• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need some help

babyed

I just swapped a 4.0 out of a 98 xj into my 97. I swapped the throttle body, distributor, oil pressure sending unit, and coil off my 97 onto the 98 because the plugs didn't match on the 98.. Fired it up and its hard to start, idles rough, and it backfires terrible and will not rev past 2000 rpm...Im 100% sure the timing is right. I've checked it 3-4 X's now. I did notice today that I didn't hook the grounds that go on the dipstick tube back up. So I cleaned them and put back on... Still no difference. There is no check engine lights on, and I'm lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you may need to get a adjustable cps and have you checked fuel pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds like you may need to get a adjustable cps and have you checked fuel pressure? Also try swapping pcm from donor Jeep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you have distributor out? 4.0 doesn't point at #1 @ TDC

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Here's the latest..... Swapped the ecu, and o2 sensor off my donor. No difference. Went back and checked the timing, it was set correct. So I advanced it 1 tooth just to experiment, and it ran better, but it was too much. Any ideas on what could be going on?

Thank you very much!!! Your link solved my problem. My fsm does not match what you sent. Fsm shows the #1 plug being where the #4 plug is on the distributor cap. Your link was right, runs great... Thanks again zjman, I have fought this after work everyday for 3 days.. lol

Glad see it was something simple, usually we are 100% we got it but can't be too confident, we're human, :dblthumb: