• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need Toyota SAS Help!!

That thread on Pirate looks like it has a ton of stuff. When I measured I used a tape measure and went straight across. I also did straight from the eye to the kingpin

I think they are third gen rears, just replace the main leaf with one from a second gen rear and mix and match the rest of the pack to get the lift you want (use about 6 leaves and make sure they are cut down in layered lengths). The third gens are about 3 inches longer than the earlier ones.

a trick i used is to cut the eye's of your rears and use a front main leaf only and trim the pack to your liking i do that alot and it keeps the axle were i whant but still flexes great see

011.jpg

a trick i used is to cut the eye's of your rears and use a front main leaf only and trim the pack to your liking i do that alot and it keeps the axle were i whant but still flexes great see

I think that sounds like a good idea. So you mean just cut the eyes and throw another shorter leaf on the top. Then I just have to find a good top leaf. Will the stock rear off of my 86 runner be a good choice? I think I will just weld in the frame tubes and front hanger and then match up a leaf pack based on that. Does anyone recommend using the front hanger 1" forward for any other reason than the leaf pack? maybe fender clearance?

I think that sounds like a good idea. So you mean just cut the eyes and throw another shorter leaf on the top. Then I just have to find a good top leaf. Will the stock rear off of my 86 runner be a good choice? I think I will just weld in the frame tubes and front hanger and then match up a leaf pack based on that. Does anyone recommend using the front hanger 1" forward for any other reason than the leaf pack? maybe fender clearance?

leave the spring you have in there. just move tha hanger forward a bunch. It will keep the tires out of the cab. You can put a 10 lift on a toyota and 33s will hit the cab unless the axle is moved foward. You want those shackles with just a little angle on them with no weight on the springs.

Oh wahh, I have to move the steering box, whaaaa. Big deal, move tha dam box and be done.

If ya want it to work well, get the axle forward and then get the box forward to match.

Search, "house of steel" or "baby blue beater" then "deflowered" for step by step directions on how to use them springs properly.

I think they are third gen rears, just replace the main leaf with one from a second gen rear and mix and match the rest of the pack to get the lift you want (use about 6 leaves and make sure they are cut down in layered lengths). The third gens are about 3 inches longer than the earlier ones.

third gen rears work the best out of all of them, last the longest too.

Why remove a superior spring and replace it with an inferior one?
Its the same amount of work to mount **** or gold.

Your gonna have to move the steering box for both kinds of springs anyways.

Oh wahh, I have to move the steering box, whaaaa. Big deal, move tha dam box and be done.

:haha: :flipoff:
Your right, thanks for calling me out on that.

Looking at my spring pack do you think the ones I have are 3rd gen rears? And should I just leave it at the 1.5" forward or try and move it even more out?

Last edited:
:haha: :flipoff:
Your right, thanks for calling me out on that.

Looking at my spring pack do you think the ones I have are 3rd gen rears?

measure them from front to rear while following the arch of the main leaf. Not straight from eye to eye. I want eye to eye but following the curve of the main leaf.

They look like 3rd gen rears from the pics tho. They will most likely need a few extra support leaves too. They have three leaves stock form toyota, 1 main leaf 2 military wrap 3 support leaf, then they have a thick overload on bottom when stock.

I like to keep the three toppers and pitch the overload and then add 4 more leafs giving me a total of 7 leafs when Im done (3 toyota and 4 "other"). I use wranglers for the support leaves cuz they are cheap.

If ya use wrangler springs for support you can get a pair with a bent main leaf for less than $20. Or buy good ones for $40-50 and then sell the main leafs back to a jeeper for $30 if they are not bent.

And should I just leave it at the 1.5" forward or try and move it even more out?

if an inch and a half is good then 4 should be great.

An inch and a half is NOTHING. If your gonna move it make room for 38s. all toyotas end up on 38s someday, just accept it and build for it from the start.

Push that beam out some more till the shackles get a little closer to verticle with no weight.

if an inch and a half is good then 4 should be great.

An inch and a half is NOTHING. If your gonna move it make room for 38s. all toyotas end up on 38s someday, just accept it and build for it from the start.

Push that beam out some more till the shackles get a little closer to verticle with no weight.
truth!:haha:

Chop, I measured the springs following the curve with a sewing tape and it was about 51" center of eye to eye.

I really dont think I want to move the spring perch more than the 1.5" because the wheel is already is starting to look off being that far forward. Maybe a spring pack from trail gear will fit up better?

I really dont think I want to move the spring perch more than the 1.5" because the wheel is already is starting to look off being that far forward. Maybe a spring pack from trail gear will **** it up even more?

That should work perfect. You are building a show n shine rig right? At first I thought this was going to be a wheeler.

If looks are your first concern, bolt a shitty procomp in there and get to rollin. :011:

If you want performance offroad I suggest you reread this entire thread. :rolleyes:

I wont build a truck unless it looks perfect at the car show.:haha:

That should work perfect. You are building a show n shine rig right? At first I thought this was going to be a wheeler.

If looks are your first concern, bolt a shitty procomp in there and get to rollin. :011:

If you want performance offroad I suggest you reread this entire thread. :rolleyes:

I wont build a truck unless it looks perfect at the car show.:haha:

thought it was a wheeler..

shitty procomp? :haha:

Damn your harsh :D

If I move my spring perch another 2 inches forward none of it will be touching the frame except for the outside edges. It wont be touching the front crossmember at all.

If you dont want to move it that far foward you have been suggested to get another set of rears.. make sure that they are 85 and older.. It just doesnt seem that your listening. if you want to move it the 1 to 2 inches foward you need a 85 and under pack.. id personally fo for a 81-83 pack that have more arch then the 84-85 do. Get a pack like that and ad a few of the leafs you have under the first 3 and youll be set. Read this and youll be fine and actually read it..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265669

Obviously theres alot in there. Brad's baby blue would really help you out if you want to stick to those springs. If your not wanting to do all that invest 20-40$ more in some new rears.. You could also fork out the dough and get the trailger, marlin, allpro springs as well.. Just costs alot more.. Brads souls on his boots are made from recycled rubber from procomp tires so he can stomp them through the mud everyday!!! :redneck: :fawkdancesmiley:

Last edited: