• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

???? Monkey grip locker????

POTTSY 79

Anyone have any experience with this locker? I'm looking for a locker for my gm Dana 60.... Price is great at $330 on ebay.. Kinda looks like a lock-rite but I'd appreciate any input from you guys.... Oh yeah I'm definitely on a budget for this build...

Spartan locker from Yukon is $330 also.

I've put several of them in 60 fronts, seem to work fine and the pins and springs such are pretty beefy, and they come with a new cross pin. Plus you might actually get customer service from Yukon (no idea on "monkey grip")

The monkey grip looks like an old style lockright

I put a Spartan in my front 44, lasted 2 rides and I was told I must have abused it and ran too big of tire and they wouldn't warranty it. Basically one side just clicked but the other would lock. I welded the clicking side so the other still ratchets but I would not recommend Spartan.

xjmarc said:
I put a Spartan in my front 44, lasted 2 rides and I was told I must have abused it and ran too big of tire and they wouldn't warranty it. Basically one side just clicked but the other would lock. I welded the clicking side so the other still ratchets but I would not recommend Spartan.

Damn that sucks. Was that through a dealer, or direct from Yukon?

Isnt' that the whole point of a locker is to abuse it and put a big ol tire on it? :****:

I've never paid attention to a tire size limit on a Spartan, but I did look into a lockright for a Sterling rear end in a farm truck, and they only recommended/warrantied it for 31" tires... :wtflol:

Re: ???? Monkey grip locker????

Broke an 8.8 31 spline axle and R&P with a Spartan. I thought they were kinda tough (the locker)

And LOL @ "monkey grip" :D :D :D :D

Their tire limit is 32 no matter what axle. I got it from an online dealer that I've got shafts and such through and tried to warranty it through Randy's ring and pinion just like all Yukon stuff. I ran Aussies for over 5 years and no issues and they don't have a tire size limit. They changed the design slightly and call them Lokka lockers now and sell dirt cheap, still no size limit.

I run a Spartan locker in my front 60, it has been beat on, it's a noisy SOB, but is still working good!

mdo817 said:
I run a Spartan locker in my front 60, it has been beat on, it's a noisy SOB, but is still working good!

My D44 Spartan would sound like a shotgun going off sometimes when it would unlock. Everyone would think I broke something. Never failed though.

tonybolton said:
My D44 Spartan would sound like a shotgun going off sometimes when it would unlock. Everyone would think I broke something. Never failed though.
My 60 is the same, sounds like a u-joint just snapped sometimes, I just smile and go! :driving:

mdo817 said:
My 60 is the same, sounds like a u-joint just snapped sometimes, I just smile and go! :driving:

I'd honestly love to have a locker in the front of my 60, but I hate to replace parts or **** with parts that aren't broken(welded carrier).

Me too. My welded still works. I would love to have the improved steering even though mines not to bad. I would just worry about breaking it though.

Re:

Been running a Spartan in my front 60 with a 350 and 39s for 4 years and a 6.0 and 43s for the last year and haven't had a problem. Ive broke a couple inner shafts and the locker still works great

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Re: ???? Monkey grip locker????

I broke a Aussie locker in my zj Dana 30 on 36's, but I had a Jy shaft in there and never changed the joint and it locked up and split the carrier and busted the spacer on locker and chipped a tooth or two, so honestly the locker never failed, I did. ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Spartan in the front of my Toyota truck with 36's and beat the snot out of it, never had any problems. And I put one (Aussie or Spartan, not sure which) in the LC hp 3rd in the front of my buggy on 42's. It did fine but it was also light weight. I really only wheeled it a couple of times before selling it.