• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LS Timing Chain Tensioner

Sawzall

Anyone running an LS3 timing chain tensioner on their engine that has failed? I installed a C7R chain on the 402 that I am building using an iron block and the chain has slack. I can add the LS3 tensioner or the LS2 dampener. The tensioner would be better but I have read that several have failed and dropped pieces into the oil pan.

No prior knowledge on this subject Perry but from a quick bit of reading on ls1tech it looks like the dampner would be a more reliable method however the install would require you to have the mounting holes drilled and tapped in the block by a machine shop. But while you've got the block apart, now would be the time to do it so that you can get all of the metal shaving out. Also looks like there's a lot of guys running neither a dampner or tensioner with no issues.

"The bolts that hold the dampener in place are quite long. The area of the block to be drilled is fairly thin comparatively speaking. So, in order to drill and tap this area to accept the dampener's retaining bolts, this section of the block would have to be drilled all the way through."

I ordered a Trick flow adapter that hangs a dampener from the cam retainer bolts. Maybe that will be good enough since the block is assembled with the rod bolts stretched to specs.