• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lower links (4link) Ways to beef them up

Boxxerace

Have any of you sleeved your lower links on your 3 or 4 link suspension? or added extra re-inforcement to your links ala baja trucks.

Down at the hammers Hendrix's ride had the lower links sleeved with tube that had about 1.5" holes drilled through it. Then all the holes were welded to the inner link. Looked like it should be a pretty beefy setup

Yeah doing rosette welds is good but I have found spacing them about 8" and drill one from the side then the next from the top and back to the side works very well and I would only do 1.5" holes if your tube is 2" or bigger and if you tube is 1.5" or 1.75" go with 1" holes

How about making them thick enough to start with?? Im rocking 2" .375 wall DOM, and havent been able to bend one yet.

X2 but with 2.25" x .375" :awesomework:

I have seen a read about a lot of 2"x .25" bending so I went with heavier, and its weight down low so it helps the COG :fawkdancesmiley:

Yeah doing rosette welds is good but I have found spacing them about 8" and drill one from the side then the next from the top and back to the side works very well and I would only do 1.5" holes if your tube is 2" or bigger and if you tube is 1.5" or 1.75" go with 1" holes

That would have been my next question. Thanks guys, I am writing these down in my notebook. :awesomework:

Everything bend's, unless you are wheeling a tank. You've gotta find a compromise somewhere in the middle.

link size should depend on the size and use of the load they are locating.

my 2" x .250 links hold up 'reasonably' well....sure they get a little curvy, but after the initial curve, seem to hold pretty well....
I've never 'buckled' one <furiously knocking on wood>.....

go square tube and you won't bend them (2"x2" x .250")

I had round and bent them, went to square and problem solved.