• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

need toyota help

jeswade

I have a 1983 Toyota 4x4 pickup 22r 5speed..i was driving and it just died on me..i tried to put gas in carb to start it but nothing..it turns over but wont start.. if it was the fuel pump wouldn't it still start when I put gas in the carb?? what could it be?? im not much of an mechanic so any help would be appreciated..

Check for spark next. Pull a sparkplug boot, stick a phillips screwdriver into the sparkplug connection on the boot. Hold on to the screwdriver handle, not the shaft or you will get shocked. Hold the screwdriver ~1/4" away from a steel part on the engine ( like one of the lift hooks) & have someone crank the engine. It should spark to the metal part from the screwdriver.

Also if there is spark try ether instead of gas. If that doesn't work, if you have a spare, swap the ECU, I had this same thing happen to me except I was pulling out of my driveway and it was on my Mitsubishi Eclipse when I had it.

Smells like the ignitor died. Search on Pirate4x4 for directions on wiring a GM hei module in place of the overpriced ignitor. I ran 2 years on an HEI module, I'll never buy another factory ignitor again.

Also if there is spark try ether instead of gas. If that doesn't work, if you have a spare, swap the ECU, I had this same thing happen to me except I was pulling out of my driveway and it was on my Mitsubishi Eclipse when I had it.

First gens were carbed--no ECU..

As mentioned start with spark (I lost an igniter once) and go from there. Also make sure the distributor is turning...

I know this is a toyota thread, but my boat just up and died one day because the dizzy gear got stripped and my friend's truck just up and died because the roll pin sheared on the dizzy gear. Those were both Fords though. So, like Crash said, if no spark check to see if the rotor is spinning under the distributor cap.

checked out timing chain rotated the engine till top dead center rotor was on #1 wire... checked coil its ok.. igniter checked out ok.. got into truck turnd key and it started and ran till gas I primed with ran out..so I put more in and it wouldn't start..HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM im thinking carb??

I would remove the fuel line from the carb and stick it into a bottle of some sort. Crank it over and see if it just kinda spits of has any sort of flow. Could be as simple as a bad pump.

I checked full pump and its ok... now I went over put key in and it started right up..i drove it home and it keeps starting.. I just took it for a drive got 1 or so miles from home in 4th gear and it died..sat for maybe 10min and it started..could it be choke?? or the floats sticking and not letting gas in???

checked them both they were fine... it will start run and then just die...sometimes it will start right away and then sometimes it wont start at all..:mad:

Latest posts