• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Millermatic vs. Hobart

I shopped and looked and ended up with the Ironman 230 with spool gun and love it. For the price you cant beat it.
I know of folks that run the piss outta theirs without a hitch.
I found mine shipped for about 1500 with the spoolgun.

Re: Re: Re: Millermatic vs. Hobart

Rokcrler said:
I shopped and looked and ended up with the Ironman 230 with spool gun and love it. For the price you cant beat it.
I know of folks that run the piss outta theirs without a hitch.
I found mine shipped for about 1500 with the spoolgun.
I'm kind of leaning that way. I've never ran out of heat. It's the duty cycle I'm always up against. Of the 60% machines that I can afford that seems like the best buy considering I would get a warranty. If I ever did need more heat I could always tig it with the fridge. :)

Re: Re: Millermatic vs. Hobart

I was in a huge debate with my self over the 252, 212 and 211. I decided on the 212. The 252 is nice but the price was hard to swallow for just a few more features and amps of the 212. The 211 is a nice machine just not the duty cylce of the 212 and it has a 10' gun. One the plus its 6-700 cheaper than the 212. Also the 211 is portable and will run either 110 or 220. I got my 212 out the door for 1700.

I had a Lincoln 250 and loved it. Once I used a newer miller I fell in love with them. They are so much smoother than any other mig I've used. Not sure if the newer Hobart's have the same drive set up as the miller matics but I know the older hobarts don't compare to the new millers.

fl-krawler said:
I thought when the 252 first came out you could get it with the pulser feature. Apparently it is now only an option on the 350p. That would have been my only reason for an upgrade

The 350 doesn't have a pulser like what a tig has, pulse mode is similar to spray welding but you can do it a lower amperage than spray.

I was about to buy the Hobart 230, but I ran across a good deal on a 251 and ended up with it. I'm no welder, but I love my 251, it almost makes me not look like so much of a hack. I do think you'd be happy with the 230 though. TSC runs them on sale every now and then.

I know that its cool to buy the big 2 name brands. I myself have all Lincoln welders. If I had to do it over today I would most likely buy either a HTP America or Everlast IGBT machine. Now before all the haters start in on me for talking about buying chineese made things, these are great machines for the price. I've personally used both and they are fine machines. You get more for your money with either machine. Jmho

I have a small Everlast portable DC TIG machine. It has a very nice, stable arc. I can't speak to its longevity over time as I rarely use it and have only had it a few months but I like it a lot. For thin steel projects I prefer its arc over my Synchrowave 350's. Granted, the Synchrowave is over 20 years older.

I use my MIG so much that I doubt I would take a chance on an unknown. HTP seems to be building a good name for itself and that 2400 machine is a lot of machine for $1500. (They're out of stock right now.)

I bought a Hobart 187 about 8 or 9 years ago because Pirate4x4 said it was brilliant. Guess what, sumbitches was right. Its finally starting to shoe its age but considering what hell I've put it through and what I've built with it I'm astonished by it.

I almost went with the htp. Seemed decent. I watched the same video. Deciding factor was they were back ordered and if there was ever a break down or warranty issue. They even agreed to swap the gun for their flexible gun at no charge.

I haven't received it yet but I bought a used Millermatic 251 from a broker on eBay. The lowest price I could find on them was around $1250 for really old broken down units. This one was $1400 but is in pristine condition and came with a really nice new welding helmet, the used Miller gun, a new Tweco gun, a spool of wire and .023, .030, .035 rollers. At the last minute one popped up locally on CL that was in great shape but the guy wouldn't budge on his $1500 price and it didn't come with any of the stuff that this one on eBay did. It should be here around the end of the week.

patooyee said:
I haven't received it yet but I bought a used Millermatic 251 from a broker on eBay. The lowest price I could find on them was around $1250 for really old broken down units. This one was $1400 but is in pristine condition and came with a really nice new welding helmet, the used Miller gun, a new Tweco gun, a spool of wire and .023, .030, .035 rollers. At the last minute one popped up locally on CL that was in great shape but the guy wouldn't budge on his $1500 price and it didn't come with any of the stuff that this one on eBay did. It should be here around the end of the week.

Good choice. That's where I got mine from too. I had him ship it through Fastenal, and it was very reasonable.

Re: Re: Re: Millermatic vs. Hobart

hokie_yj said:
Good choice. That's where I got mine from too. I had him ship it through Fastenal, and it was very reasonable.
That's good to hear.

kmcminn said:
You will be happy with it I have an older 250x. I will do anything I want it to do. I need to get a liner for it right now.
I got a spool gun 25' if I am rembering correctly. Never used it. Especially since I have the tig.

That was kind of a deciding factory for me, too. I had the spool gun for my old Lincoln but I sucked with it. Once I got my TIG the spool gun was history. I sold it with the welder. I can see how someone who does production stuff might use one constantly. I have a buddy who builds elevators out of aluminum and he spools his boxes all the time, its just faster. But I'm not doing production work and the TIG will do more than the spool gun ever could.