• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

new 33's

Cole1

Ive been looking around for my options on 33 and wanted some opinions form from the board. Ive been leaning towards the 33x1350 LTB's thou ive heard they dont last long on the road with the softer rubber compound. There going on an 81' standard cab short bed toyota with a 4" lift and it will be my DD. Anyone have an opinion or is there some other options I should look into? I dont really care if its a bias or radial. Let the games begin.

I wanted to try the truxes mud terrains on my cj that I drive on the street a lot. but I have not personally tried them.

Yeah i was thinking about those too im really looking for a mud terrain rather than an all terrain tread just incase i decide to take it offroad every once in awhile.

This should probably be in the 4x4 talk...but I'll give you my .02 anyway!!
I had a set of 33"LTB's and loved 'em!! Granted, my rig rarely saw the road, but from what I've heard, they do wear fast on the road, especially on a heavier rig. If you're looking for good performance with decent 'on-road' manners and longer life, I'd probably advise to try the TRXUS M/T...keep in mind, if you're still stock-geared, you probably will hardly ever use 5th gear, even with 33's, especially bias LTB's!!!

The TRXUS m/t is a good all around tire. It's a little soft in the sidewalls, but I would say no more than other radial mt/s. The trxus is absolutely the best snow tire i've ever used or seen. The new goodyear mt/r is proving to be a GREAT all around tire, although a little more spendy than the others mentioned.

This should probably be in the 4x4 talk...but I'll give you my .02 anyway!!
I had a set of 33"LTB's and loved 'em!! Granted, my rig rarely saw the road, but from what I've heard, they do wear fast on the road, especially on a heavier rig. If you're looking for good performance with decent 'on-road' manners and longer life, I'd probably advise to try the TRXUS M/T...keep in mind, if you're still stock-geared, you probably will hardly ever use 5th gear, even with 33's, especially bias LTB's!!!

Ok how do you move it to the 4x4 section?

THe truck is on 31's right now but im planning on some 33's soon and the only other mod i was thinking about was regearing the truck and throwing in a celica motor I have and putting some money into the motor. Like i said its a DD build not really for offroad cause i have my 87 toy project for that.

I running the toyo open country mt, an i like em for a radial mud terrain. They are realy quiet an behave well on the roads. I have about 18k on them, an about 16k of that was on a misalighned rig, an they still have 30-40% an i dont see replacing them till the end of next summer.

Ya just gotta remember, bias ply tires rock offroad, but bring the suck on the road.

I had the 36" bias military tires so im use to the rough rides and that doesnt really bother me to much. What about the bighorn mud terrains that les schwab carries? Anyone tried them out?

I had the 36" bias military tires so im use to the rough rides and that doesnt really bother me to much. What about the bighorn mud terrains that les schwab carries? Anyone tried them out?

Those are Maxxis. They're decent, and very reasonably priced. They are pretty loud on the road.

Those are Maxxis. They're decent, and very reasonably priced. They are pretty loud on the road.

I like the price but i havent heard how they wear and the milage to expect out of them, but its hard to beat the price like that for a radial mud terrain.

Any other opinions or is everyone still leaning towards the traxus?

I like the price but i havent heard how they wear and the milage to expect out of them, but its hard to beat the price like that for a radial mud terrain.

Any other opinions or is everyone still leaning towards the traxus?

i would compare the bighorns to the original BFG MT's, they wear decent an are decent offroad

I just found a set of 33x1450 boggers on CL $400 with wheels and he says 50% tread. Boggers are killers on the road in my opinion no traction at all. I do like the toyo's too but there pricey for the 33's. My boss just got a new set of 35" toyo's and no joke he got 78,000 but he is all freeway from his house to work.

I just found a set of 33x1450 boggers on CL $400 with wheels and he says 50% tread. Boggers are killers on the road in my opinion no traction at all. I do like the toyo's too but there pricey for the 33's. My boss just got a new set of 35" toyo's and no joke he got 78,000 but he is all freeway from his house to work.

boggers in a 33" size are basically useless IMO unless your tryin to impress your sister so you can take her out on the town. :haha:

I have a set of Toyo m/t's on my work truck. I don't think I will ever buy a different type. They wore a little faster than I expected, but my truck is in and out of jobsites all day every day and I have yet to be stuck. Not that I'm trying. They perform pretty good in the snow also. As long as it's not deeper than the bumper.

FWIW my roomate has 35" BFG KM2's on his yota, and 6000 street miles later with a locker in the back they still look new. they seem to be wearing well. we will see after 20-30k.

I've tried the LTB's and they are a pretty rough tire for pavement. They develop flat spots every time you park so the warm up period on winter mornings is pretty crappy. They are also pretty bad in snow because the sidewall is too stiff to air down and flatten them out without beadlocks. Great offroad tire otherwise. I'm running the old-style BFG MT's now and think they are very good both on and off road but they are getting hard to find, and I don't have experience with the new KM2's to compare.

The general tsl design is not designed for the road regardless of what tire it is from swamper.if its going to be more of a wheeler than a dd, then that dont matter and the interco tires are great off road. if your going to primarily be driving on the road, spend a bit more on a more versatile tire such as the mtr, bfg km2, or toyo mt. they will last longer on the road and you would not have to replace as soon as an ltb, in this, causing a save in money in the long run :awesomework:

The general tsl design is not designed for the road regardless of what tire it is from swamper.if its going to be more of a wheeler than a dd, then that dont matter and the interco tires are great off road. if your going to primarily be driving on the road, spend a bit more on a more versatile tire such as the mtr, bfg km2, or toyo mt. they will last longer on the road and you would not have to replace as soon as an ltb, in this, causing a save in money in the long run :awesomework:

Except you can almost buy 2 sets of LTB's for one set of Toyos/MTRs/KM2s....I don't disagree with you, it just all boils down to what the rig is going to be primarily used for.... :awesomework:

I have Swamper SSR's on my cj and the last set got 45k on them, they handle well on the road and do ok off road. They have a big bead area so you can air them down to 4-5 lbs off road and not lose beads.

Had a set on a Sami I put together & sold...Look like really a pretty decent tire for the $$...No real road time on 'em though, so I wouldn't be able to comment on their longevity/offroadability...

Latest posts