• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mountain Bikes

Thank you Rus, I missed out on a large one in bellingham a couple weekends ago. :booo:

Rus, should I be worried about someone my height 6'4" riding on a medium frame bike 16-18"? I tested a 21.5" Trek 4300 Disc and it was just right with about an inch between the main tube and my member. Would a 19.5 or less be ok?

Was it a brown Kona Shred?:corn:

Im riding a 19.5, an Im 6'3" an I feel its a about right. I like the shorter frame height cause it feels more like a BMX bike instead of a mountain bike. Plus it feels more stable, not being up so high. I also ride with my seat all the way down, just a left over habit from riding BMX bikes forever.

Thank you Rus, I missed out on a large one in bellingham a couple weekends ago. :booo:

Rus, should I be worried about someone my height 6'4" riding on a medium frame bike 16-18"? I tested a 21.5" Trek 4300 Disc and it was just right with about an inch between the main tube and my member. Would a 19.5 or less be ok?

It kind of depends on how the bike feels to you when you ride it, but a 16" would be kind of small for someone 6'4". With a little bit larger frame you can play around with a longer/higher rise stem and handlebars and longer seat post to get it fitting better. 29'ers are tits too! I'd get one of those if I was getting a mountain bike.

It kind of depends on how the bike feels to you when you ride it, but a 16" would be kind of small for someone 6'4". With a little bit larger frame you can play around with a longer/higher rise stem and handlebars and longer seat post to get it fitting better. 29'ers are tits too! I'd get one of those if I was getting a mountain bike.

OK so I won't go any smaller then a 20". What is a 29er? I love tits, so i want one... :D

Alright, So im off to buy an 18" Raleigh Phase 1 tomorrow. He's put some money into it (26inch-Mavic wheels, Horst Link Fox Shocks, Pro taper bars...). But now im in need of gear, where do you guys go for good deals. Looking for a helmet and gloves.

If I could pole I would, Full faced or open face helmet?

Alright, So im off to buy an 18" Raleigh Phase 1 tomorrow. He's put some money into it (26inch-Mavic wheels, Horst Link Fox Shocks, Pro taper bars...). But now im in need of gear, where do you guys go for good deals. Looking for a helmet and gloves.

If I could pole I would, Full faced or open face helmet?

www.jensonusa.com

www.beyondbikes.com

What kinda riding are you wanting to do? I would say get an open face bucket to start, the full-face are going to be heavier and hotter (not that it matters now that the sun is gone for the year.:booo:)

EDIT:
I rock this bucket :awesomework:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HE299F01-Pro+Tec+Chris+Doyle+Ace+Sxp+Helmet.aspx

Get something that comes down around your head a bit more than a tour-de-france type helmet.

If you do decide to go full-face, dont get a Bell, they suck, there's a reason they're $50. :;

Giro's are comfy but dont fit my head right, i'm between sizes with them, but theyre really comfy. :awesomework:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HE277A09-Giro+Remedy+Helmet+10.aspx

Most importantly, you need to just go try this stuff on. I found that there were some brands that really suprised me and fit really well. Where others that i thought would be awesome disappointed me.

Go to FluidRide in the U-district or Gregg's Cycle or some other shops and try on some stuff. :awesomework:

Last edited:
www.jensonusa.com

www.beyondbikes.com

What kinda riding are you wanting to do? I would say get an open face bucket to start, the full-face are going to be heavier and hotter (not that it matters now that the sun is gone for the year.:booo:)

EDIT:
I rock this bucket :awesomework:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HE299F01-Pro+Tec+Chris+Doyle+Ace+Sxp+Helmet.aspx

Get something that comes down around your head a bit more than a tour-de-france type helmet.

If you do decide to go full-face, dont get a Bell, they suck, there's a reason they're $50. :;

Giro's are comfy but dont fit my head right, i'm between sizes with them, but theyre really comfy. :awesomework:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HE277A09-Giro+Remedy+Helmet+10.aspx

Most importantly, you need to just go try this stuff on. I found that there were some brands that really suprised me and fit really well. Where others that i thought would be awesome disappointed me.

Go to FluidRide in the U-district or Gregg's Cycle or some other shops and try on some stuff. :awesomework:

Thanks for all the info boonie. I'm going to start with XC/FR and move on to some mild downhill.

I like the helm you posted. I'll go to the places you said and try them on. As long as it keeps my noodle safe and cool, im a happy camper.

A little update, Deal fell through on the Raleigh. BUT, I did manage to find a 22" Kona Cindercone for 1/2 off. Guy bought it last year, rode it twice down his gravel driveway and put it away in his shop. So far im loving it. Rock Shox Dart 3 front shock, shimano hydro discs, SLX derailers, 26x2.1 Maxxis Ignitors, Black Eye sun rims. Damn thing is super light. :awesomework:

Thank you again for the link to Jenson USA, I just bought a helmet, gloves, computer, and chain protector for $40 shipped. :cheer:

If anyone is bored tomorrow I will be at Duthie from about 2-4/5. Throw me a Pm and we can meet up.

Dang, if i didn't get off till 4pm, i wouldnt get out there till 5pm at best. :booo:

I need to get a new chain for the bike anyways, I nearly cracked my knee cap last time i rode it and the chain decided to snap! :mad:

So spill the beans on the riding gear you got! :corn:

Hijack.

I noticed riding my bike around, if I ride in a higher gear, and try to put some pressure into the peddle, the chain skips a few teeth on the sprocket. It only happens when I am in 1st or 2nd on the main sprocket. I am kinda a bigger guy, so I figured that was the reason. Is there a way I can tighten the tension some so this stops?

pshhh :D you dont need gears. :haha:

I might ride more than anyone on this website, and i ride a single speed. :flipoff:

Dang, if i didn't get off till 4pm, i wouldnt get out there till 5pm at best. :booo:

I need to get a new chain for the bike anyways, I nearly cracked my knee cap last time i rode it and the chain decided to snap! :mad:

So spill the beans on the riding gear you got! :corn:

Damn I'm tired, It's amazing how quickly you learn just how out of shape you are. HAHA Ended up heading out early up to a little trail system by my girlfriends place on Snoqualmie Ridge. FS roads, a little bit of single track. BTW using my Dirtbike helmet was a bad idea. Thing got hot, quick. I haven't recieved my order yet so I had to use something.

I got some beginner/crapy gear. White Bell faction helmet, dakine covert gloves, sigma sport comp, and a chainstay protector.

I need to find a cheap Bashgaurd too. Anyone have a large sprocket that I may be able to shave down. :D

here's a pic too.
Picture001-3.jpg

Boonie, are you busy friday? I have all day off. I would rather tag behind someone that knows Duthie, before I get lost and hurt. :beer:

Last edited:
Don't give me a reason to leave work early. :fawkdancesmiley: Maybe I can squeeze out at noon....Gotta check and i'll get back to ya. :awesomework:

Might give me an oppurtunity to work out some kinks on the new build....:redneck:

Last edited:
Don't give me a reason to leave work early. :fawkdancesmiley: Maybe I can squeeze out at noon....Gotta check and i'll get back to ya. :awesomework:

Might give me an oppurtunity to work out some kinks on the new build....:redneck:

:D

I don't mind doing an evening ride either. Have to be easy on me though. I'm a gangly guy nursing a repaired knee. :D

I ride...I think size is based on your prefrence as well...Check the Forums on MTBR..best site I know of...I'm a lil over 6 ft and I ride a 21.5 Trek liquid....I like a bike with size..I fell way to cramped up on lesser of a bike...It also depends on what your after..I'm a Mild drop 10ft or less and more crosscrountry trail style rider....If your going for extreme downhill with huge jumps...you need a totally differnt bike..

Got to see the new Kona in action yesterday. :awesomework:

SUPER nice/clean bike. (not so clean though at the end of the day! :fawkdancesmiley:)

Good to ride with ya 2slow4you, although you need to change your name to, AlwaysKeepinUp. I couldn't shake the guy! :D:cool:

Got to see the new Kona in action yesterday. :awesomework:

SUPER nice/clean bike. (not so clean though at the end of the day! :fawkdancesmiley:)

Good to ride with ya 2slow4you, although you need to change your name to, AlwaysKeepinUp. I couldn't shake the guy! :D:cool:

Thanks for leading the way Aaron, that was a great time. Work the next day, not so great. Got some sore muscles I didn't know I had. :D

Like I said your more then welcome to journey up my way to ride and I will give you a ring next time im back in the area for some shredding. :awesomework: