• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mig Wire Q

.023" does pretty well for what you're after, .030" will work if you're patient, but it's not just the wire that makes the difference of a good weld or not....

Good Q... I'm new to mig welding with my ready welder(24v trail welder) and I'm almost out of my .035 flux core wire... Should I buy a smaller gauge next time? My heat range is controlled by line feed... And haven't had any problems so far with what I've got... Would something smaller gauge be a little more forgiving for 'on the trails'?

If you have a little wee wee machine like a 100 amp, then use .023 fgor everthing. Anything thicker will rob heat from the machine. It will waste current burning wire, not penetrating base metal.

If its a 140 amp model then you could use .030, but I prefer .023 in the 110 machines.

.030 tends to lay on top even with the machine ALL THE WAY UP.

Good Q... I'm new to mig welding with my ready welder(24v trail welder) and I'm almost out of my .035 flux core wire... Should I buy a smaller gauge next time? My heat range is controlled by line feed... And haven't had any problems so far with what I've got... Would something smaller gauge be a little more forgiving for 'on the trails'?

Do yourself a favor and ONLY use that thing for the trail.

Get a decent 220 volt mig welder for at home. If 220 is not an option, get at LEAST a 140 amp 110 model.

Using that ready welder is like punishment to me.

Well a friend has lent me his Licoln-100 /w.023/w.035 tip? I made a bunch'o test passes, with no penateration. The passes, all fell off/wtap of hammar:wtf: My friend mensioned maybe need bigger wire?

Well a friend has lent me his Licoln-100 /w.023/w.035 tip? I made a bunch'o test passes, with no penateration. The passes, all fell off/wtap of hammar:wtf: My friend mensioned maybe need bigger wire?

1 get the right tip.

2 turn the machine ALL THE WAY UP. (heat that is, not wire speed)

Bigger wire will make your problem worse. Use only .023 in that widdle machine.

If you have a little fire, what burns faster? Little peices of firewood or huge logs? :corn:

You are using gas correct? What mix? What flow rate? Got the correct nozzle or is it still a fluxcore tip/nozzle?

and make sure the polarity in the machine is set correctly for the type of wire too...

so if using gas shielding or not... the polarity changes for each wire type...

and make sure the polarity in the machine is set correctly for the type of wire too...

so if using gas shielding or not... the polarity changes for each wire type...

Good call. :awesomework:

Look inside the door to refil the wire spool. It will give you the chart about how to wire it for MIG vs Suxcore.

Keep running .035 your welder runs pretty hot

I use 030 fluxcore for everything. Have to stutter the trigger on light sheetmetal to prevent blowout (or use a copper backing), but by playing with the heat and wire speed, you can weld just about anything within reason. Its my understanding that fluxcore can tolerate poor prep work better than straight MIG also. I'd buy that, since all my welds to my lawnmower have held up, and it was less than good prep work!

The machine and wire size is not your problem, your having problems because you don't know how to weld, you should have someone from here that's competent give you hand and maybe they can teach you a little about welding :D

Until I can outfit my sammi with a mini argon/co2 bottle, I'm gonna stick with flux-core... But it does have the capability to do it...

So... What's the amp draw difference between 110/140/220... In comparison to say batteries in series? Here's the amp specs on my wittle welder: *Connects to Batteries - 18 Volt Battery can do Thin Sheet Metal - 24 Volt will Single Pass 1/2" @275 amp - 36 Volt will Weld up to 3/4" @350 to 400 amp *Welds 22 Gage to 3/4" *

Seems like I've had little trouble getting penetration at 24v and .035 flux wire so far... But I'm still learning to manage speed vs desired penetration of the weld...

And if I did get a trail bottle, & solid core wire... Would I still need a home/shop welder? Or would this be handy-capable enough?

Until I can outfit my sammi with a mini argon/co2 bottle, I'm gonna stick with flux-core... But it does have the capability to do it...

So... What's the amp draw difference between 110/140/220... In comparison to say batteries in series? Here's the amp specs on my wittle welder: *Connects to Batteries - 18 Volt Battery can do Thin Sheet Metal - 24 Volt will Single Pass 1/2" @275 amp - 36 Volt will Weld up to 3/4" @350 to 400 amp *Welds 22 Gage to 3/4" *

Seems like I've had little trouble getting penetration at 24v and .035 flux wire so far... But I'm still learning to manage speed vs desired penetration of the weld...

And if I did get a trail bottle, & solid core wire... Would I still need a home/shop welder? Or would this be handy-capable enough?

Gas won't do **** for you on trail! Flux core you can weld through mud and water, that welder is not designed to do much production welding. Get a Lincoln 110 from home depot for home keep your redi welder in your rig. :beer: