• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Marlin's Long Spline Driveline Kit Question

84Toyota4x4

So, I got one of these kits, but it didnt come with a zerk fitting for the slip section. I figured it was no big deal and I would just run down to the store to get one. No such luck. Napa and Carquest both have nothing that will fit the threaded hole in the driveline. I went through their big plastic assortment pack trays, and even tore open a few of the cards hanging on the shelf with them. After that, I finally gave up and called Marlin. They said that none of the kits come with that fitting (he checked some on the shelf supposedly), and they have no idea what size it is. Big help.

Anyway, has anyone ran this kit before? Its the same one All Pro sells as well, so I assume SOMEONE knows what size it is, where to get one, or has a solution to the problem. Im tempted to just drill and retap it, but Id rather use the hole it came with.

~T.J.

Just grease it up by hand. The zerk will get ripped off ASAP anyways.

I also hate to say it but they bend so just be ready for it. Mine bent first trip out with it at the hammers. I personaly think thats one product where the TG one is better design. That or the big coarse spline stuff from High angle (what I run now).

They bend in the small diameter area after the splines end...not sure why Marlin would sell one like that since he's the "inventor" of the total spline gear sets etc.

Should I try and find a plug or anything for it where its supposed to go?

~T.J.

wouldn't worry about.

If yoru going to actually use it its going to get covered in crap anyways, and if you plug it you can cuz it to hyrdolock since the air can't come out. :awesomework:

How much difference is it? Can you drill and tap to make one fit?
Yeah, but thats almost not the point. I want one that fits if possible.

I think its funny how everyone freaked out when Trail Gear didnt know the part number to their product, but no one seems to care about Marlin with the same lack of knowledge or support for a product they sell. Granted, the difference between a seal and a grease fitting is big, but its the principal thats the same.

I guess I may just run it open as mentioned, It should be easy enough to just grease it up as needed, especially since I havent installed the dust cap and seal on it yet. What a pain though. It should come with one, or at least be a common damn size. The other side of the shaft is just a solid flat spot. If both sides were like that, then I could drill and tap it myself right the first time. I just dont want to have to fix someone elses part I paid money for to work.

~T.J.

your really shouldn't use any of the stuff IMO... just traps crap and makes it hydrolock. I've been running them that style wide open for years with no issue other than bending them. The tin shield is garbage after one rock hit and just gets mangledup.

Yeah, but thats almost not the point. I want one that fits if possible.

I think its funny how everyone freaked out when Trail Gear didnt know the part number to their product, but no one seems to care about Marlin with the same lack of knowledge or support for a product they sell. Granted, the difference between a seal and a grease fitting is big, but its the principal thats the same.

~T.J.

What you aren't getting is there is a loooong history of Chris Geiger straight up ****ing people over and now he's with TG so the people that hated him when he was with All Pro, then Marlin still hate him now that he's with TG. The big difference is now there is another reason to hate that cocky useless some of a goat. He peddles cheap chinese **** rather than American or even Indian stuff like most of the others do....

Im fully aware of all that. Ive been around long enough for it. Im just saying its still the same deal. Theyre both selling products they have no info or support for. You cant blame Chris if Marlin is still selling products they cant support or have info for after he left. Marlin chose to sell a product without info or support for it, just as Trail Gear did (the pump seal). Same thing, regardless of the employees who work there, yet no one gets up in arms about it when Marlin does it.

All that aside, I just wanted a solution and to see what others have done with the same kit. Thats all. I shouldnt have even made the comment I did and started all the drama here. Its just dumb to me when people bash one company but not another when theyre guilty of the same thing (in this situation) IMO.

Back on topic, it sounds like Im just gonna run the thing open and call it good.

~T.J.

Thanks Crash. Like I said, Im just a little frustrated about my recent dealings with them, and I should have never made the comment. Like I also said, I just wanted a solution for the fitting size. I figured if both Marlin and All Pro sell the same kit, more than just I have realized that there are no fittings easily found that fit it.

Anyway, the 1/4" fittings are too big, also the 6mm fittings are too big. Since the hole is already threaded, you cant really use the drive in style, not that I can find those small enough either though. Im thinking I might drill it out and just use a drive in style (to make it super easy) and call it good. If I even decide to run a fitting at all that is.

~T.J.

EDIT: For now, Im just going to clean it up, get it painted, and run it open with no sleeve. I dont mind running it without the sleeve, I just think it would be nice to be able to squeeze some grease in there to help "push out" all the crud that will accumulate without taking the thing apart everytime.

Last edited:

i was thinking the same thing.:awesomework: