• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Metal building with living area

TBItoy said:
I had about $30/sqft in mine (1/2 shop 1/2 house)

but it's a 42x60 wood pole barn w/ 4" concrete, 10' walls, and built 9 yrs ago.

How much of it did you do yourself though?

civicmindedex79 said:
Did you calculate just with sq ft of living area or total building?
[/quote

Total building,

shop area has metal on the inside walls, and a 7x7 full bathroom + double sinktop "shop sink"

whiskeymakin said:
How much of it did you do yourself though?

I sub'd the dirt work, pad, building complete with a center stud wall and front stud wall, 8 window, 3 man doors, 1 12' garage door, 1 16' garage door, HVAC ($5k), kitchen cabinets/countertops ($5k)

I did the interior stud walls, electrical, plumbing, blow insulation etc. I have wood walls (sawmill poplar) and white roof tin on my ceiling so there wasn't any paint or drywall work.

I originally just had painted concrete floors and indoor/outdoor carpet in the bedrooms, later had sheet vinyl and "real" carpet put down.

Re: Re: Metal building with living area

civicmindedex79 said:
Well I think that is a good question. I would assume you rate these just like a regular house?? This one was quoted at $67-$88/sq ft (taking only living area into consideration) and he said that was a mid-line interior finish. I have some friends that have stick built and metal built with sub contracting themself for as low as $52/sq ft. I called a local builder to ask about a house and he quoted $89/sq ft for a turn key house built. Found out later they were a very high end builder, so I am sure it could be done cheaper.
Also, was that just living area included in that average or total cost divided by just living area?

Re:

How can calculating price per sq ft be anywhere close to accurate for comparison? There is a big price difference in all steel construction vs pole barn style. Different wall heights would make price vary (say 10' vs 16' or more). How much of the shop is taken up by living quarters - some will have more shop space left, some will have less shop space left. And of course how nice you make the living quarter space, and whether a wrap around covered porch is desired (more metal/wood/concrete/labor).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Metal building with living area

paradisepwoffrd said:
Also, was that just living area included in that average or total cost divided by just living area?

That is total quote divided by only the living area. I honestly am not sure how you figure it? Usually just get so much credit for a shop but all that is counted is heated sq footage in my experience.

Re:

TacomaJD said:
How can calculating price per sq ft be anywhere close to accurate for comparison? There is a big price difference in all steel construction vs pole barn style. Different wall heights would make price vary (say 10' vs 16' or more). How much of the shop is taken up by living quarters - some will have more shop space left, some will have less shop space left. And of course how nice you make the living quarter space, and whether a wrap around covered porch is desired (more metal/wood/concrete/labor).

Welcome to what my mortgage company has to worry about!!!

Re:

Pretty feasible question lol. To me, cost per sq ft should not even apply here. So long as you can get a quote from metal building builder and whoever finishes the home out, you'd think they could move forward with that. But if you plan to be your own general contractor on the house part, I could see where that would be an issue.

Mortgage companies damn sure don't want you to have any extra spending money after it's built.

Dragging this back up one more time. We have the old house slab out of the way, "official prints" drawn and have a contractor working on a quote to see where we stand. We have decided to turn the shome long ways so that the current drive can be used but that means we have to move our mobile home to build now. I thought I would share what we came up with overall and see if any thoughts were out there of things we missed.

Not doing recessed lighting inside the garage. Lady that drew the plans threw them in last minute for some reason.

zycc93.png

Re:

That big ole covered porch will be sweet! But I don't see where the pool table and stripper pole is gonna be? Must have reinforced stripper pole for thosw big girls when they feel froggy.

Re:

TacomaJD said:
That big ole covered porch will be sweet! But I don't see where the pool table and stripper pole is gonna be? Must have reinforced stripper pole for thosw big girls when they feel froggy.

Can't give away all the secrets and waiting for the 19 year old daughter to move out first. ;D

I would lose half of the hallway behind the kitchen, make that bedroom bigger & run cabinets all the way to where the French doors are.

Also flip-flop the dining / living space and add a corner fireplace, spot to hang the big screen. Possibly put an outside fireplace in that same corner & share the flue work.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

HotwheelsYJ said:
I would lose half of the hallway behind the kitchen, make that bedroom bigger & run cabinets all the way to where the French doors are.

Also flip-flop the dining / living space and add a corner fireplace, spot to hang the big screen. Possibly put an outside fireplace in that same corner & share the flue work.

dang I was gonna post the exact same thing, maximize the kitchen space by dead ending that hallway with the bedroom door

HotwheelsYJ said:

Like the bedroom idea. Flopping the living and dining room is already done. Don't care anything for a fireplace just my thoughts. Thanks for the ideas, that is what I am looking for.

Also really liking the idea of making a 12' overhang in front of the garage doors to keep inside dry and more parking. I am going to have them quote that also.

It would kill the efficiency but I have thought, I would consider building the living area as a crawlspace with a thin concrete under, and/or leaving a narrow space between the interior & exterior walls DP that you could get in to repair/add in the future. Or maybe just 1 side and have all the plumbing in that wall.

To me one advantage of this design is adaptability and potential access, but it adds cost.

paradisepwoffrd said:
It would kill the efficiency but I have thought, I would consider building the living area as a crawlspace with a thin concrete under, and/or leaving a narrow space between the interior & exterior walls DP that you could get in to repair/add in the future. Or maybe just 1 side and have all the plumbing in that wall.

To me one advantage of this design is adaptability and potential access, but it adds cost.

The way these are built they have a 12" "air gap" sort of speaking because of trying to have smooth walls and hide the beams. So you have some room. I am a weird one and like a concrete slab. I talked with the builder and his thoughts on running all water plumbing overhead so that 90% of it would be serviceable. He didn't really have an opinion on it just said whatever I wanted to do. Have to have some of it under for the center island sink and all.

TBItoy said:
Are you doing in-floor heat? or at least running the tubing for it?

No plans to. Don't know anyone around this area that ever does it. My old house never got that cold really with concrete slab and tile floors. This one will have the laminate wood plank flooring.