• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Millermatic vs. Hobart

patooyee

I know that Hobart is made by Miller. I have heard that Hobart is basically just the previous generation Miller of equal rating. Right now it seems like the big thing with Miller is the auto-set feature. But most everything I've read online about it is that its not that useful. I'm used to having to set my heat and speed, don't mind it at all. I know the auto-sets allow you to manually override if you want but I just don't know that auto-set is worth a single dime to me.

I've tried a Millermatic 251 in the past - LOVED IT. Laid some of the nicest welds I've ever laid and that was a long time ago, before I was the welder I am now. The current equivalent is the Millermatic 252, but at $2500 its definitely out of my price range. I would happily buy a used 251 if I could find one but is the Hobart Ironman 230 the current equivalent of the old Millermatic 251? If so, at $1500 it would be worth it to me to have a new machine with warranty.

I don't really care much for color. My TIG machine is blue so a matching MIG would be neat. But if a white machine welds like an old blue machine then I'm all about some white power. ;)

I have the Hobart 210 and love it. Best welder I've ever used short of a Miller Mig Runner 300

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

Have the hobart handler 210 at home and it welds just as nice as all the 250,251 and 252 millers I've used. Only complaint is the 10' lead length. Would love to have a 15' for it. Only welder I'd consider upgrading to from this one would be a 350 series with a pulse setting.

Reading more, the Ironman uses the same drive rollers and consumables as the Millers.

I have a millermatic 200 but I can't use it because it's 3 phace if you'd be interested in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a used Ironman 230 on cl a few years ago. It was insanely inconsistent, and I hated it. I sold it and went back to my Lincoln 140. I wouldn't own one again. Maybe I got the bad one, but I couldn't get it to work for me and had several others try it with the same results. Yes the consumables are all the same. I swapped out the liner, and several other parts trying to get it to work. The Lincoln works for everything I need in the garage, but would like another big machine for trusses and such. One day I'd like to try a 252, or pick up a used tig to learn with.

417chevy said:
I have a millermatic 200 but I can't use it because it's 3 phace if you'd be interested in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks but the only way I can get 3-phase at my shop is off the phase converter motor I have to power my lathe and its very noisy. I hate listening to it even when I use he lathe, wouldn't want to listen to it welding, too.

I have a Miller 251, and at another shop I do work at they have a 210.. I prefer the adjustment of the 251. The Hobart 230 has more adjustment than the 210 it seams, but I guess I am just spoiled with the adjustability of the 251. I like being able to adjust my voltage just a tic, instead of having to adjust my travel speed etc. I have read a few places the Hobart welders use cheaper chinese mother boards, but if I had to guess, the same is probably tue of millers these days. If you use it a few times a week, spend the money and get the 251.. You will be glad you did. I've had mine since '02 and I have never had a problem with it (wish I could say the same about my Miller TIG). It has paid for itself many times over

Re:

Ive had the hobart 210 and loved it..sold it because i needed money quick.

Just picked up a hobart 190 and it welds just as good as the 210.

Ive owned 3 hobart machines and never had a problem out of any of them

fl-krawler said:
spend the money and get the 251.

They don't make 251's any more. The onyl way to get one is to buy used. I see used for around $1000 - $1500. The current Miller equivalent is the 252 and its $2500+. That's just not going to happen. I don't weld enough to justify that.

So its between a used 251 for ~1500 or a new Hobart 230 for ~1500.

It would be very difficult to convince me that any welder made in the past 25 years has an American-made board in it nor would I say that foreign boards in my experience are any worse. If there is one thing America is known for, its not our circuit boards.

wont work said:
What Tig welder are you using.

Have you though about hooking a wire feeder to it and just put quick disconnects on the leads.

Such as this or any type for that matter. http://www.millerwelds.com/products/wire_feeders/s_d_70_series/

Synchrowave 350. Its about the size of a refrigerator, ~750 lbs. Moving it around like I do my MIG machine wouldn't be much fun but I admit I haven't considered a wire feeder. Educate me ...

patooyee said:
They don't make 251's any more. The onyl way to get one is to buy used. I see used for around $1000 - $1500. The current Miller equivalent is the 252 and its $2500+. That's just not going to happen. I don't weld enough to justify that.

So its between a used 251 for ~1500 or a new Hobart 230 for ~1500.

It would be very difficult to convince me that any welder made in the past 25 years has an American-made board in it nor would I say that foreign boards in my experience are any worse. If there is one thing America is known for, its not our circuit boards.

I meant to say spend the money and get a 252 (which is the new version of the 251... Hell if I was in the position to buy a new 252 I would, and sell you my 251

fl-krawler said:
I meant to say spend the money and get a 252 (which is the new version of the 251... Hell if I was in the position to buy a new 252 I would, and sell you my 251

What I've read about the 252 is that's its not much of an improvement.

You need a constant voltage machine and yours is a constant current.

But for future a wire feeder is just a separate piece that holds a roll of wire and is just the wire feeder part with a separate power source like you have but different current.

I thought when the 252 first came out you could get it with the pulser feature. Apparently it is now only an option on the 350p. That would have been my only reason for an upgrade

Just bought a millermatic 180 does everything i want, i'm still learning how to weld so the selectivity is nice while im learning...L

Latest posts