• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Metal building with living area

Re:

I looked Into this in my area what I wanted was going to be 200k wich I was totally fine with but the back said no way in he'll because there was no comps to value it with

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TNGreg said:
Has anybody built or live in a metal building with living area? I have been kicking around the idea of a 40'x100' metal building, 40x50 living area and 40x50 shop.
got 1 you need come look at its a 40x100 with 40x40 house and love it

karatejosh said:
I looked Into this in my area what I wanted was going to be 200k wich I was totally fine with but the back said no way in he'll because there was no comps to value it with

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That`s what I have been wondering is when its time to close how are ya`ll getting the bank to find comps? Are ya`ll just leaving it as a shop loan or turning it into a home mortgage at closing?

Dragging this old thread back up from the dead. The ole lady and I are still talking about building a SHOME but are now probably within about a year of it. So I have been looking at pics all over the internet for ideas and probably have 100 pics saved. Finally found one we both agreed upon and really love. I called the company building them out in Texas and ask could I purchase a set of general layout plans. Their answer was I have to drive out there and sit down with them and plans start at $2500 and go up. Not sure I am that serious at this point so I took to drawing myself in Microsoft excel. So below is just a very rough drawing of what it would look like and how it would be laid out inside. I know I only have broad dimensions and know I will lose 11" per outside wall when I get ready to build. Basically its been slow here at work lately, so I ask of you all to look at the rough drawings below and pick it apart. What experiences have you all had in the past and see where I might be screwing up. Also has anyone ever tried to have a safe room placed in a house and use it as a closet/pantry? I talked to a guy at a local home remodel show and he said didn't see why not but wasn't sure how I would finish the outside to make it look worthy of being in the house and look part of the walls. The other picture is a picture I stole from their fb page to kinda show what the outside looks like. Overall building is 45' x 100' with 12' sidewalls. I had the building quoted a couple of different ways and so far it was ALOT more expensive than I thought it would be.

a58eq1.png

2gvlqpt.jpg

Being able to back up under the porch and unload groceries right into the kitchen would be cool for when the weather is nasty. I think it would be nice to be able to go from the shop into the laundry room, get out of dirty clothes, then straight into the shower, having a master closet with access to the laundry room will be in a future house, if I ever build. You could do 10ft ceilings with 12ft sidewalls and make it appear bigger and more grand inside. Put a deep sink in the shop so you can wash your hands. If the roof is pitched high enough you could put an upstairs room in for storage and heat and ac equipment and maybe on demand hot water heater. Size your windows to fit between the girts so the steel work will be cheaper. 6" wall between shop and house and stuff it full of insulation and 5/8" fire rated sheetrock both sides. Skylights over the shop side. Maybe a 4' overhang at the roll up doors just to help keep rain from splashing inside, wish my shop now had that.

I think that will be a nice place when you get it done. :dblthumb:

grcthird said:
Being able to back up under the porch and unload groceries right into the kitchen would be cool for when the weather is nasty. I think it would be nice to be able to go from the shop into the laundry room, get out of dirty clothes, then straight into the shower, having a master closet with access to the laundry room will be in a future house, if I ever build. You could do 10ft ceilings with 12ft sidewalls and make it appear bigger and more grand inside. Put a deep sink in the shop so you can wash your hands. If the roof is pitched high enough you could put an upstairs room in for storage and heat and ac equipment and maybe on demand hot water heater. Size your windows to fit between the girts so the steel work will be cheaper. 6" wall between shop and house and stuff it full of insulation and 5/8" fire rated sheetrock both sides. Skylights over the shop side. Maybe a 4' overhang at the roll up doors just to help keep rain from splashing inside, wish my shop now had that.

I think that will be a nice place when you get it done. :dblthumb:

Good ideas. It has an entrance from shop to utility room. The smaller 8x8 door with electric opener is for the ole lady to unload groceries, 10 ft ceilings I really don't want to do because of heating and such, plus to have some room above it for the mentioned storage. Like the idea of fire rated sheetrock. Like the idea of awnings. Got kids but they older and hopefully not having the sound barrier will help them move out. molaugh molaugh Planning to do an on demand water heater for sure. Have to look at the windows and see what we can come up with.

Will for sure think about sound barrier because the bedroom by the side door will be my mom's one day hence the wheelchair size doors there in place. I don't do a lot of building stuff and its probably overkill for what I need in reality for a shop. I mostly like to tinker working on vehicles do a few motor swaps or something.

Last year we build a "barn Dominim" basically steel house with inside framed how we wanted. Buddy builds these all time and he built ours.

The you have to come here is crap! I can hook you up with folks who did our plans and the metal company who supplied it all.

Pm me if I can help.

We love ours; 6" perlin walls, vertically every 2 feet, then we foam filled them. Then in ceiling we filled 10" full width of the I beams, our electrical bills are great and even in TX heat is way better than our friends.

Urinal in the corner of the shop next to the outside fridge and maybe pool table. Only recommendation I've got. Looks good otherwise.

Nothing to add, but I use Floorplanner.com to sketch up floor plans. Easy to use and can draw and store one floor plan for free. Can change add the wall thickness and place appliances, cabinets, and etc. to see how things fit too. I have multiple floor plans for the same house in the same file as a work around to keep from paying.

whiskeymakin said:
So, what is a real world cost per sq. Foot on something like this?

Well I think that is a good question. I would assume you rate these just like a regular house?? This one was quoted at $67-$88/sq ft (taking only living area into consideration) and he said that was a mid-line interior finish. I have some friends that have stick built and metal built with sub contracting themself for as low as $52/sq ft. I called a local builder to ask about a house and he quoted $89/sq ft for a turn key house built. Found out later they were a very high end builder, so I am sure it could be done cheaper.