• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My First Run With Crash... *Big Pics*

84Toyota4x4

Yup, thats right. I met Crash out at Reiter Trails today at 9 AM to go find that Blazer, and to maybe try some other trails. Turns out my truck had other plans.

First we can start with a picture of Crash's rig on the trail. Man, keeping up with this thing is like trying to chase a spider. He just bops right along up and over everything, meanwhile, my fillings are falling out...

IMG_0818.jpg

We get a good ways up the trail (not sure how far actually, not too much further until the Blazer) and I catch a rock with the left front tire, and a stump with the right front. It starts to go up, then suddenly drops back down and I hear a loud pop. Uh oh, no more 4WD for me :mad:

So, we decide to see if I can back down the trail to get to a spot where we can kinda check it out. I start backing down and promptly get stuck on a log :rolleyes:

Yup, theres a log under there...

IMG_0819.jpg

So, we decide that here is as good of a spot as any to pull off the hubs and see whats going on in there. I pull off one hub, then remember I was having problems with the OTHER hub locking itself not too long ago, so I go and pull that one. It comes apart in more pieces than its supposed to. I go ahead and figure out how then damn thing goes back together, and pop it and the other one back in hoping that was the problem. Of course not. Still stuck on the log. So, heres Crash down below getting ready to run the winch line up to me to yank me off real quick. Thanks Crash.

IMG_0823.jpg

And here I am off the log.

IMG_0826.jpg

I got off that log and go down to about where he was sitting in that pic, and immediately get stuck again trying to turn around. This is getting old - fast. Thanks for getting me out Crash.

IMG_0827.jpg

IMG_0828.jpg

So, from there we just left the strap hooked up so that he could just kinda pull me out as needed, and all was going good until my steering locked up from the broken birfield and I couldnt make a corner and he kept going. Next thing I knew I was rocking back and forth on three wheels :clappy: The front left was going up the bank, the front right down, and the rear was trying to slide down sideways.

IMG_0829.jpg

Another view

IMG_0831.jpg

After some strategical tugging, I was finally heading back the right way - again. By the way, did I say thanks Crash?

We headed back to my camp site where I proceeded to tear into the truck so I could pull the birfield and driver her home.

IMG_0833.jpg

We got there and I knew that I would be going through phases of being hot and cold, so I assigned Ashley the job of building the fire. Unfortunately, neither of us smoke, so she had to wander around looking for matches or a lighter. She came back with four strike anywhere matches. Ingeniously, she used a candle to prolong the fire with which to build. Good thing too since the first two or three werent very "strike anywhere" and didnt light. Luckily we got one going and lit the candle.

After getting the candle going, we tore up a box I had in my truck and got some kindling going too, she was very proud.

IMG_0834.jpg

So, she built a fire, and I managed to get the wheel off. I wasn't very motivated, haha.

IMG_0839.jpg

After some more sitting around the fire, I decided to get to work. Eventually I got it all torn apart, and found this... Im pretty sure this is my problem, :flipoff:

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

Anyway, I pulled it out, cleaned it out, shoved a rag in there, and buttoned it all back up. Then, I took some time to sit around the nice warm fire that Ashley had tended to before letting it die out and heading home for the evening.

IMG_0843.jpg

We stopped at the Sultan Bakery for some food on the way home too, but I didnt take any pictures for fear of them making me hungry again later :D

So boys and girls, that was my first experience with Crash. Went 3/4 of a trail, broke and axle, and got stuck three times. Talk about a good first impression, lol. Although, I would like to say he was really cool about it all since he didnt seem to mind giving a little tug. I almost expected him to be in a hurry to catch up with the other groups that showed up, but he just hung out and put up with it all. For the first time meeting him, Im gonna have to say everything Ive heard was true, he's a good guy. Thanks again Crash, it was fun. Im definitely gonna hit up that trail again once I get the truck more prepared.

~T.J.

Last edited:
That was an awesome fire I built, not to brag or anything. Not to mention a nice array of pictures I took for the story :clappy:

Nice report.

Try some bobby longs. Last time I checked you could get the treated stock ones for a REALLY good price. Been running them with my 38.5s and v-8 for 5 years.:cool:

Yep, Crash is a good guy. Glad you made it out ok. Also glad to see you use a tub for the fire. Although it's very wet out, fires are not allowed at Reiter unless it's in a bbq or something like that steel tub. I know it's done all the time, and I bet many people are unaware of the rule, just thought I'd take the opportunity to make everyone aware. Sorry to hijack, back to your normally scheduled program!:D

Mike is always more than willing to help out with broke crap on that trail! He is awesome thats for sure. Looks like you had a fun day hahaha, too bad you didnt make it very far thats kind of dissappointing but o well, theres always next time eh

pretty sweet to bad you didnt get to much wheeling in that always sucks when you break right away.:mad:

Bunk said:
Time 4 a Job.
BIG X2
Boonie Buster said:
Hey, i talked with josh tonight, you might be back in business faster than you expected:clappy:
That would be great but I think Im gonna hold off on it for now, just because it needs so much stuff right now. Id like to gather a few more parts and complete a little more before I take it back out wheeling again.

~T.J.

Last edited:
Anytime TJ. I will never leave anybody and even more so when IMO you trusted me to follow and take you on some new trails. Just too bad you didn't have a spare we could have swapped out and kept going...

crash said:
Anytime TJ. I will never leave anybody and even more so when IMO you trusted me to follow and take you on some new trails. Just too bad you didn't have a spare we could have swapped out and kept going...
Yeah, like I said I had a spare, but I stopped carrying it because it took up so much room in the standard cab (I need a truck box), and I hadn't broken one in FOREVER, I assume because of no front locker.

I got home and found out that I don't still have the spare, I assume it was stolen when some of my other parts were stolen out of my truck while I was building the new engine. I still have both spare axles I had, but they weren't in the truck, the birf was.

Anyway, like I told Aaron, its not high priority right now. I need to get a front rebuild kit, a new front rotor (possibly upgraded rotors & calipers), cut off all the extra brackets Im not using, get new spring center pins in the front axle, check the front diff gear install, then slap that all back together.

For the rear, I need Skys disc brake brackets, then Im gonna finally install my rebuild kits for both sides, along with all the parts I need for the disc brake conversion, pull the rear diff and tear it down to reinstall the gears and reset the pinion preload.

THEN I can finally start working on my horrible suspension and/or steering and maybe get new tires at some point :rolleyes:

Damn truck :clappy:

~T.J.

That wasn't Crash, aliens invaded his body and stole his rig, the real Crash is a total a-hole! :;

crash said:

Anyone else get a chuckle here?:

85Toyota4x4 said:
So, heres Crash down below getting ready to run the winch line up to me to yank me off real quick.

There is nothing quick about that winch of yours. :redneck: :flipoff: :haha:

Saw Yeah

Hey man saw you on the trail coming back down. I was the one leading in the black Toyota. To bad you broke. That trail has eaten more than a few rigs!! LOL!! Well good luck next time. It's all about the LONGFIELDS!!! :D

Latest posts