• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

my cheap wrangler build... well so far.

chrissybf86

this is my second wrangler. so i am going at this a little diffrent.
iam into this wranger about 300$ totall so not to much out of pocket.

when i got it the kid said it did not run... i got it home put a new battery in it and it started, but ran rough and no power.. so i checked the fuel psi and sure enough under 20psi, so i swapped the fuel pump and filter and put a new starter on it and it runs awsome!

how i got it..
heep.jpg

2.5 with 30k new from jeep 5 speed 231
rough country 4.5 lift still sua new shocks, ugly shackles
new boggers 33's on black wheels.
new best top finder flares and hard top.
custom seats, and so on..

my plans are:
hp44/9inc weld the rear.. find a lunch box locker for the front. get rid of the shackles and do a spring over. move the front forward 3inc. run some 35's run it and plan on gears.

as for the 2.5, i plan to throw a big 16g evoIII turbo, with a msd boost retard and mustang 35pound injectors. run like 5-8psi. and see how long it goes. then when it does pop i want a vortec 4.3.

Last edited:
I already got rid of the front bumper and built a nice tube on. the rear came with a warn bumper. today i plan on cutting off the side tubes.

i have a guy that wants my 33's and he said he would trade me these axles (hp44/9inc) they hace some 15/10 wheels and some 35's like 30% tread, so i might get them today.

ive been searching on this turbo stuff. iseen people getting good numbers. i am thinkin of doing some head work and getting arp head studs and a mls head gasket and trying to run 10-15psi.

well ive seen it range.. the best ive seen for a stock motor was 190whp 199tq at the rear wheels. i am trying to find the dyno sheet right now..

well ive seen it range.. the best ive seen for a stock motor was 190whp 199tq at the rear wheels. i am trying to find the dyno sheet right now..

I would love that. I have the 2.5L as well.

My Subaru tuning friend and I looked into putting a turbo on the motor but we decided it would be more worth it to put a 4.0L in instead. Including the trans.

I mean, if you want to get those kind of numbers out of the 2.5L by all means. And also I am so far into my jeep now I wouldn't mind watching someone else try and replicate their results. :awesomework:

mostly i am just trying something diffrent. i was thinkin of the 4.0 swap but might as well put a sbc in it. and i build and tune cars as a hobby and i have a ton of parts just around so i figured i might as well just try it.

ive talked to a few guys that have done it and they are happy with the numbers they all came out with,

mostly i am just trying something diffrent. i was thinkin of the 4.0 swap but might as well put a sbc in it. and i build and tune cars as a hobby and i have a ton of parts just around so i figured i might as well just try it.

ive talked to a few guys that have done it and they are happy with the numbers they all came out with,

Yes. I have a small turbo off a Peugeot and the intercooler.

The expensive parts would be in the fuel system. We figured you could put a reliable daily driver 2.5L turbo motor together for around $1000.

yea i am going to run a big 16g off of a evo and see what happens. ive seen them support up to 18+psi. the 2.5 might be a little big but we will see.

i also have a full fmic set up with a hks bov, and most of my fuel set up aready... its nice to have spare parts.
the nice thing about thw 16g is that its a dsm (talon,eclipse,) flange. easy to make. and its a internal wastgate. the stock spring is at 8 psi.

i was told u could run a apexi safc controller and get a mild tune. who knows i might try it and see what happens.. if not atleast u would have cool lights in the jeep.

Last edited:
I will be another watching this thread closely. I plan on swapping a VG30ET into my rig sometime in the future, hopeing for right around 10psi and ~230-250hp.

44.jpg

got the front/rear end ready to go in.. just need to go see my buddy at the local parts store for some perches, ubolts. stainless brake lines. maybe u joints.. idk yet

Righton man!

good to see ya get the wheelin bug again...so what youll keep this rig for say....2 months maybe 3 :fawkdancesmiley::redneck:

idk mike its the cheapest wheeler ive been in to.. well so far... with all the axles and stuff to put it under there iam only out of pocket about 400

might be a little weak on the power side. but i am hopeing the turbo will help if not i have dibs on a chevy vortec 4.3.

jeep-1.jpg

how it sets.. rear is almost done but need to have the drive line lengthend like 1-2inc's brake lines for the front. mount shocks front and shorten the front drive line.

heep-1.jpg

all done...

i am running the rc 4.5 inc lift with one leaf removed. and i cut down the shackels to stock length, after this snow is done i plan to miove the front end forward and a shackel reversal.
i had to get the rear drive line lengthend 1 3/4 inc took six states less then 2 hours to get it done..

i found out that both axles have been completly rebuilt witch is pretty cool. all new brakes, but when they put the hubs together the springs were backwards so they only worked for a few miles then i lost the front end. i took them apart and got it fixed. now it does awsome in the snow.
its kinda a easy swap, brake lines r the same, ujoints work.

now to start the turbo build.. and find some 35's and need to fix the rear axle rap.. and e brake.

Last edited:
I would like to see the 2.5 with a turbo setup as well, always thought it might be cool to have mine turbo'd to be a little bit different than most peoples setup.

...And also I am so far into my jeep now I wouldn't mind watching someone else try and replicate their results. :awesomework:

Karl,

Yer so far into your Jeep, all anyone sees of you is the soles of your boots!

But hey, it looks great on the trails, when its shiny side up! :awesomework:

So, onward with the Turbo build!

Make sure you shield all the wiring and plastic/rubber items with good heat shielding. Watched a turbo 4cyl catch on fire a few months back while driving the mountain passes. Turbos under load develop a LOT of heat. The radiant heat from one can (and does) catch combustables on fire.

And for what it's worth, a chevy V8 with EFI is cheap and easy swap. Plenty of affordable power options.

yea i planed on using all the heat sheilds i can. and rap all the pipes and charge tubes. i build and tune a lot of diffrent cars, so i have some exp just looking at diffrent set ups to see what people have done in the past,

other possiblilties is the side mounted m90 supercharger off the ford t-bird. ive seen it done on the inline6 with good numbers and tq right off the start, the positive style displacement superchargers work very well if set up right, i like the fact that there is no lag. full boost with the touch of the pedal. and with the m90 u will see 5-7psi with the 2.5.

and i already have dibs a vortec 4.3 and auto and a syclone turbo set up that all i have to do is ask for...

i am planning on it since the ax5 is not going to handle any more power then the 2.5 can put out stock.

Last edited: