• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My 51 merc racer

kid rok

This is the Awana car I built for my daughter. It's a pinewood derby type race.
Specs:
Custom carved pine wood block.
Chassis ,Lead weighted and balanced to exact specs of 5.oz drilled and hollowed body
Stock axels, special machining with 1200 grit paper.
Stock wheels sanded , polished, and rounded , with coned hubs.
Alined and lubed for superior speed.

I'm expecting a top 5 finish. The last car we built, got second and this one is faster.

ry%3D400.jpg

ry%3D400.jpg

ry%3D400.jpg

ry%3D400.jpg

ry%3D400.jpg

You didnt by chance happen to modify the inside and place a little mercury tube in there did you .. It works great for a little extra take off and speed .

Insert Quote
You didnt by chance happen to modify the inside and place a little mercury tube in there did you .. It works great for a little extra take off and speed

No, but tell me how the mercury works. I was going to install my super axles, but it being a church event I opted out. I'm all legal.

The mercury works by running to the front of your car as it goes from the take off down the ramp . Drill a hole in the back of your car threw the middle . Get you self a few old thermostats . ( Use rubber gloves and glasses because the mercury is poison do not let it touch your skin ) pour one or two in the hole depending on how big and long you hole is . Fill it about 1/4 - 1/2 way up . Glue a plug in the rear and sand it back down and paint it , So that you can tell you did it .

The weight from the liquid will run from the back to the front as the car takes off down the ramp speeding it up .

Depending on you ramp length , height , and steepness . You may want to place wight in the front or rear of the car to make it go faster also . I always drilled holes in the bottom and melted lead down to fill the holes i drilled . depending on were i needed it placed .

I'll try the mercury trick next time. It's not in the rules that we can't do it. I did melt the lead into the bottom of the car, seems to be a better fit , rather than placing pellets or square weights.

The race was this evening, and as stated above was expecting a top five finish. We didn't get in the top 5 with the Merc, but it did place 9th over all. I also raced another car we had built a year earlier , and it actually placed in the top 5 over all.
On a positive note we did get 1st for best show. My daughter is still on cloud nine holding her trophy. :dblthumb:

I don't know how many have ever raced pinewood cars before but it's actualy pretty cool. To be competative, there's only hundreds on a second separating you from being 5th to 1st. You have to have your car dialed in perfect. Now it's back to the planning stage for the next race. Maybe we'll be in the top three,and bring home another trophy. thumb.gif