• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My repair report

vanguard

That rock walker guy
Some of you may remember my carnage pics from the Uwharriecross race. I actually did ok in the race (2nd place) but the price I paid was higher than I expected. I took a few weekends to upgrade parts, like a hi-pinion e-locked front third member and a new cutting brake, but for the most part I've been waiting on a new axle housing since May.

Here's the damage (bent housing):
P5110087.JPG

Rear steer:
P5110088.JPG

I had different friends come over on Saturday and Sunday. Their help is greatly appreciated, I just hope I get the chance to pay it back.

On Saturday morning we started off by pulling the tires, airing down the shocks, and pulling off the links. The old axle was out in no time at all.

P7120015.JPG

Now the old axle is ready to have the parts transferred over. I bought all new brackets but all the bearings, rotors, etc. came from the donor axle.
P7120016.JPG

The fairlead caused the rope to turn a sharp corner when I sucked in the axle and it always wore there too quickly. After cutting off the end and rebraiding it a few times I decided to try things without a fairlead. This is Mark grinding away.

P7120017.JPG

At the end of the first day we had all the brackets and tabs tacked into place and the third member installed. I read on the net that it's good to install it when you do your welding because it prevents bending. It seemed like a good idea so I went with it.
P7130018.JPG

(more coming)

When Kreg arrived on day 2 I had gotten an early start and finished welded most of the brackets before he got there. One tab didn't sit right on the truss so it needed a support. Kreg put his metal working kung fu on display and built this three dimensional truss for the end of the upper control arm mount. It's pimp.

P7130019.JPG

1/8" steel origami
P7130020.JPG

I'm starting to get the hang of this welding thing. I like to put a brace across the tabs to connect them to each other. It makes the it's a lot stronger.
P7130021.JPG

Here it is with all the big pieces just about done. We still had to route the brake lines, fix the e-locker wiring, etc. but at least it's on its own wheels again.
P7130023.JPG

Brake lines are routed and the limiting strap is in place.
P7130024.JPG

Close up shot
P7130025.JPG

This is Kreg's origami truss mount. You can't really see why it's needed but it's because one of the tabs for the control arms is only halfway on the truss.

P7130026.JPG

Every known problem has been fixed. I'm ready for my shakedown run so I'm trying to set something up for this weekend. I haven't gone this long (about 60 days) without wheeling since I started in 2005. I'm ready to get back at in the woods.

74_Chevota said:
Its not a party till Kreg the hairy man beast shows up. loller.gif
Kreg's always good to have around. It's impossible not to like that guy. When people come over to help we always feed them. Kreg's been here enough times that my wife just makes an apple pie as soon as she hears he's coming.

I took it for a test drive around Uwharrie for about 4 or 5 hours today. Overall things went well. I had three issues.

1) The toolbox wasn't mounted well enough and it almost came off. (fixed when I got home)
2) The winch line wasn't threaded through itself enough (fixed when I got home)
3) One of the front axle seals still leaks (I just can't seem to fix this. I'll add more gear oil at harlan for a short term "fix".)

Now all I have to do before Harlan is hitch up and drive off. My rig is ready to go.