• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mt Rainier

Mt Rainier has provided many years of fun for me and some friends. Originally it was just hiking to Muir and snowboarding down. Then we decided that was too much work so we just hiked until we could find a large patch of snow, fairly steep grade, preferrably with some sort of ledge or burm. Then we'd get the shovels out, build ramps and get "sweet" air for 4-5 hours. All the while getting tan and tipsy. Good times! I'll see if I can find some pics cuz I remember there being some good ones.

The day I climbed I was passed on the way up and on the way down by a lightening fast soloist (Laim O'Sullivan). He broke the record set previously this year. These guys in my opinion are some of the toughest men in the world.

Scroll dow past the Cantwell crap

http://mountrainierclimbing.blogspot.com/

I think Ed Viesturs has him beat.

I believe, I will have to find the source to confirm, he has ridden his bike from RMI base camp to Paradise, summit, have a beer at the Glacier Bar and back to RMI base camp in 9 or 11 hours.

Last edited:
I think Ed Viesturs has him beat.

I believe, I will have to find the source to confirm, he has ridden his bike from RMI base camp to Paradise, summit, have a beer at the Glacier Bar and back to RMI base camp in 9 or 11 hours.

4 hours 46 minutes from Paradise to summit and back to Paradise is amazing.......It is the standing record.

To gain prespective, my best time just from Paradise to Muir was just under 4 hours. O'Sullivan did it in 1 hour 24 minutes.

4 hours 46 minutes from Paradise to summit and back to Paradise is amazing.......It is the standing record.

To gain prespective, my best time just from Paradise to Muir was just under 4 hours. O'Sullivan did it in 1 hour 24 minutes.

Robin, do you train at all for your trips or just load up and go?

If I ever do it I would like to run 5-10 miles a day to train for it.

Robin, do you train at all for your trips or just load up and go?

If I ever do it I would like to run 5-10 miles a day to train for it.

Due to my injuries I cannot run.

My best advice is to not smoke, eat right, and keep your weight down.

I dont train, but I spend most my time doing something active, yard work, walking the dog ,hiking, ect. I keep my weight down, dont smoke/drink and eat right. My lifestyle lets me pack up and go. Plus I'm extremely stubborn, know that pain is temporary and have a huge ego.

I could not climb rainier with a rope team. I have to go super light weight due to injuries. I do my best to keep my BMI in normal range. Right now I'm 24.9, which is the high side of normal.

Last edited:
been there dun that and i to hate baby siting. I got tired of climbing the big peaks and found some of the smaller mountains around our are more rewarding and way less crowded.ive been up the 14 highest peaks in wash state,and love climbing in theolympic mts.

yeahh, I found my pics...granted I had to go to my brother's house, tear them off the fridge, scan them since they were taken with a disposable camera at least 5/+ years ago and upload them...but here they are. We had so much fun up there. Especially when we were through for the day and we would drive back to camp at Cougar Rock and start partying (of course we had to keep it down with the 10pm curfew - ha,ha,ha)

mtrainier1.jpg

A long stretch (maybe about 30-40', maybe a lil' more) of just dirt/rocks

mtrainier2.jpg

Flyin'

mtrainier3.jpg

Early part of a grab 540

Lots of air could be had if the right kicker was built in the right spot. Good downhill landing areas were easy to find as well.

My friend Brandon (AKA Barnacle) talked me into another summit. He will leave tonight for Muir and acclimate at 10,000ft. I will leave Saturday at 5:00pm, meet him at Muir 9:00-9:30pm. Then we will summit under a full moon,making the summit before sunrise. I very excited to go up with a full moon, some people say that a headlamp is not even needed. We should be back to the car by 12:00pm sunday

The rigid boots will be subsituted with lightweight gortex boots with aluminium crampons. I'm also going to try to drop pack weight to 10 pounds without water,14.4 pound with 2 liters of water(Brandon gets to carry the heavy stuff)

My friend Brandon (AKA Barnacle) talked me into another summit. He will leave tonight for Muir and acclimate at 10,000ft. I will leave Saturday at 5:00pm, meet him at Muir 9:00-9:30pm. Then we will summit under a full moon,making the summit before sunrise. I very excited to go up with a full moon, some people say that a headlamp is not even needed. We should be back to the car by 12:00pm sunday

The rigid boots will be subsituted with lightweight gortex boots with aluminium crampons. I'm also going to try to drop pack weight to 10 pounds without water,14.4 pound with 2 liters of water(Brandon gets to carry the heavy stuff)

Man I wish I wasn't hurting so bad right now, I would love to do that climb.. Maybe next year:booo:

Robin,

How long (miles) is the hike, and approximately how much elevation do you encounter (from # to #)?

Thanks,
Tony

paradise 5420'
summit 14411'
gain 8991'

10 miles give or take depends on the route goes around crevases. It has been pretty direct this year.

Then you must go down 8991' which is harder for me

Man I wish I wasn't hurting so bad right now, I would love to do that climb.. Maybe next year:booo:

Do you still smoke ciggarettes and the other stuff, if so I doubt you could do it unless you quit....air gets thin after 10,000 and at 13,000 it kicks my ass bad.

How sketchy would it be to ski from the summit?

I have only been to camp muir before and I want to summit some day.

I've got a badass randonee setup that I don't use to its fullest poltential (I hardly get out to ski, let alone out of bounds). Could you skin anything past muir or is it crampons and ice axe the whole way?

Robin:

Big article, front page, TNT today.

7 miles each way. Liam O'Sullivan did it in 4:46:29.

I saved the paper if you want a copy of it.

All went well with a little excitment. I left Muir at 6:00-6:30 and got to Muir about 9:00. Brandon have been up there friday nigt and all saturday. We promptly left for the summit. I was a moon lt night and the weather looked calm(even though I did read possible thunder storms) Brandon was climbig safe ans strong as we trudged our way up. got a little off route on the cleaver,which seems to be the norm. The higher we got the slower we climed, Brandon enjoyed being a good 30 feet ahead. Now it gets interesting. In less than 2 minutes at 13,000 we are in the middle of s thndr storm, not next to,but inside. Lightening is everywhere, being pelted by 40mph ice pellets....I was really digging it. We still had 20'-25' visibility. We reach the summit during the tal end of the storm. One tean ahead of us droped all their metal gear and crawled into one of the steam caves to be safe from lightening. Brandon and I leaned on a slightly sheltered rock to wait for the sun, but Brandon was feeling ill. I tried to get him to stay, but we wnt down. He felt better as we went dowm

Congrats to Brandon for a safe first summit

All went well with a little excitment. I left Muir at 6:00-6:30 and got to Muir about 9:00. Brandon have been up there friday nigt and all saturday. We promptly left for the summit. I was a moon lt night and the weather looked calm(even though I did read possible thunder storms) Brandon was climbig safe ans strong as we trudged our way up. got a little off route on the cleaver,which seems to be the norm. The higher we got the slower we climed, Brandon enjoyed being a good 30 feet ahead. Now it gets interesting. In less than 2 minutes at 13,000 we are in the middle of s thndr storm, not next to,but inside. Lightening is everywhere, being pelted by 40mph ice pellets....I was really digging it. We still had 20'-25' visibility. We reach the summit during the tal end of the storm. One tean ahead of us droped all their metal gear and crawled into one of the steam caves to be safe from lightening. Brandon and I leaned on a slightly sheltered rock to wait for the sun, but Brandon was feeling ill. I tried to get him to stay, but we wnt down. He felt better as we went dowm

Congrats to Brandon for a safe first summit

Brokeback mountin'.......? :eeek: