• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need advice on Aisin hubs!

TrailTaco

I am trying to remove the hub so I can pull my busted half-shaft. I cannot get the cone washers to release. I have tried tapping on the side of the hub and tapping on the cone washer itself. They just will not pop loose. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Mark

get a BFH and beat the hub right above the cone washers... spray them with PB blaster... it shouldn't take anymore than that

have you tried using a chisel and getting the cone washers to spin... is all the dirt and oil ect... off the hubs

Thanks.. Maybe I am just not hitting them hard enough. I will try the chisel to spin them out as well.

Mark

DONT! Unless you like them all dented up. Spray the studs and cone washers down with penetrating lube and let soak in, you want it to get between the cone washer and stud surfaces. Put the nuts back on even with the end of the studs and tap the flats of the nuts on alternating sides using a drift and large hammer/small sledge, an old expendible 6" socket extension works great for this. What you want to do is put sideways force on the studs which will make the shape of the cone washers work FOR you instead of against you.

Hitting the cone washers with anything or trying to pry the gap open will just damage them, you shouldn't ever have to hit them directoy. I have yet to find a hub that didn't come right off using my method.

Pull the nuts off, then using a brass drift and a sledge hammer, beat the ends of the studs. The cone washers will pop out.

I've also used a chunk of aluminum when I couldn't find a drift. You just want something softer than the steel so you don't bugger up the threads.

I've heard of people having good success with a small flathead screwdriver (Craftsman is good in case you bust the tip) and tapping it into the split in the cone washer. This releases the 'pinch' on the stud and they slide right off. Doesn't work as well if you've got lots of crap/dirt/rust in there holding it all together.

Last edited:
I soaked them down with some lube. I will try the brass punch tomorrow night, when I get home from work. I have not taken off the snap ring yet. I did not think that would keep the cone washers from coming off. I will take it off first tomorrow before I try the punch.

Thanks for the help

Mark

I have not taken off the snap ring yet. I did not think that would keep the cone washers from coming off.
It won't. It'll just stop you from being able to pull the body of the hub off. Seriously, light-ish taps on the sides of the nuts works 100% better than bashing on the end of them. Just work your way around the hitting them from both sides and they'll start popping loose one at a time. Don't hit so hard that you bend the studs though.

I've always spun the nuts out until they are exactly even with the end of the studs and then alternately beat the ends of the studs like a red headed step child with a brass punch. Always worked for me. Use some anti sieze on the cones when you put it back together.

use a propane torch on 'em. flame on and heat them up until they pop. they will even pop right out sometimes. a brass drift also works like previously stated. skrause is pretty much dead on. theyre pretty soft, so be careful with them cuz they blow when theyre all chewed up. good luck.

I've always spun the nuts out until they are exactly even with the end of the studs and then alternately beat the ends of the studs like a red headed step child with a brass punch. Always worked for me. Use some anti sieze on the cones when you put it back together.
X2, thats the only way i have ever been able to get them off.

small chisel ground to fit in the slit/groove of the cone washer works good. Smashing the side of the hub hard works if you don't mind the dents...you got to hit pretty good, doesn't hurt anything but the looks.

Smashing the side of the hub hard works if you don't mind the dents...you got to hit pretty good, doesn't hurt anything but the looks.
I have a few that people have done that to, had to file down the sealing surfaces because the smashed them hard enough to deform.

The small flat head srewdriver method works very well for removing the cone washers. You just get a small flat head and put the tip in the slot on the top of the cone washer and tap lightly with a hammer. This will cause the cone washer to pop right out of the hole. That is the only way the cone washers would come out of the hubs on my old 80 Toy. reguardless of how much Washington crud they had caked in them. Try this before any other method requiring more force. I'm sure it will work well for you.