• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lowering the front of my Toy...

charliesnyder

Here is the question...

What is the best way to get rid of a few inches of lift in the front end of my truck? Here are my specs. '82 Yota with 4" All Pro springs and TG front hanger kit.

0809091450.jpg

Looking to drop my front end 2-3 inches in total. Trying to figure out the best way to get this done. Should I build a new spring hanger that is "frenched" in the frame and shorten my shackles? Maybe put together a set of RUFs? Any other options I'm missing?

Thanks for the options guys,
Charlie

Go jump your truck a few times, that will settle those springs real quick:haha: Thats what happened to mine:haha:

Go jump your truck a few times, that will settle those springs real quick:haha: Thats what happened to mine:haha:

Yeah, that's one option!!!:haha: How tall (what length eye-to-eye) are your current shackles? Current Side shot of the rig would be cool...:corn:

Yeah, that's one option!!!:haha: How tall (what length eye-to-eye) are your current shackles? Current Side shot of the rig would be cool...:corn:

Shackles eye to eye are 6". Probably the best picture I can do right now. This was right before the last trip before I left. I have between 8-10 runs on these springs and they were purchased used. I don't think they will settle too much more.

bob6.jpg

As far as the back goes. I have a 2" block back there, so I can just take that out..

I would say if you take out 2-3" of lift your going to need to do lots of fender and firewall cutting.

Firewall is already getting chopped up as soon as I get home. Fenders will be trimmed as needed. Only reason I hadn't done them yet was because it wasn't necessary. Also need to do some bumpstops.

Shackles eye to eye are 6". Probably the best picture I can do right now. This was right before the last trip before I left. I have between 8-10 runs on these springs and they were purchased used. I don't think they will settle too much more.

bob6.jpg

As far as the back goes. I have a 2" block back there, so I can just take that out..

You could go to a stock length shackle up front, that'll drop it amost an inch right there, but make sure you're shackle angle will work then... Pull the rear blocks out, Then you could play the spring thing to get it down abit more up front and sitting level....:awesomework:

Y are you wanting to lower it, it looks fine to me!

And it looks like a monster truck to a lot of people. :;

Don't pull leaves, swap them. If you just pull a couple leaves you'll fawk the rest of the springs up over time. Pull arched leaves and replace them with old rears etc.

No need to french the hanger, just trim it here and there then redrill to raise the mounting hole. Then drill the shackles lower and cut them off.

Bump stop it so they make contact right before the springs invert so when they are holding the truck up they are maybe just a touch passed flat at most. Once you start inverting the springs they'll start breaking on you.

Lower is better, you'll love it lower. I just got the first gen body on mine and it's 74" to the top of the roof and 25" to the flat belly on 44's. :cheer:

toyota springs dont like to be inverted. but cherokee's go there whole lives upside down :flipoff:

I agree with brown butt trash. replace leaves, and get screwy with the shackles.

This is what my front leafs look like. Loaded now, im about 2" higher than stock coils, with 4.5" WB stretch. similar setup could be applied to a toyota to slamm it.

Attachments

• add a leafos.jpg
    add a leafos.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 145
I built sliders for my truck and ditched the shackles and it sits way better now. I also got a better pinion angle out of it... I would highly recommend this..

I built sliders for my truck and ditched the shackles and it sits way better now. I also got a better pinion angle out of it... I would highly recommend this..

What kinda life do you get out of sliders? I like the look of it, but it looks like parts may wear quick.

I'll be the first to say it....

LINK IT

:flipoff:
Linking it isn't really an option yet. Would love to throw a 3 link under it but I know NOTHING about linked suspensions. Once I get more comfortable with the idea I'll do it. Maybe in a year or so.

Like Marc W and Trashy were saying its just too tall.. COG sucks and I haven't even come close to an obstacle that needed that hieght.. Plus its time for something different. Gonna drop it a few inches, get myself a flat belly and cut the **** out of it!

Thanks for all the info guys

Last edited:
i would cut your spring perch off the rear mount it to the top of the frame or get shorter shackles, maybe get a set of 3in leafs for the front and/or get shorter shackles in the front

Run rear springs up front. Cheap, easy to get, and you can even make some money if you sell those APs. Or you can make a hybrid pack like White Trash said but rears will flex just as much, if not, more as APs.

Latest posts