• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Moab recommendations

creepycrawly

I'm planning a Moab trip in September. Want to hit all the named trails. Does anyone have a good GPS map route or favored route? How many days should I plan? Any recommendations on where to stay or where to stay away from? I know some of you guys have done it. Let's hear suggestions. I did check Avenza maps and I'm not opposed to buying a track from cartotracks. Just want to know what works and what doesn't.

Matt Maier has the hook up on where to stay. He's got a friend that has cabins and **** out there. His daughter just got back from there a few weeks ago.

We used Carto Tracks out there for a few trails and was very helpful. We also rented a house off VRBO and stayed a few miles south of town, it was right off 191 and had enough parking in front of the house and the driveway for all of our trailers. Here is the one we rented. https://www.vrbo.com/835019?noDates=true

We just went back at Easter this year for the first time! We stayed in what looks like the same place as 01tj and it was a nice place, pretty close to most things and only a couple of miles south of town. When you get to town buy a book with all the trails and that gives all the information you need. I can't remember the name of the book at this moment but they sell them at at several places in town. Also, ask questions! The locals were super nice and helpful when we were there! As for time, we stayed seven full days and only scratched the surface! We took five very capable rigs/ drivers and covered a lot of ground but never got in a hurry or tried to rush the experience. We hit all the big names and some of my favorites were Prichet's Canyon, Clifhanger, Moab Rim Trail, Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike, Hell's Revenge and the hot tubs! We also hit Kane Creek which is very different type of trail for out there. It is a sandy creek bed trail that sits in a valley with water running through it that is nice, but it is so dusty to get to the creek that I could have missed it and not been all that disappointed! Then Potato Salad is only about 2 miles out of town and draws a crowd every afternoon and makes a good place to stop and play some more! On the last day we hit Rusty Nail and it was awesome!

All of these trail heads are not far from town and will take 5-6 hours to enjoy and take in the scenery! Some will take a little longer but we would eat breakfast every morning and leave out of town about 10am and not get back until 7-8pm each day. It was the most awesome week I have ever spent in a Jeep!

Good luck and enjoy!

Jeepnron said:
We just went back at Easter this year for the first time! We stayed in what looks like the same place as 01tj and it was a nice place, pretty close to most things and only a couple of miles south of town. When you get to town buy a book with all the trails and that gives all the information you need. I can't remember the name of the book at this moment but they sell them at at several places in town. Also, ask questions! The locals were super nice and helpful when we were there! As for time, we stayed seven full days and only scratched the surface! We took five very capable rigs/ drivers and covered a lot of ground but never got in a hurry or tried to rush the experience. We hit all the big names and some of my favorites were Prichet's Canyon, Clifhanger, Moab Rim Trail, Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike, Hell's Revenge and the hot tubs! We also hit Kane Creek which is very different type of trail for out there. It is a sandy creek bed trail that sits in a valley with water running through it that is nice, but it is so dusty to get to the creek that I could have missed it and not been all that disappointed! Then Potato Salad is only about 2 miles out of town and draws a crowd every afternoon and makes a good place to stop and play some more! On the last day we hit Rusty Nail and it was awesome!

All of these trail heads are not far from town and will take 5-6 hours to enjoy and take in the scenery! Some will take a little longer but we would eat breakfast every morning and leave out of town about 10am and not get back until 7-8pm each day. It was the most awesome week I have ever spent in a Jeep!

Good luck and enjoy!

Probably talking about this book. A buddy of mine let me borrow it before we left and it was a big help like Jeepnron mentioned.

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Moab-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails/dp/193483825X/ref=asc_df_193483825X/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312138123333&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15295698633692434973&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010629&hvtargid=pla-565452168235&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=60258872337&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=312138123333&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15295698633692434973&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010629&hvtargid=pla-565452168235

That's the book! It will tell most of what you need to know about the trails and how to get there!! Well worth the money!

Thanks for the info, fellas. We are definitely looking to cover some miles and maximize the experience but also don't want to feel rushed which is why I'm thinking a game plan and a flow will help.

We are taking a very capable Juggy and my TJ so it will be easier to stay moving than with a big group. You basically have to drive to all the trailheads, right? How were the local cops as far as equipment violations?

Everyone also says to take a day to go to Arches Park. I have been twice to Moab and never gone to it. Headed there next year and plan to take a day and see what it is all about. I stayed at The Rustic Inn in town. During EJS the prices are high but it is fairly reasonable other times during the year. It is about a block or two off main highway and walking distance to lots of places to eat. Nothing fancy but clean and had some side street parking for trailers

Drive the rigs in Arches, there is a trail in the park that will take you too some beautiful spots

I never noticed the police bothering anyone that was trying to "do right" and there were buggies, truggies, and all sorts of 4x4 were there during the EJS! I did see them stop a RZR that was not doing right but I think as long as you are not attracting attention you will be fine!

We spent 5 days on the rocks and didn't quite cover all the "hard" trails in the book above. We were in RZR's moving out as well. Did Hell's revenge along with Hells gate at night in 40 minutes, but did it during the day in 6 hours with wives and kids and stopping a fair amount. When we took jeeps it was slower going. There is nothing "hard" there but some of Pritchett and Behind the rocks. It is a sightseeing trip, and a good one at that. 5 days wasn't enough.
Must do:
hell's revenge/hells gate, escalator etc
Poison spider/Golden spike/gold bar rim end to end with all optionals (took buddy in built LJ on 37's 12 hours, took us 4 with snack and rain stops)
Moab rim is pretty good. We also did gemini bridges, cool to walk out on, and metal masher.
Top of the world is one of them you have to drive a bit to, but it is the shot with your unit out over a cliff and a pic from the side.
If I were to try and hit all of them, I bet you need a couple weeks to explore and have fun on all the lines.

I agree with everything said so far. Another recommendation for those that want to do some sight seeing and very light wheeling is Canyonlands National Park. We left Moab and took 279 all the way to the end and it turns into Potash Road. Take Potash all the way until it turns into County rd 142. 142 will lead you into the bottom of the park and you can take the switchbacks all the way up to the top. the views are amazing and it is a thrill for the passengers haha.

Jeepnron said:
I never noticed the police bothering anyone that was trying to "do right" and there were buggies, truggies, and all sorts of 4x4 were there during the EJS! I did see them stop a RZR that was not doing right but I think as long as you are not attracting attention you will be fine!

Did you guys trailer your rigs to the trail heads or drive them? I've heard all kinds of conflicting stories on this.

I'm sure if you drive on the streets you at least need brake lights, tail lights, blinkers, etc? I'm sure insurance would be wise too.

I'd like to plan a trip out there one day but not sure how I'd get my rig around town.

1TONTJ said:
Did you guys trailer your rigs to the trail heads or drive them? I've heard all kinds of conflicting stories on this.

I'm sure if you drive on the streets you at least need brake lights, tail lights, blinkers, etc? I'm sure insurance would be wise too.

I'd like to plan a trip out there one day but not sure how I'd get my rig around town.

I've been out 2x for 2 weeks each and as said above barely scratched the surface. Prioritize your trails if you only have 1 week.

There's no perfect answer to your question. Many of the trails start in one place and end in another. We ran Pritchett late one day that eventually dumped us into the back of Behind the Rocks, took us an hour + to make it to pavement near Area BFE entrance off of 191.

When running Poison Spider Mesa we started along Hwy 279 along the Colorado River z(like everyone does) and ended on Gemini Bridges Rd along Hwy 191. This required miles of highway speeds in crawlers that dont do highways - max speed 40 mph, was sketchy.

Others like Moab Rim are typically an in and out trail so a trailer is perfect.

Ideally you'd have a trailer available and also a very capable streetable rig. Police will not harass you unless you're being an ass so be cool and you'll be fine.

When running Pritchett Canyon I would run the 6-7 mile part of the trail with the obstacles then turn around and run it backwards. I think that would save you some time instead of running that very long dirt road back out to 191 and being dumped out a good ways from town.

We were on rzr's, so we dropped machines and one guy at the head of Poison Spider, ran trucks and trailers all the way to Gemini bridges road, then back in a car and got in and ran PS, GS, GBR out Gemini bridges road to the trucks. Then Hauled back to town, one of us going to get the car at the start point, the rest getting a table at teh brewery.
Behind the rocks has some good challenging/fun stuff with sand, again, we staged trucks way south of town at the end of BTR, and ran pritchett all the way out the south end of BTR.

creepycrawly said:
Matt, Ive been watching those videos all week. Looks like you and Ricky B had a good time.

On a side note, my ARB is having the same issues.

We had a blast. I'm hoping to get it all torn apart today and see why it's leaking. The last time a threaded plug had backed all the way out of the diff and was leaking air. Not sure what it is this time. If it's that same plug its getting welded shut. :****: