• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

motorcraft 2100 carb bowl not filling up

Ricky 79cj-7

While searching for answers to why my bowl is not filling up I came across this thread. It is basically the same situation that I am having, unfortunately after 3 pages of posts there is no solution to the problem. I'm sure someone on here can help me out.

I suddenly get an ebb and flow of power as I drive. More throttle does nothing, it feels as though I am out of gas, but I have over a half tank. As the vehicle slows I try to pump the pedal and only get minor results. Eventually it shuts off. I pull to the side road, remove air cleaner, pump the throttle and see NO GAS going down into the carb venturi. Removing the top of the Autolite 2100 carb, I see that the bowl is completely empty and the float is resting on the bottom. Ok, no gas here. I suspect my fuel filter may be clogged but want to verify my pump is pumping. I fill the bowl with gas from my can, pure some down the venturi have my wife start the jeep as I hold the fuel line in my hand. As soon as the jeep starts I get a nice steady stream of gas. So I presume the fuel filter was the culprit. I reconnect the fuel line directly to the carb omitting the filter. Float is operating freely and I am pleased with my quick repair. Close it up drive on.

End of story right……of course not. After driving another 15 minutes at highway speeds, all feels good, good power, no surging, hesitation or other issues. Suddenly, it starts bucking again, no response to pedal, eventually engine dies and I pull over. So it is not the fuel filter obviously. I pop open the carb, yep, dry in the bowl again. I had been fighting vapor lock previously and that was the reason I removed the stock mechanical pump in favor of the rear mounted Carter about a month ago. I tried to remove the gas cap which in the past has cleared the vapor lock issue. Not this time.

I began to suspect that the metal fuel line in the engine bay was the culprit and getting too hot perhaps causing vapor. My primary fuel line runs on the passenger frame side not anywhere near the exhaust. So for lack of anything else to try, I took the metal line out and replaced it with a 3 foot section of hose going directly into the carb. Filled the carb bowl with gas again, check float and needle seat operation, verified the pump was pumping and got under way again.

30 minutes later same story, now it began to happen every few minutes. No real pattern, idling, under heavy load, uphill, downhill. I am at a loss as to what to look for next. The obvious item seems to be the fuel pump, but I can hear it running and whenever I disconnect the line it is streaming gas.
So now I am asking for help on how to diagnose this issue without throwing parts. I finally got home and cannot recreate the issue driving around the block. I have no real confidence in the vehicle and am certain it will pop up at the worst time.

Ideas on what else to try, test, etc.?????

I would check the needle valve and the screen bellow it. Also make sure that your fuel pump supplies enough gmp and is 4-8 psi for a carb. Check and see that your not sucking air feeding the fuel pump. If it was a manual pump there is an issue with the new pumps, China didn't get the translation right I guess. They don't supply enough flow. Good luck