• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LQ4 builder value?

JeffH454

Shop my son works at parted a van and has a lq4/4l80 left over and I thought about picking it up to build for my 70 Vette. Combo has 150K on it but the trans got rebuilt at 130K.

The motor was running fine but sounded like a slight rod knock or piston slap so I'm thinking of maybe a performance rebuild. I can get the 100% complete engine/harness and trans for $500..sound like a deal?

mna0121 said:
X2 on the lifter issue, very common with all the 1st gens, buy that sucker, the trans alone is probably worth $500 RTR

Did a little reading on the lifter problems , with any luck that's where this engines noise is coming from. Van turned out to be a 07 which were the end of the line for the LQ series.

Biggest problem is my son's giving the "slight knock" description ...the shop he works at does mostly 5.9/7.3 diesels trucks so he thinks all motors should rattle like a 6BT.

I wonder what you would have to do to the trans tunnel to fit that 4l80. I bet it will hit. But it would be sweet . I've got a 74 Vette, I am constantly thinking about a ls3 for it, just hate to do it to mine, due to it only having 46,000 miles. But a ls in one would be tits.

Elliott said:
I wonder what you would have to do to the trans tunnel to fit that 4l80. I bet it will hit. But it would be sweet . I've got a 74 Vette, I am constantly thinking about a ls3 for it, just hate to do it to mine, due to it only having 46,000 miles. But a ls in one would be tits.

From what I've read the 4l80 isn't any larger than a TH400 , just longer.

My Vette was originally LS5 equipped but the 454 is long gone so it's not super valuable car but I'm not willing to hack the floor/tunnel ether.