• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mountain Bikes

Toyotanut

Looking into getting a mountain bike and taking up a new hobby. Know nothing about them. Looking for a little guidance and direction. Don't know a single thing about them. Have the opportunity to possibly get a Diamondback or Raleigh ubber cheap. Any help would be appreciated.

I say diamondback if those are your choices.... What are you wanting to do? easy trails? crazy trails?

What do the two bikes in question look like, details...

Biggest thing is, you get what you pay for. :stirpot:

I would say something with no rear suspension and maybe 100-120mm front suspension fork. Components are going to be key in a good working bikecycle. I like dem dar 8" hydro disc brakes, but canti's work too. :awesomework: Something that is comfy size wise is important too.

Last edited:
I rode a heavily modified raliegh for a long time, Can't say it was perfect but it took a lot of abuse. It was an upper end model at the time, I think. What models are you looking at, unfortunately all manufatures have cheapos out there.

Not sure about models. I don't know a thing about what I'm looking at. As far as type of riding will probably be alot with the family but would like to get out on the trails as well. And as far as I get what I pay for...I'm fully aware but more than likely I'd be getting alot more that what I will be paying for.

Go with a hard tail, check to see what parts are on each bike. If you're planning for just family and like cross country stuff, either will be fine. if you get some pics of the bikes thatd help. :awesomework:

Go with a hard tail, check to see what parts are on each bike. If you're planning for just family and like cross country stuff, either will be fine. if you get some pics of the bikes thatd help. :awesomework:

What's the advantage/disadvantage to a hard tail and a soft tail. I know the hard tail has no rear shock and the soft tail does.

What's the advantage/disadvantage to a hard tail and a soft tail. I know the hard tail has no rear shock and the soft tail does.

PEDALING! it's a TON easier to pedal a bike with no rear shock (especially a rear shock on the cheaper bikes...:mad:, usually theyre really soft)

What happens with the rear shock is pedal bob and you loose "torque" everytime you make a pedal stroke, so you're literally bobbing up and down like a low-rider. You can sort of counter act it with some practice, but it's still going to be there and you'll use a lot of energy.

Are these bikes going to be 2010 models? or older?

With a soft tail, some of your pedaling effort will go towards the up and down of the suspension. This matters most going uphill because you can coast downhill. Some bikes have lockouts which effectively make it into a hard tail.

I'd recommend a hard tail because for cheap you can get a better bike than a cheap full suspension bike.

Try to get disk brakes...they stop soooooo much better when wet!

Fit is important too. I don't ride a soft tail, so I can't speak for fitting those. But with a hard tail there should be about 2" or so between your nads and the top frame bar when standing flat footed.

My guess these will probably be 2011 models and more than likely pretty decked out.

What about the different components? Any brands to stay away from as far as shifters, brakes, shocks and stuff?

Thanks for bringin up this topic. I'm also currently looking for a bike. I want one thats a little more than a wal-mart cheapy. I have been looking at some hardtail giants at the local shop. Pretty much it will be a daily rider and maybe do some basic downhill stuff from time to time. There's like 7 bike shops in bellingham I'm gonna go check out tomorrow.

Thanks for bringin up this topic. I'm also currently looking for a bike. I want one thats a little more than a wal-mart cheapy. I have been looking at some hardtail giants at the local shop. Pretty much it will be a daily rider and maybe do some basic downhill stuff from time to time. There's like 7 bike shops in bellingham I'm gonna go check out tomorrow.

I went to the shop across from Hardware Sales afew weeks ago and nearly **** my pants. Damn nice stuff and was a rude awakening into how much a good downhill bike actually ran. And I thought wheeling was pricey... peanuts in comparison. :mad:

Try Skagit Cycles in Burlington. They have the best prices in the North Sound. Got a brand new 2011 Specialized Hardrock for $379 w/o disks, w/disks is $450. Nice bikes, I've probably put 20 miles on mine, an I really like it.

Try Skagit Cycles in Burlington. They have the best prices in the North Sound. Got a brand new 2011 Specialized Hardrock for $379 w/o disks, w/disks is $450. Nice bikes, I've probably put 20 miles on mine, an I really like it.

Do they have all brands or just specialized?

Quite a few others, Trek, Giant, some others. Best prices around, I went to all the bike shops in Whatcom, an Skagit Cycle had em all beat by about $50-$100. There is one shop in the east side of Bham that has alright prices on bikes.

Quite a few others, Trek, Giant, some others. Best prices around, I went to all the bike shops in Whatcom, an Skagit Cycle had em all beat by about $50-$100. There is one shop in the east side of Bham that has alright prices on bikes.

Thanks for the shop name, spoke to a down to earth guy that answered alot of my questions. And yes they were about $50 cheaper then some of the local Eastside shops are. :awesomework:

MT Bike reviews
DON'T BUY A NEW BIKE! Just like with trucks everyone with an extra bike or who lost their job and is looking for some extra cash is trying to sell their bike right now. Pick up a couple magazines, read some online reviews and talk to some guys in a shop and then look for a used bike. Especially if you're looking for a mountain bike, fit is not nearly as important as a road bike so there's no reason not to buy a used bike.
Look on craigslist and if you can wait until the spring there is an enormous bike swap meet in Seattle where you can get some killer deals.

MT Bike reviews
DON'T BUY A NEW BIKE! Just like with trucks everyone with an extra bike or who lost their job and is looking for some extra cash is trying to sell their bike right now. Pick up a couple magazines, read some online reviews and talk to some guys in a shop and then look for a used bike. Especially if you're looking for a mountain bike, fit is not nearly as important as a road bike so there's no reason not to buy a used bike.
Look on craigslist and if you can wait until the spring there is an enormous bike swap meet in Seattle where you can get some killer deals.

Thank you Rus, I missed out on a large one in bellingham a couple weekends ago. :booo:

Rus, should I be worried about someone my height 6'4" riding on a medium frame bike 16-18"? I tested a 21.5" Trek 4300 Disc and it was just right with about an inch between the main tube and my member. Would a 19.5 or less be ok?