• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Modifying the NP231...

SayBye

Other than buying an atlas or another case, what other options do I have other than the Tera 4:1 kit? There has to be something out there thats less expensive, something thats maybe just gears, chain and seals. Something that I dont have to pay for the whole other half of the casing...

shop around for a D300 or another 231 and get a doubler kit. I have the DD machine doubler kit with a 231 and a 205 in my rig, love the gearing and its pretty damn strong too.

get a rubi case. the terra low is junk junk junk..the rubi is 32 spline output,4.1 and a much bigger case.you can get them for around a grand. i have tried everything with the 231..broke it all..dont waist your money.

thats kinda what i was leaning toward but i thought i would give this one last shot. thanks guys

Re: Re: Re: Modifying the NP231...

1TONZR2 said:
shop around for a D300 or another 231 and get a doubler kit. I have the DD machine doubler kit with a 231 and a 205 in my rig, love the gearing and its pretty damn strong too.
have the DD doubler aswell, going to run 231/300, what did you do to run a 205 behind the 231?, is there a diff intermediary shaft??

FROM THE EMPTY BOTTLE!

Actually the ones of us who have reds are the ones still running 231s with no problems and the two that are running 300s are running 39" bald TSLs and 42" iroks and they both have broke multiple ones.

Sent from my iPhone using my right hand.

drich394 said:
have the DD doubler aswell, going to run 231/300, what did you do to run a 205 behind the 231?, is there a diff intermediary shaft??

FROM THE EMPTY BOTTLE!

yes, I am running a different intermediate shaft. The 205 was a PITA to put behind it because of the shift rails. I ended up notching the 231 case around the shift rail and made it work that way....also mine is clocked upside-down, so the vent had to be plugged and moved.
I had the 231 Tera Low kit in my S10, so I had to get the 23 spline output shaft in my trans since the input gear in the TL kit is a one of a kind piece....I destroyed that case in harlan...lol it was worth the extra work to get it in there, I love the gearing options and the strength.
The 231 I have has the 6 pinion planetary in it, so it is basically a cheap version of a KluneV.

Brian

1TONZR2 said:
yes, I am running a different intermediate shaft. The 205 was a PITA to put behind it because of the shift rails. I ended up notching the 231 case around the shift rail and made it work that way....also mine is clocked upside-down, so the vent had to be plugged and moved.
I had the 231 Tera Low kit in my S10, so I had to get the 23 spline output shaft in my trans since the input gear in the TL kit is a one of a kind piece....I destroyed that case in harlan...lol it was worth the extra work to get it in there, I love the gearing options and the strength.
The 231 I have has the 6 pinion planetary in it, so it is basically a cheap version of a KluneV.

Brian
sweet, does duffy sell the intermediate shaft or did you have it made?, and all the 231s in the s10 late 23 spline? I've been looking in to throwing a 6 gear in mine while it was open. Can't hurt to have more strength

as far as I know he still sells that shaft. There are actually a couple of other companies starting to make doubler kits like this as well....search a little on pirate4x4 in the vendor areas.
The 231s that were in the earlier S10s (not sure of the year range) usually have the 6 pinion planetary and the wider chain in them already, but they are 27 spline input gears. ...but for me to use the Jeep 231 Tera low case, I had to have a 23 spline output shaft. The 241 also uses the same planetary. In hindsight, I should have saved my money for an atlas...but whatever. I am very pleased with my current setup. I have a damn good crawl ratio with 5.13s in the axle with low low, but I can drop the 231 into hi and 205 into low and get some wheel speed when needed. If I am just cruising around, I usually leave the 205 in low and thats it. The 231 in low and 205 in hi, makes for a nice gear for something that can be crawled, but might need a little bump in there somewhere. low low is the **** for going down hill too....

Brian

Do Work 93YJ said:
Actually the ones of us who have reds are the ones still running 231s with no problems and the two that are running 300s are running 39" bald TSLs and 42" iroks and they both have broke multiple ones.

Sent from my iPhone using my right hand.

yep im running a tera low 231, other than replacing the chain once a year its been flauless, in running 40x17 gumbos