• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need help with 700r4 with tci full manual reverse valve body

irondalefj80

in the works.......
Hey guys, I just had a 700r4 trans built for my buggy, I know I know should have gone with a turbo 350. But it wasn't available at the time. I got a tci reverse shift pattern full manual valve body with engine braking from summit

. Had the trans fully built, installed it last night and no gears, not forward or reverse. It has pump pressure, checked at cooler, but don't have a trans gauge to see what they are. You can feel the transmission try to move, but it is like it is binding up internal.

Any ideas?

I know it is shifting inside the trans. I can watch the driveshafts Turn when it doesn't have a resistance (front hubs unlocked in front dig only). But whether it is in first or reverse, it only turns as if it is pulling forwards. Transmission has neutral, ( driveshafts stop turning) and it has park, so I know the linkage is fine. I am totally confused.

Thanks
Charles.

How much fluid did you put in it, is it a new convertor, and did you put the convertor in right , by this i mean counting clicks and measuring off the face of the bellhousing,sounds like a pump issue but could be low fluid. Hard to say definitely

elliot:
i put 12 quarts. not a new torque converter, was told from old friend who has built 100's of trans that the converter was good.

the converter was far enough in, i could rotate it by hand after trans was bolted up, even put a washer btw the flywheel and converter thinking that it was too far out...... it wasnt ??? i dont know...

im just worried i gotta pull the trans AGAIN.....

gonna try to see if anyone has had any trouble with the TCI valvebody... thinking maybe it is the issue....

If you have pump/line pressure, its not a torque convertor or pump issue. While it sounds like low fluid, if you have line pressure it rules out low fluid or forgetting to install the filter. Did you remember to instal the plate that goes between the valve body and the trans case? Also were all the check balls installed correctly? I would start there.

fl-krawler said:
If you have pump/line pressure, its not a torque convertor or pump issue. While it sounds like low fluid, if you have line pressure it rules out low fluid or forgetting to install the filter. Did you remember to instal the plate that goes between the valve body and the trans case? Also were all the check balls installed correctly? I would start there.

I didn't rebuild it, a buddy did, I'll ask tomorrow. According to tci, nod check balls are required.

I gave him the instructions to installing the valve body when I dropped off the trans.

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/800/890/890-376010.pdf

That's the instuctions. My trans is an early 80's.

I agree on the low pressure, but have no clue on a auto trans, just wish it worked for what I paid.

i have an update... pump is making a little pressure, which climbs when the RPM increase. but not enough... the guy that built it brought his gauges over, guess im pulling the transmission again......