• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need some help picking a new truck

RAYRAY

I am buying a new truck but just cant decide witch one to get. When I say new I mean new to me, I have no problem buying used or new. I currently work my v6 2wd chevy into the ground. I need a true truck not an avalanche or some denali. Do I go diesel or gas? Chevy,ford,dodge,toyota,....? Any help would be appreciated.

I am new to this Forum stuff and dont spend to much time on the computer so if this has already been posted or if this is a stupid question to ask just let me know and i will take it off ASAP. Turning to Hardline because i posted something on Pirate and lets just say i learned my lesson on that one. I guess i dont live up to Pirate4x4 standard.

Yeah pirate is the land of the a-holes. For a gas truck i'd go with a Toyota Tundra, not that good on gas tho. Diesel i'd have to go with a newer duramax.

For the right truck in the low 30s is where i would like to be. I cant see spending 50 plus thousand on a truck. First i cant afford that but i dont see how you could us a truck that cost that much.

bearslayer2829 said:
Yeah pirate is the land of the a-holes. For a gas truck i'd go with a Toyota Tundra, not that good on gas tho. Diesel i'd have to go with a newer duramax.

I like the look of the Tundra but know nothing about them. Whats your reason for picking the tundra?

For that price range I would go 06-08 duramax

The new ford motors are nice and so are the trucks but I dont think you will find one in that price range

Cummings will run forever but the truck will fall apart.

I thought I would never own a diesel to drive everyday until I finally bought one to try it. I will never go back to owning just a 1/2 ton gas burner. I spend almost the same on fuel as I did gas and service works itself out since I go longer between oil changes and then I have a truck to tow with when I need it which is weekly.

RAYRAY said:
I like the look of the Tundra but know nothing about them. Whats your reason for picking the tundra?

Tows and looks better than the other half tons, more leg room, comfortable, and will last longer and hold their value longer than a Dodge, Ford or Chevy.

I just went through this same predicament. I choose to go with a 2010 Ford F250 4x4, 4 door, 5.4 liter with 60,000 miles. I needed something that I would be able to pull my 16ft. enclosed trailer with my buggy loaded in it, but would also be comfortable and spacious enough to fit a car seat in the back. So 4 doors was a must as well as 4x4.

My enclosed is very heavy. It is completely finished on the inside and has a massive Onnan 7000 watt generator on it, not to mention it is loaded down with bascially all of my tools out of my garage. The reason I choose gas over diesel came strictly down to cost and maintenance. I did not want to spend over 28,000 on a used truck. Everything I could find in that price range that met all of the parameters I was looking for, were 07-08's with 100,000 miles on them. Plus gas being down as low as it is, and maintenance being cheaper, I thought gas was the way to go.

I came across my current truck for around $25,500 which I thought was a good deal, being a 2010 with only 60,000 on it. The interior of the Ford in IMO is the best out of all the brands as well as the over all look. That being said the truck gets horrible gas mileage around 13 city and down to a little above 9 hualing. Now I do have larger than stock tires and a leveling kit on the front. the truck tows pretty well when you have the tow feature engaged, but does down shift a lot when going up hills. I also thought I was not going to make it up the steep hill leading up to the camp grounds at GMP, but I may not have been in tow range. The motor is pretty strong off the start but lacks the pulling power. I however only drive mine occassionally around town and when I am pulling my trailer so it is a little cheaper to just be sitting there.

I am a big fan of the cummins but i hear that the 07 and up need to be "deleted" and the EPA is making that harder and harder to do. I am a big fan of the look of the Super Duty but like stated above its probably out of my price range. I am definitely thinking 3/4 ton due to the fact that i am always towing or hauling something. The allison is a big plus to me as well. I have already smoked a tranny pulling my dump trailor loaded full of broken concrete.

Thanks for the help this is a big purchase for me and i only want to do this once.

jcorlew24 said:
I just went through this same predicament. I choose to go with a 2010 Ford F250 4x4, 4 door, 5.4 liter with 60,000 miles. I needed something that I would be able to pull my 16ft. enclosed trailer with my buggy loaded in it, but would also be comfortable and spacious enough to fit a car seat in the back. So 4 doors was a must as well as 4x4.

My enclosed is very heavy. It is completely finished on the inside and has a massive Onnan 7000 watt generator on it, not to mention it is loaded down with bascially all of my tools out of my garage. The reason I choose gas over diesel came strictly down to cost and maintenance. I did not want to spend over 28,000 on a used truck. Everything I could find in that price range that met all of the parameters I was looking for, were 07-08's with 100,000 miles on them. Plus gas being down as low as it is, and maintenance being cheaper, I thought gas was the way to go.

I came across my current truck for around $25,500 which I thought was a good deal, being a 2010 with only 60,000 on it. The interior of the Ford in IMO is the best out of all the brands as well as the over all look. That being said the truck gets horrible gas mileage around 13 city and down to a little above 9 hualing. Now I do have larger than stock tires and a leveling kit on the front. the truck tows pretty well when you have the tow feature engaged, but does down shift a lot when going up hills. I also thought I was not going to make it up the steep hill leading up to the camp grounds at GMP, but I may not have been in tow range. The motor is pretty strong off the start but lacks the pulling power. I however only drive mine occassionally around town and when I am pulling my trailer so it is a little cheaper to just be sitting there.
2010 with 60,00miles for 25,000 sounds like a deal to me. I think i would be happy with your truck. Yes 4x4 is a must i currently get stuck in wet grass and need less to say makes me very angry.

06-08 duramax. is there a reason for those years besides price. I ask because my brother has an 01 that he had to tare the motor down to replace injectors and head gaskets or something like that. He said that whatever he had to do was a common problem with his truck. I am guessing that issue has beenfixed?

RAYRAY said:
06-08 duramax. is there a reason for those years besides price. I ask because my brother has an 01 that he had to tare the motor down to replace injectors and head gaskets or something like that. He said that whatever he had to do was a common problem with his truck. I am guessing that issue has beenfixed?

Injector problems were pretty much solved by the '05 model year. '06 they bumped the engine to 365 horsepower and added a 6th gear to the Allison, a year before the emission police made them add the particulate filter ****. This is the truck most want because you don't have to spend as much on exhaust and programmers to get them to run. '07 and later has the emission controls but is the newer body style. Much newer than '08 and the price goes up pretty high for a low mileage truck.

I have a 2005 I bought new, and now has 135,000 miles on it and it still does great.

Just bought my first new truck. 12 dodge 2500 4 door diesel.
Was n no hurry shopped around. Was out the door at 36k. Couldn't
Buy a used truck for the same money. Decent mileage. I love it

yankster said:
Injector problems were pretty much solved by the '05 model year. '06 they bumped the engine to 365 horsepower and added a 6th gear to the Allison, a year before the emission police made them add the particulate filter ****. This is the truck most want because you don't have to spend as much on exhaust and programmers to get them to run. '07 and later has the emission controls but is the newer body style. Much newer than '08 and the price goes up pretty high for a low mileage truck.

I have a 2005 I bought new, and now has 135,000 miles on it and it still does great.

What he just stated, but If you do get into an 07 model you can put a delete on with EFI live and it really helps. I have an 05 myself and love the truck. 04.5 and up is the years to have on dmax but 06 did get all he stated above which makes them very popular. You will prob be able to find one under your price range but use the other money for exhaust, intake, and a good tuner.

I just bought a 04.5 dodge a couple of months ago 113000 on it for $17,000 I like it so far but I havent had a chance to tow with it yet but overall seems like a good truck and it gets around 19- 21 on the MPG

I have an '85 F-150, one of the best I ever had. Also have a '94 Nissan hardbody truck, not the best but gets me there and back on the cheap. Wait... How new we talking here? molaugh

5BrothersFabrication said:
I have an '85 F-150, one of the best I ever had. Also have a '94 Nissan hardbody truck, not the best but gets me there and back on the cheap. Wait... How new we talking here? molaugh

I'll take a stab and say probably newer than those! Although there is nothing wrong with the older model trucks as long as you don't mind it riding like a truck instead of the smooth rides of today.