• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mufflers

Pat

This is probably a really stupid question but does it matter which direction flow goes through a muffler?

I just got a new muffler for my Xj. The original had a centered inlet and offset outlet with stamped arrows pointing both directions. The new one has no arrows but is stamped 'outlet' near one end, but its the centered end which should be the inlet.

So can I ignore the 'outlet' label and install it the other way so it fits?

NAPA. It is supposed to be a direct-fit muffler for a cherokee. The thing is freakin huge, twice the size of the old one. Even if I did some curvy bends to make the pipe work the muffler still don't fit without hitting the driveline. Sorry Napa this ones getting returned. Seems like Xj mufflers should have a centered inlet and offset outlet, this one is opposite.

some can be fliped around with no noticable diff. just the sound. I have had a couple of sweet muffs that sounded like poop. ran one backwards on a truck single pipe and it sounded great, who new. sounds like you got a better idea.:;

NAPA. It is supposed to be a direct-fit muffler for a cherokee. The thing is freakin huge, twice the size of the old one. Even if I did some curvy bends to make the pipe work the muffler still don't fit without hitting the driveline. Sorry Napa this ones getting returned. Seems like Xj mufflers should have a centered inlet and offset outlet, this one is opposite.

We've probably got one that will work well for ya---At work... We use Gorlick's exhaust, and have lots of mufflers in stock....The beauty of Gorlick's is they CAN be run either way!!! The Xcelerator series sound good, while not being obnoxious....!!!

We've probably got one that will work well for ya---At work... We use Gorlick's exhaust, and have lots of mufflers in stock....The beauty of Gorlick's is they CAN be run either way!!! The Xcelerator series sound good, while not being obnoxious....!!!

Cool thanks Kevin. I'm guessing your shop is closed for the weekend? If I can't find one today I'll be getting ahold of you. Problem is I need to drive it to work Tuesday, but in a pinch the wheeler can double as a commuter.:redneck:

I just went through this with my TJ.

Mufflers come in somewhat standard sizes. A 19" long, 5" by 9" oval, center inlet, offset outlet is whats standard in a TJ. It may be the same on your XJ. If you look on the internet, say for instance the Magnaflow website, it will show all their mufflers by the lengths and oval shapes they make.

I went to Randys Exhaust in Smokey Point. He has the same kind of catalog that lays out the muffs by physical dimensions. Takes him about 2 seconds to look it up. He sells a Flow-Pro brand which is a damn nice muffler; thick metal, all welded and not too expensive.

I'm doing a custom tummy tuck on mine and completely redesigned the exhaust system to fit around the skid. (Not too tough on a jeep :redneck: ) I needed a 14" long chambered muffler and compact cat. Got them no problem from Randy.

NAPA has an online catalog, you can look up your own parts and avoid the parts counterman "dear in the headlights look" :mad: . You could probably swap what you have.

When choosing mufflers watch out for non chambered muffs and glass packs which are not accepted as spark arrestors.

Thats all I know, man.

Cool thanks Kevin. I'm guessing your shop is closed for the weekend? If I can't find one today I'll be getting ahold of you. Problem is I need to drive it to work Tuesday, but in a pinch the wheeler can double as a commuter.:redneck:

Yeah, were closed for the weekend...will be back on tue......let me know...