• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My new light duty wheeler...Samuari

hlb3

Zombie Hunter
Well I was tired of not being on the trail so I picked up a cheap wheeler. My FJ has been torn apart for like 2 years now, and it still needs a lot of work, and with the price of fuel, I wouldn't be able to tow it anywhere anyways. So I decided to find something that I could drive to the trail and mess around when I want to. It will mostly be driver when it is nice, it is in too good of shape to totally trash (at this point at least), but I do plan to go run some moderate trails with it. I figure this will get me by for a while, hopefully I will be able to get my Cruiser done eventually. It should work out since I will be moving back south to Tenino again shortly, so I will be about 35-40 miles from Elbe.

So here's the specs:
-1987 Suzuki Samurai soft top
-1300cc's of hamster power
-Tcase stuffed with Trail Creeper 6.5:1 gears
-Might Kong t-case mount/skid w/solid mounts
-Evil Twin twin stick kit
-Lock-right rear
-4340 front shafts and birfs
-31x9.50 TSL Radials mounted on 15x8 steelies

So this is what it started as:
Sami1.jpg

Sami2.jpg

Sami3.jpg

Some crazy suspension travel...
sami.jpg

So here are the pics of it now... Everything is done except the locker and the new shafts up front

Last edited:
I hope your not planning on airing down those tire's more than 20psi..
But if you went out and bought 15x6 trailer rim's you can air down too 10psi.How I know this I run 34x9.5x15 swamper's and love them..

Oh and nice zuki by the way:awesomework:

I hope your not planning on airing down those tire's more than 20psi..
But if you went out and bought 15x6 trailer rim's you can air down too 10psi.How I know this I run 34x9.5x15 swamper's and love them..

Oh and nice zuki by the way:awesomework:

Yeah, I was disappointed to find the that these tires are more like 8.5" wide instead of advertised 9.5". I got these wheels because of their backspacing, had I known how narrow the tires were, I would have got different wheels. :booo:

And thanks. :beer:

Im curious what it weigh's. Ya got any scales around ya?

Scale weight of a stock one is something like 2100lbs, so I would guess around 2500lbs.

How do you like the Evil Twin setup? I've got the kit, but haven't installed it yet, as I just resealed the case a little while back, and don't feel like takin it apart; in other words, I'm lazy!!!!:redneck: But I am actually getting my p/s in now---need to get the right size hoses for the return and suction ports tomorrow..
BTW, I have an extra sidekick P/S setup, including the sleeves/bolts for the frame, if you're interested.... Nice Zuk!!!!!:awesomework:

How do you like the Evil Twin setup? I've got the kit, but haven't installed it yet, as I just resealed the case a little while back, and don't feel like takin it apart; in other words, I'm lazy!!!!:redneck: But I am actually getting my p/s in now---need to get the right size hoses for the return and suction ports tomorrow..
BTW, I have an extra sidekick P/S setup, including the sleeves/bolts for the frame, if you're interested.... Nice Zuk!!!!!:awesomework:

Well I haven't got to test it on the trail yet, but it seems to work nicely. I love the ability to have 2-low, I have my Cruiser setup that way and I like it. I don't blame you for not wanting to tear the case all apart, it is a lot of work to get that detent ball out of there.

I will PM you about the PS, thanks! :beer:

Nice looking zuk and thats a good setup for some good wheeling if you can stay out of the wholes that swallow 31's. Almost the same setup as mine and was surprised what it did this weekend.

Well I haven't got to test it on the trail yet, but it seems to work nicely. I love the ability to have 2-low, I have my Cruiser setup that way and I like it. I don't blame you for not wanting to tear the case all apart, it is a lot of work to get that detent ball out of there.

I will PM you about the PS, thanks! :beer:

Yeah, I wish the kit was out when I had it apart......oh well, it'll happen eventually.......
PM returned!:D

Thats a cute lil thing you got there Les--your will have some good fun with it :awesomework:

Yeah, it is kind of cute, its almost small enough to run in the RC comps. :redneck:

Yeah, I wish the kit was out when I had it apart......oh well, it'll happen eventually.......
PM returned!:D

It's also nice that it gives you a true neutral too, I'm considering getting a tow bar so I can just flat tow it when I am not going on longer trips so that would come in handy.

It's also nice that it gives you a true neutral too, I'm considering getting a tow bar so I can just flat tow it when I am not going on longer trips so that would come in handy.

I'd either just drive it if it's not too far, or trailer it; not real fond of flattowing myself,my thought is all the little vibrations with the gears unloaded could wear stuff---just my .02.....

Yeah, I would rather not flat tow it, but that is just an option until I get a lighter/smaller trailer, mine is a triple axle trailer that weighs 3,000lbs. :redneck:

Yeah, I would rather not flat tow it, but that is just an option until I get a lighter/smaller trailer, mine is a triple axle trailer that weighs 3,000lbs. :redneck:

Someone here posted a CL find--small double axle 'Jeep' trailer for like $500?
Oh, and thanks man! Lookin forward to meetin ya!!!

Last edited:
Yeah, I need to find a trailer like that. Hopefully it wont be too difficult to find something cheap. I'm looking forward to meeting you too. :beer:

Got some more parts today, my start likes to click at me on occasion, so I picked up the starter fix. I also got the GM alternator bracket, I'm planning on getting a winch in the near future, so I figure I might as well upgrade the charging system.

This weekend I will be installing the Lock-Right in the rear, one I get that done it should be ready to hit the trail. I think I will try to find a group to head out to Elbe with at the end of June to give her a good test run...

:011: damn nice color, I had no idea they came factory this way.

Whens the tear down?:redneck:

Latest posts