• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My YJ build

Avanteone

SO, a few of you saw my new project at the swapmeet and asked why I hadn't posted a build thread here.... I had to kind of think about it, and my answer was "I dunno". I guess I just hadn't really thought about it.

So, it started out like this. My XJ had evolved about as far as a unibody rig could go. With the wheeling I like to do, it was just getting beat do death. Even /w full cage, unibody reinforcements, etc.... you could still see daylight between the doors and body. I had been thinking about doing a YJ anyway, and then the right deal came along... SO, I stripped my XJ, sold off some of the parts, kept some other parts, and started on the YJ. While discussing the project /w Brandon from Crawl Magazine, he said it sounded like something they had considered covering... so he made some phone calls and got a couple of sponsors on board. With some of the parts being handled by sponsors, it gave me the opportunity to spend some money on other parts like the transfer case and front axle.... so I was really able to put together a very nice rig. It's getting VERY close, we've been seriously thrashing the last couple of weeks to get this thing ready to leave Saturday (3/15) for Moab's Easter Jeep Safari.

So, enough words... here's some pics.

The end of an XJ:
IMG_3048.jpg

Stock '91 4.0 YJ /w bad transmission, scored for $1500:
IMG_2753.jpg

Parts from Genright:
IMG_3029.jpg

IMG_3031.jpg

RockJock HPD60 build:
IMG_3032.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

And so it begins:
IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_3059.jpg

IMG_3121.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3072.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

Genright link kits:
IMG_3163.jpg

Genright corners:
IMG_3192.jpg

Genright rockers:
IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3235.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

Genright front bumper:
IMG_3240.jpg

Coilovers and shocks:
IMG_3347.jpg

Drivelines:
IMG_3361.jpg

Front shocks getting installed:
IMG_3364.jpg

IMG_3370.jpg

Everything in place to make it a roller, angle iron crossmember and tacked suspension components and all:

IMG_3379.jpg

Pic of it in the Crawl Mag booth at the Swapmeet:

IMG_3387.jpg

Last edited:
So, some specs:

'91 YJ, HO 4.0, swapped in Cherokee AW4 (4 speed auto)
Atlas 3.0 2 speed t-case
Should end up about 100.5" wheelbase
Iron Rockjock HPd60, 5.13's, Detroit Locker, Yukon shafts and joints, 62" wms
Explorer 8.8 rear for now, 5.13's, Detroit Locker, Superior Super 8.8 kit, 61.5"
Tom Woods 1350 Drivelines
Genright tube fenders, rockers, rear corners, flares
Genright front 3 link kit /w Panhard, rear 4 link stretch kit
Genright stretch aluminum fuel tank
F-O-A 14" coilovers /w reservoir, 12" emulsion shocks /w reservoirs in rear running 2" OME TJ coils in rear
Bent Metal Customs full cage /w frame tie-ins
Bent Metal Customs shock hoops, and soon to be crossmember
Custom AW4 wiring harness to mate the XJ trans. to my PCM by Dave (Klaus)
TrailReady 17x8.5" Aluminum Heavy Duty beadlocks
37x12.5x17" BFG Krawlers (blue)

HUGE thanks to Dean @ Bent Metal Customs (253-222-4890) for all of his work and my constant questions, the entire crew @ Genright (www.genright.com), Larry @ TrailReady, Chris @ F-O-A, Tom Woods' Custom Driveshafts, as well as my crew here @ the shop for all the work and hours we've put into this thing!

John

So how close were you to your budget??

I think I'm pretty close to where I figured we'd end up. Obviously I had some help /w the sponsored parts, which afforded me the opportunity to splurge in other areas.... but if somebody is capable of doing most of the labor themselves, this thing could be duplicated right around $20-22K. There's nothing on here that takes much specialty work as far as the labor goes, other than the tube work... and I'm including the cost of labor in that number. Think about how much some of us are in our rigs and that number doesn't sound so bad.

John

I got a chance to look it over at the swap meet. I like what you did to the windshield hinges so that you can remove it with out having to mess with the hinges.

There are a lot of little details that make it work and I think that you are really going to like the results.

What did you use for the AW4 computer? Are you just using the one that came from the doner vehicle?

What did you use for the AW4 computer? Are you just using the one that came from the doner vehicle?

Yeah, using the XJ TCU and a custom made wiring harness by my buddy Dave who has done the same swap in his rig. It ties into the fuse box for power, TPS for data, etc.

John

Rig looks awesome John. Looking forward to seeing it in action at the M&G this year. :cool:

Something--kinda--something thats been rattling in my head......:awesomework:

Come over to the dark side, you know you want to!