• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My Dodge, My dodge, My dodge

Transfer case takes ATF+4 Sam....And check the clutch very carefully; If it made no noise before doing it, I'd seriously suspect something with the clutch...But yeah, not a bad idea to check crankshaft end play...excessive movement could cause problems.

Nope. From the rear end!

:fawkdancesmiley:

Get this figured out so we can go downhillin!!!:haha::D

Im workin on it! LOL i may be out there next weekend for a couple days as i had already planned on doing that but i might be borrowing my dads truck :(

Transfer case takes ATF+4 Sam....And check the clutch very carefully; If it made no noise before doing it, I'd seriously suspect something with the clutch...But yeah, not a bad idea to check crankshaft end play...excessive movement could cause problems.

I will give everything a good inspection but we already looked over the clutch and it is looking brand new, although i dont have the alignment tool for it so i havent pulled the pressure plate as i have no way to put it back on:mad:

Need to find somebody with a 5.9 cummins clutch alignment tool ASAP

The billet shaft is larger...

If it is something to do with the shaft im gonna go ahead and upgrade it no sense in leaving it as weak as when i started might as well make it stronger:awesomework:

Also if im in the tranny already im gonna do a full rebuild as it does have a lot of miles on it and there is no sense in leaving all the old bearings with tat kind of milage when i already have it out and apart

I just wanted to make sure you knew it was larger, which means new clutch. The good thing is, with a new clutch. Peter knocks the shaft from $800 to $500.

I just wanted to make sure you knew it was larger, which means new clutch. The good thing is, with a new clutch. Peter knocks the shaft from $800 to $500.

Wait so i would have to buy yet another clutch?:mad: I just put a southbend in 2 months ago its only got 2K on it i really dont wanna fork over that kind of cash again:mad::mad:

Found this interesting article over on pirate, my tranny has made a growling noise ever since the new clutch went in and it makes me almost positive its the input shaft:mad::mad:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11783552

I'd just replace the shaft with a stocker. It'll hold up fine to 500 hp, probably a little more. I have a feeling you don't really beat on your truck either.

I'd just replace the shaft with a stocker. It'll hold up fine to 500 hp, probably a little more. I have a feeling you don't really beat on your truck either.

No not really lol on a rare occasion very very rare am i hard on it:cool:

I just want to have something that will be strong and last, i guess peter can change out the center hub to accept the larger billet shaft though, im also weighing my options out wether to rebuild it or buy a rebuilt tranny and trade mine in as a core the price seems pretty close sadly

Who makes the best rebuild kit for these things?

Or who sells the best reman unit?

Not sure on reman stuff.. I planned on going through PDR for all of the parts, so I didn't really research any others. Although with just about all of the guys I know working for other diesel shops, including Piers himself. I really don't have the urge to buy from PDR anymore.

I've heard of a few people doing it. But if it were such a problem, you would hear about it a lot. There are a few NV4500's out there, and you never hear about low levels being the problem. It was however a fix from Dodge for the G56 tranny when they first came out, due to issues that came up within a couple months of releasing the new tranny. I really doubt it hurts anything to run a quart over. But I don't believe it's justified.

With the g56 they said to add about 1-quart to the transmission because somewhere during the assembly process the trans sat tipped for awhile and leaked fluid out... way to go Chrysler.

so i know you've got the transmission already out, was their a leak before you pulled it? specifically from the shift tower?

i also have the alignment tool. i';m in Issaquah let me know if you need it

With the g56 they said to add about 1-quart to the transmission because somewhere during the assembly process the trans sat tipped for awhile and leaked fluid out... way to go Chrysler.

so i know you've got the transmission already out, was their a leak before you pulled it? specifically from the shift tower?

My Dad got his before the recall ever came out. Almost 80k on it now (with a lot of that towing a 40 foot toy hauler, and also a 28' enclosed trailer), and haven't touched the fluid level.. They stated to "overfill it by one quart." I supposed people can take that two different ways. But to me, it means put it 1 quart over what the manual shows. It's probably due for a fluid change soon anyways.

I remember my Dad was quite worried. I picked up his truck from Dave Smith and immediately after they froze all trucks on the lot with that tranny. If I remember right, it took a while for them to figure out the "fix."

I remember my Dad was quite worried. I picked up his truck from Dave Smith and immediately after they froze all trucks on the lot with that tranny. If I remember right, it took a while for them to figure out the "fix."

yeah it did, i went to tranny school after they figured it out

Not sure on reman stuff.. I planned on going through PDR for all of the parts, so I didn't really research any others. Although with just about all of the guys I know working for other diesel shops, including Piers himself. I really don't have the urge to buy from PDR anymore.

if im keepin the truck i will toss in a reman tranny 3 year warranty 30,000 miles and all new gears inside the case cant beat that but if i dont im gonna throw a stock shaft and the bearings the go along with it in it and sell ir private party

Nope no leaks just the crank main on the motor on the front and both outputs on the transfer case is all:awesomework:

Didnt ever pull the pressure plate so no tool needed, im going to put a new input shaft in and the two bearings it rides on and shop around for a new tow rig but it will at least get me by till i can find the right deal on something new.

Sick and tired of dealing with 2 or 3 grand in repairs each year in big chunks so im gonna move on get somethin with under 100K on it and 05 or newer:D Time for somethin reliable and no more 246K on the clock:awesomework:

So if anyone knows of a dodge cummins or chevy/GMC duramax for a good price with under 100K on it let me know im in the market:awesomework:

Didnt ever pull the pressure plate so no tool needed, im going to put a new input shaft in and the two bearings it rides on and shop around for a new tow rig but it will at least get me by till i can find the right deal on something new.

Sick and tired of dealing with 2 or 3 grand in repairs each year in big chunks so im gonna move on get somethin with under 100K on it and 05 or newer:D Time for somethin reliable and no more 246K on the clock:awesomework:

So if anyone knows of a dodge cummins or chevy/GMC duramax for a good price with under 100K on it let me know im in the market:awesomework:

I call dibs on your old 12v

Latest posts