• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mig Wire Q

So... What's the amp draw difference between 110/140/220... In comparison to say batteries in series? Here's the amp specs on my wittle welder: *Connects to Batteries - 18 Volt Battery can do Thin Sheet Metal - 24 Volt will Single Pass 1/2" @275 amp - 36 Volt will Weld up to 3/4" @350 to 400 amp *Welds 22 Gage to 3/4" *

I think your mixing terms here a little bit.

110 and 220 is the voltage coming out of the wall for a plug in style welder.

90/100/110/140 or anything in that area, is a common amperage output of a 110v plug in style welder. Some are fixed, some are adjustable (turn up the heat).

Your 110v or 220v A/C plug in welder steps the voltage DOWN to around 12v DC or so to get the amperage needed to weld.

Your trail welder is already running DC power, so its welding ability will depend on how much battery you can throw at it. At 24v of battery, that thing should weld as good as a high end 110v plug in welder, or about any 220v plug in welder by the specs you posted above.

Keep in mind however that your engine should be running while welding with a battery powered welder. You will suck that battery dry pretty fast, and your welds will get progressively worse and worse.

For household stuff, a cheap home depot Lincoln 110v would probably be better than abusing your trail welder. Starting and stopping your engine every time you want to weld is kind of a pain in the butt.

Well a friend has lent me his Licoln-100 /w.023/w.035 tip? I made a bunch'o test passes, with no penateration. The passes, all fell off/wtap of hammar:wtf: My friend mensioned maybe need bigger wire?

if you have the wrong tip do you have the correct feed rollers?

HAHAHA looking at the chart the machine is not rated to weld higher then 14ga with solid core wire

lincoln-100_zps26bd74cc.jpg

We use a 140 lincoln, stargon mix and does plenty good.

Of course I normally use 1/8 to 1/4" max, I ran a double pass on my spring hangers (1/4") the other day. It'll burn into stuff pretty good.

I wanna get a 220 soon, then keep the 140 setup for sheet metal all the time and have the 220 setup for 1/4"-3/8" or

I went through the same thing. a long time ago, post a pic of your weld and that will help everyone tell you what you are doing wrong.
If you are thinking of stepping up to a 220V I might have a miller 175 coming available real soon

I have a Miller 211 dual voltage machine and run 0.30 all the time. It even has the autoset wire speed stuff and most of the time is sets its self dead on. Only on thin stuff do I have to manually set the wire speed.

I ran it on 110v for a while and it would penetrate 3/16" just fine. Once I stepped up to running it on 220v it was like having a whole new welder it performs so well.

I ran the little home depot Lincoln Migs for years and they will get you by, but take my advice and just jump into a nice 220v machine now and save the headaches and hassles of those baby welders.

I have a Miller 211 dual voltage machine and run 0.30 all the time. It even has the autoset wire speed stuff and most of the time is sets its self dead on. Only on thin stuff do I have to manually set the wire speed.

I ran it on 110v for a while and it would penetrate 3/16" just fine. Once I stepped up to running it on 220v it was like having a whole new welder it performs so well.

I ran the little home depot Lincoln Migs for years and they will get you by, but take my advice and just jump into a nice 220v machine now and save the headaches and hassles of those baby welders.

Same here. After seeing Jacobs setup I bought the same thing. been working great for my needs.

Gas won't do **** for you on trail! Flux core you can weld through mud and water, that welder is not designed to do much production welding. Get a Lincoln 110 from home depot for home keep your redi welder in your rig. :beer:

:awesomework:

Buddy of mine just picked up a 211 Autoset...Just last night he was talking about how sweet it is.

Gas won't do **** for you on trail! Flux core you can weld through mud and water, that welder is not designed to do much production welding. Get a Lincoln 110 from home depot for home keep your redi welder in your rig. :beer:

I wouldn't say you could weld through mud and water to someone who is new to welding they might take you literally. :D

A note on the 211, if you are only going to weld using 220v a 180 is a better deal, just as capable, and a few hundred less. Miller typically under rates their machines quite a bit in my opinion anyways. Im used to using a XMT, but I got a 180 for home use, millers recommended voltage and wire speed is super hot and fast in my opinion, I tried their specs at first and the settings they recommend are great for someone who is learning, in the end I just tune it in like the XMT, couple test passes and go to work.

THANK YOU to everyone!! CHEERS:beer: I do believe The question has beeen answered. Iwill give my friends popmetal burner back, and stick to what I now,220 DC/AC BUMBLEBEE.

I wish I could afford a 211 but for now I have a Lincoln 175 220v and it does all I need on the rig and around the house. It rips pretty good and I picked it up for less than a 1/3 of the miller :awesomework:

A weld can only be as strong as it is clean... Contaminants are not burned out of a weld, they are burned in, and weaken a good weld... I just love having the option!

A weld can only be as strong as it is clean... Contaminants are not burned out of a weld, they are burned in, and weaken a good weld... I just love having the option!

Don't ask me, I don't know how to weld :beer: