• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need new tranny.

thirdgrader

I am loosing my transmission real quick in my truck, and want to replace it. I have a 85 EFI truck with a W56 if I am not mistaken. I have had trannys rebuilt in the past and it costs as much as getting a remanufactured one. So I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on where to get a remanufactured one at? :beer:

I got a g52 trans and tcase you can have for $300. everything works great. should be the same length and everything...

Your cheapest option is to get a used unit and toss it in. Rebuilt prices vary on any failed "big" parts as the asain stuff is NOT cheap...

You're correct, your truck does have a W56. You can use any W56 transmission from another truck. Just about all EFI 4 cylinders came with W56's behind them from 85-95, 4 runners and trucks. I know for sure that one from an 85-88 4 cyl. EFI will swap in directly, and I'm pretty sure the later model ones will too.

Used they go for anywhere from 200-400 bucks, and I'd bet that if you posted a wanted ad up here you'd find that someone has one to sell. I wouldn't go new/rebuilt simply due to expense, but that's always an option if you don't want to deal with a used one. Don't know where to start looking for those other than asking around at transmission shops.

Seeing how this is also my daily driver, I don't mind spending a little extra $$ to get a good tranny. My fear of a used one is spending $300-$400 and it lunches in 8-12 months. Then I am back to finding another one, doing all the work over again, and spending more $$$. So I figure going remanufactured or the likes, I will save time and money.

-no thanks on the G52 I already have a pair of those....:beer: