• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mounting a Bender

RebelRider

I have a model 3 bender which can be mounted in the vertical or horizontal position. It's time to build a more rigid stand for it, but I'm trying to figure out what position would be best. It has an HF ram mounted to it if that makes a difference. I also don't have a very tall ceiling.

Edit: if there is an existing thread on this, please post a link.

That would be great. I'm probably going to buy a notch master (if anyone has a better suggestion, post up) so I'd like to incorporate it into the stand as well.

If you're air over hydro, build yourself a roll around stand. You could even do one vertical and in the seldom chance you have to do a bend that would place the bar taller than the ceiling, you can roll it outside for the couple minutes it would take to bend it. This is what I'm doing with mine when I get a ram for it.

As far as notchers, I bought the Eastwood notcher and the only complaint I have with it is the plastic bushing wears too quickly, allowing the holesaw enough room to grab and hang up. The last tube I notched with it, it bit so hard it snapped the shaft on my 1/2" corded drill.

I had a stand bolted to the floor forever. When I got the cylinder for mine I got a 55 gallon drum roller base and mounted it to it. Works great. It could use an outrigger on the side the tube enters from but it's easily modified.

I have mine mounted to an old engine stand now. The problem is that is very wobbly. It's very hard to keep level. Also, when pulling the air ram back in it tends to roll around a lot making you chase it around the shop.

RebelRider said:
What sets it apart from the notch master?

the tube clamp is much more versatile and allows you to clamp on and make a cut on a curve. also much more secure cutting process.

If you're running hydro you don't need to worry about it being level. Get a plane of bend bracket to keep the bends in line.
Locking casters keep it from running off on you.

My old M3 on engine stand
ea4776a976a5949fac01868fcd4cd8ba.jpg

My M32 (copied from jvfab)
23d93defe220e425f9eb2b1acd495cd1.jpg

POB
a88cb6ed7d22d17883716d0bf65ea8ff.jpg

75a3b1e2b51f926d23113c154c8f3bbd.jpg

Rokcrler said:
If you're running hydro you don't need to worry about it being level. Get a plane of bend bracket to keep the bends in line.
Locking casters keep it from running off on you.

My old M3 on engine stand
ea4776a976a5949fac01868fcd4cd8ba.jpg

My M32 (copied from jvfab)
23d93defe220e425f9eb2b1acd495cd1.jpg

POB
a88cb6ed7d22d17883716d0bf65ea8ff.jpg

75a3b1e2b51f926d23113c154c8f3bbd.jpg
Good to know, thanks

Re: Re: Mounting a Bender

RebelRider said:
I have mine mounted to an old engine stand now. The problem is that is very wobbly. It's very hard to keep level. Also, when pulling the air ram back in it tends to roll around a lot making you chase it around the shop.

I mounted mine to an engine stand then tacked the piece that rotates. Also added a return spring thing from swag offroad. Well worth every penny. No more fighting to get the ram.

http://swagoffroad.com/AirHydraulic-Tube-Bender-Accessories-_p_118.html

Re: Re:

paradisepwoffrd said:
I've thought about mounting one to an engine stand where you can rotate it from horizontal to vertical.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Mine would work either way if not for the copperhead ram mount. It will go almost vertical but not all the way.

You have me curious if I could modify it some thought will see what I can come up with.