• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Metal or wood

kevinhumphrey

Going to buy a new trailer to haul my buggy on. The price between wood floor and metal floor is not very much so that is not a concern. The one I have now has a metal floor but I question when buying a new one should I buy wood or metal floor and the reason why?? It will be kept inside so weather is not a concern for me!! Thanks for your opinions!!

I like my wood deck because I can lay down to work on my rig in the middle of summer and not get burnt. That said, I am considering a steel deck on my next one because they are more durable and you have more options for tie down points.

Metal floor all the way. Only way I would go with wood is if it's a big difference in price (which you say it isn't), or the size you want is not offered in metal floor. Oil and grease **** comes out of your rig, pressure washes right off at the car wash and don't look like a giant turd. No rickety ass warping boards to deal with or replace. No fawking with it....just use the hell out of it until you get ready to sell it. Then it will resale for more than a wood floor unit.

I also might add, I have never completely wiped out on a wood deck trailer. I have a metal floor, but I am uber careful when I walk on it.

lowbudgetjunk said:
I also might add, I have never completely wiped out on a wood deck trailer. I have a metal floor, but I am uber careful when I walk on it.

This is one of my concerns with a steel deck. I've also heard of people having a hard time loading a muddy rig on steel. This could be cured with some kind of stick on non skid surface or spray on bed liner. That only drives the price up though.

TacomaJD said:
Metal floor all the way. Only way I would go with wood is if it's a big difference in price (which you say it isn't), or the size you want is not offered in metal floor. Oil and grease **** comes out of your rig, pressure washes right off at the car wash and don't look like a giant turd. No rickety ass warping boards to deal with or replace. No fawking with it....just use the hell out of it until you get ready to sell it. Then it will resale for more than a wood floor unit.

Agree 100%, plus you can load up on it a broke rig and work on it without losing parts through the cracks in a wood floor. I just did this at AOP a few weeks back when I had to drop my belly pan to get to the transmission linkage in the rain.

The only negative about a steel deck to me is the noise level. Steel reflects sound like a huge speaker, other than that, I love it. :dblthumb:

CHASMAN9 said:
The only negative about a steel deck to me is the noise level. Steel reflects sound like a huge speaker, other than that, I love it. :dblthumb:

Got that right! I used to hate loading up late at night after I got off work to go wheeling the next day....I'm sure my neighbors hated it worse molaugh

CHASMAN9 said:
Agree 100%, plus you can load up on it a broke rig and work on it without losing parts through the cracks in a wood floor. I just did this at AOP a few weeks back when I had to drop my belly pan to get to the transmission linkage in the rain.

as soon as I saw this I thought about that daggum skid plate and how I almost completely ate it trying to crawl under that buggy! and then again trying to get back up!! :rolf:

stupid rain

smbroady82 said:
as soon as I saw this I thought about that daggum skid plate and how I almost completely ate it trying to crawl under that buggy! and then again trying to get back up!! :rolf:

stupid rain

Hah, good to have finally met you and thanks for the help. That thing was a beast and no way would I have gotten it back up in place by myself. :dblthumb:

Re:

Only thing about metal floor on my trailer is the paint is coming off and some rusting.

Looking at rhino liner, which will help with the sheet of ice.

Re:

ROKTOY829 said:
Only thing about metal floor on my trailer is the paint is coming off and some rusting.

Now that sounds like a smart idea. thumb.gif

I have only had wood floored trailers but seen a few accidents on a snowy or heavy frosty morning with heavy equipment sliding off ramps and even the deck it's self, wood can still be slick also.

Re:

ROKTOY829 said:

Get Rustoleum in the gallon jugs and roll it on very thick. Been doing parts I build this way for years and done my trailer over a year ago and it looks new when I wash it off. If you apply is thick enough it will dry smooth like powder coat.

Re:

Didn't think about the Rustoleum.

Figured if i did the bedliner stuff then oil would soak into if leaked on it.

Latest posts