• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New addition to the family -- 3 pawed kitten

pheany

This is our new addition to our growing family. We rescued her from a group of barn cats as she only had 3 paws. The story is that the umbilical cord was wrapped around her paw and another kittens neck (the other kitten didn't make it). She still seems to be getting used to it, but it doesn't seem to bother her too much. She's just one happy little kitty.

Lana the Cute 3 Legged Kitten

:dblthumb: Good on you for takin care of da kittah! Won't be long and that cat will get around every bit as good as a 4 legged version!!

The kitty will do better if you can find a vet to remove the upper part of that leg. I'm not trying to be crule, my exwife worked for a vet that would do it to help folks out. He had a cat there that had one front leg and one rear leg. The cat would do everything that a normal cat would do. Mark

I might take a look into having the upper portion of the leg removed. It definitely makes sense because she wants to use it a lot and it could end up giving her pain if she continues doing so. Thanks for the suggestion.

nwflyj said:
The kitty will do better if you can find a vet to remove the upper part of that leg. I'm not trying to be crule, my exwife worked for a vet that would do it to help folks out. He had a cat there that had one front leg and one rear leg. The cat would do everything that a normal cat would do. Mark

Well, it finally came to that. She hurt it the other day and it started bleeding. We took her to the vet to get it checked out and to see if we could get the rest removed. They bandaged it to her body so that she cant use it and said they want to wait 6 more weeks to remove it so she is a little older/bigger. Thanks for the suggestion though, it makes complete sense because she was trying to use it like she had a paw. It was only a matter of time before she hurt it.

I come from a different side of things, I grew up on a dairy farm. We milked 60 head morning and night, and had about 40 cats running around. They breed like crazy when there's gallons of milk running out of buckets every day. There were plenty getting run over by trucks and tractors. You seldom got too attached, even if there was a cool one. Distemper would come along and wipe half of them out. Had several with rabies I've seen on the other end of a gun etc. I like a good cat. My parents have a good one that mices like crazy and my boss has one that I love and we all coddle the **** out of. That said, when I think of cats for the most part I think of something expendable from my upbringing. Guess I need to get one again so I can be reminded of how cool a good one can be.

I've had to put down a couple myself. We had one that got into a foot trap and drug it all the way to the house and hid under our deck. We started to smell something and decided to check it out, his foot was rotting off and we couldn't get near the trap to take it off because it was flipping the heck out on us. Had to break out the .22 rifle on him (didn't have my .45 at the time and figured the 12 gauge was a little overkill for the needed work). This is more of the family's cat than mine, though im the one to take care of it of course. I am more of a dog person, but lost my best buddy a couple days before Christmas when he ran in the street and was taken out by a car. Haven't decided to get another just yet.