• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mini crawler tech needed

whiskeymakin

Eventually I'd like to build something like this for my little one.
I'd like to see some opinions on different parts of it.

This one in the video has some type of manual hydraulic boat steering set up. It looks like a bunch of turns lock to lock, probably to keep psi up.
Has anybody seen a electric hydraulic system that would operate with a steering wheel? The joystick setup like we use for rear steer would work with an electric pump but I'm looking for a steering wheel configuration. The rzr set up is based for a rack not a cylinder. And the boat setups have to have a regular ol p pump that runs on the engine.

Anyways, I figured it would be a good discussion.

https://youtu.be/CjyUMqmukAE

Re:

Iirc there is a subaru that uses an electric ps pump. That mixed with an orbital and ram would work if everything is kept smaller.

There is also some newer cars that have electric steering assist. You could do manual steering with these assist in the column.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

that little thing came across my facebook feed a couple weeks ago. IIRC it is sami axles, sami transfer case, and a 300cc shaft drive 4wheeler. as far as steering goes toyota mr2 and mazada rx8 both have electric power steering.

I think that little thing needs a bigger seat so I can booze cruise in it

The trophy kart thing looks like fun and lots of $s

If you search thru Google you will see where it's had a couple different axle changes, the shocks are repositioned too. I read some where about regular Sammy axles then saw jl20 axles. I think the jl is the 4 lug version and are smaller. I'm assuming it has a brake setup on the tcase

The mini crawler just needs a welded front diff and then it'd be perfect. Cool idea. For my little bozo's it would also need a remote cut off switch like the SRRS guys :stir:

I couldn't agree more on the cut off....sadly it's probably going to take someone in the crowd getting run over to push it

Re:

Toyota mr2 power steering pump.

I'm planning to use a Honda rancher or foreman ES (electric shift) and Sammy tcase and axles.

Or maybe convert a 4.7 yota case to divorced and yota axles.

I'm looking into upgrading the stator in the atv motor to put out enough amps to keep up with the electric power steering pump

So the mr2 pump....fill me in on how it operates.

Does it require a computer?
What tells it to turn on/off? Or does it constantly run with the key on.
You would have a orbital motor and the mr2 pump then the 2x8 or what ever size cylinder...

I have built one of these for my son, 300 fourtrax 4 wheeler motor, sami case, and locked sami axles. steering was the biggest PIA, tried the helm pump (boat steering), didn't seem to work well, then went to the MR2 pump it was much better but still kind of tough for a small kid. Figured out the ram was bad and changed it and worked better. So not sure if the helm pump didn't work or it was mainly the ram. I bought it new and wll sell it if your interested, I paid $425 for it new.

when the front axle was locked in it was still pretty hard to steer. it had plenty of low gear, but would bog on long steep climbs.

I think if it would have had a 450 or 500 motor it would have been a lot better.

whiskeymakin said:
So the mr2 pump....fill me in on how it operates.

Does it require a computer?
What tells it to turn on/off? Or does it constantly run with the key on.
You would have a orbital motor and the mr2 pump then the 2x8 or what ever size cylinder...
I wired mine to a toggle switch, so it could idle and warm up with out it running. and yes orbital and ram

Thanks. I wondered about the boat steering if it would be really slow and tough especially for a child. It seems like it would. The displacement on the helms are really low, but I guess that makes up the power if you are using a larger ram than what's on a boat. Post up any other details if you don't mind. thumb.gif
What was the gearing in the case and axles?

I think the help I bought was for a >300 out board, my main concern was kick back in the wheel and catching his fingers or wrist I thing the helm was 4.3 CI displacement, 4.5 to 5 turns lock to lock. Also the 4 wheeler motor turn backwards, I found this out also by mistake, we had 1 forward and 5 reverse. we had to turn the sami third upside down

whiskeymakin said:
Thanks. I wondered about the boat steering if it would be really slow and tough especially for a child. It seems like it would. The displacement on the helms are really low, but I guess that makes up the power if you are using a larger ram than what's on a boat. Post up any other details if you don't mind. thumb.gif
What was the gearing in the case and axles?

tcase was stock and I think 4.56 gears