt happy with mine at first being they were the 10 ply but after some more riding they seem to be doing better..they are same size as yours

I am happy with them. I chose them due to needing a tough trail tire. They are stiff at first. Running a double beadlock lets me air down to compensate for the stiffer sidewall. They are not as stiff as I figured they would be. Still run about 6psi on the trail and 12 or so for the race.
I really would love this exact tire in a sticky. I would gladly pay the weight penalty for the toughness.

drycreekjeep said:
great little buggy. post some more pics of it please.

I can take more pics. Anything in particular that you are interested in?

I am ok with the 4.3 for the most part, but honestly I wish it had a 5.3 or 6.0 in it. A 4.3 weights as much as a v8 with less power. The high gearing in the 205 does not help either. Considering a gear change form 5.13 to 5.83 in the axles. Who knows I may end up changing the rear of the chassis up and putting in a V8. The engine will fit now I would just need more radiator.
An LS engine, stickies and some more shock tuning and I would be VERY happy with it.

I did build some stronger driveshafts from 2.5" .250 wall dom and all 1350 joints. I have no worries of a driveshaft failure anymore.
I also built a new fuel cell for more capacity when racing with sight gauge tube too.
Here is a few more pics.

You should be fine with the radiator youre running now if you swap in an LS. I ran the stock GM 4.3L radiator from '92 when I switched to an LS and it cooled it just fine. Taurus fan helped.

I think it was about 6 sticks of tubing. I'm getting old and can't remember things light I used too...

The radiator is only 21" x 19" with a Volvo fan and would just barely cool a mostly stock 5.7 tbi motor. I would not chance it on anything bigger.