• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

narrowing a rear axle???

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
is it true it's harder to narrow a rear axle? i heard it was. if so then what would be suggested if i couldn't do it? i've got a dana 60 i'd like to see narrowed 5-6" MAYBE. i'm gonna be swapping out my axles on my s-10 in a while and was not really wanting to have full width but i eally don't want to have to shuck out booko bucks for rear shafts. is there another axle you guys like to use that's aroun 59-61" wms to wms??? i plan on using a dana 44 out of a wagoneer or something for the front...

S&N can do it for sure, maybe crashy poo can do it I dunno.

It's harder than a front because it requires alignment equipment to get it straight, where as a front you just weld the C's on with the right caster and that's that.

Dean at Bent Metal Customs narrowed my 60. The narrowing is only half the battle depending on the housing you've got, because the housing ends for 60s vary greatly. Is it a full floater or semi, are you reusing the stock axles, or going aftermarket, and especially how many spline count the shafts. Common 60s with full floaters are 30 spline. And a nice upgrade is to the 35 spline which will require different housing ends, again depending on your application.

The rear is tricky due to the fact you need jigs to align the bearing cups.
I narrowed wanderingwillies rear 9" and so far thats held up though....

TreeClimber said:
Dean at Bent Metal Customs narrowed my 60. The narrowing is only half the battle depending on the housing you've got, because the housing ends for 60s vary greatly. Is it a full floater or semi, are you reusing the stock axles, or going aftermarket, and especially how many spline count the shafts. Common 60s with full floaters are 30 spline. And a nice upgrade is to the 35 spline which will require different housing ends, again depending on your application.

ya, it's a chevy FF with 30 spline axles. if i were to keep the same axles how much do you think it would be to narrow them? or are there some websites that have some estimates? OR are there any other axles about the same width as what i want to go to that i won't have to mod.??? like a D44 or 9"???

Boonie Buster said:
ya, it's a chevy FF with 30 spline axles. if i were to keep the same axles how much do you think it would be to narrow them? or are there some websites that have some estimates? OR are there any other axles about the same width as what i want to go to that i won't have to mod.??? like a D44 or 9"???

You've got a couple of options.

One is to narrow the existing housing, reusing the currrent FF spindles. The get shortened axles and stay 30 splines. Since Dana 44 have 30 spline axles, and don't normally snap R&P, it's not a very good upgrade to do this to your 60.

One is to narrow the existing housing, welding on FF spindles from a GM14 bolt. Dean at BMC does this often. The 14 bolt spindle is a larger spindle and can be hogged out to fit a 35 spline shaft (unlike the 60s spindles). Then you reuse the 14 bolts FF hub assembly, and just buy your 14 bolt FF shafts to length, and install them in the 60s locker

One is to narrow the existing housing, welding on new Semi-float bearing cups. Then buy semi-float axles of your choice (Moser's, etc). This is the option Dean did for me, it's more expensive, but I've got 40 splined Mosers, Detroit, and it wasn't too much $$.. (Now the front was a hole diff. story)

Boonie Buster said:
if i were to keep the same axles how much do you think it would be to narrow them?
Well, axle splining seems to be going for around $75+ per end these days, BUT all the FF shafts I've seen are forged for the length they'll end up and they all neck down. They can't be shortened.

But of course the idea is to have big enough shafts that you just don't break them, making the inititial cost not such an issue.

Last edited:
Dean did my rear 60 with ford big bearing ends and 3 axles for a very reasonable rate. Quick turnaround as well.

you could use a 14b with the Crew cab hubs. they are 63" anyways, and idiot proof strong.

I had a Dana 60 in the rear of my early bronco before going with a full width D70. My front D44 was 60-62 inches wide with the Chevy 8 lug spindles out. I matched the rear by picking up a Dana 60 from an old Ford van at Pick NPull 1/2 price day. I pulled out the long side shaft and replaced it with another short side shaft so both shafts drive and Pass are the same length. I then had a local guy narrow the long side. He builds custom axles all the time and he only charged me $100. He is in Nor CAl. The final width ended up being 59-60 inches wide WMS-WMS. I carried one spare shaft which would fit either side. It was only a cheap junkyard 30 spliner but I never had to use it. I never broke an axle. I ran 351W NP435 and NP205 with the stock 4.10 gears that came in the axle and 38 swampers. The whole thing cost less than $200 including the axle. It held up very well and I sold it for more than I spent on it 7 years later with no breakage.

My D70 has the same outside Diameter on the spindles as the 30 spline 60. I was planning to bore out the spindles and up grade to 35 spline shafts if I ever broke one, but I never needed to.

You dont need a jig to get the housing ends on strait. All it takes is a little patience and the use of a framing square and a tape measure. Being a pipe fitter helps too. :redneck:

I would have pointed you toward the Ford axle too.just narrow the long side down to match the short side.if you don't mind staying 30 spline.I had a 60/14 bolt hybrid done up a while back for a buddy.tough rear end that's for sure.

TreeClimber said:

Dean is the guy to have do it for sure....He did my front 60 and has done countless 60's for many wheelers up there. PM me or Treeclimber for his #. He just moved to Puyallup (by the hospital) from Graham and is easier to get to......Well it sounds that way at least? :D