• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New battery what's the best

Re:

I got an Odyssey for the new rig after doing a lot of research. They have a lot of good reviews.

I had bad luck with several Optimas so I steered clear of them this time

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bringing this back up...

My red top I have had in the Toyota forever (4-5 years) finally gave up the ghost... So I went to advanced Sunday to get another...... $250 with the core!?!? Not happening.

My battery box is mounted on the back of the cab (Believe it is a TG 34/72/78 whatever or maybe just a 34 box) at any rate the one that just died is a red top 34R.. What are my options if I don't want to replace the optima and I don't want to have to buy/ mount a new box?????

Best I can find online for another Red Top is $175 to the door, but its Monday, and I'd like to ride this weekend..

Ready ......GO

Buy on on Amazon and you will probably have it this week and if you look around on there you will find one with free shipping and no tax I just bought one last week had it in 3-4 days. also you might want to try a yellow top they are more suited for what we do and have 4 post on some models for winches and such!

What makes the yellow better for our application? what is the difference I guess is what I am asking? I am all for it if it is better.

What's the difference between OPTIMA RedTop, YellowTop, and BlueTop Batteries?

RedTop

For normal engine starting where an alternator immediately monitors the state of charge and provides energy to the battery whenever it is needed.

This would describe most stock vehicles, including: automotive and RV underhood starting, heavy equipment where starting is the primary function, and diesel vehicles without aftermarket electronics.

YellowTop

Use this when electrical loads are higher than average, or when the discharge cycle is more than typical engine starting, such as vehicles with multiple electronic accessories and vehicles without alternators. This can also include vehicles with a lot of factory electronics such as power sliding doors and a DVD player. Examples also include: racing vehicles without a charging system, dedicated drag racers, diesel powered vehicles with aftermarket electronics, and vehicles with inverters, winches, or other accessories.

BlueTop

The BlueTop starting battery (dark gray case) is to be used when a dedicated starting battery is required and it should never be used for cycling duty. Use a BlueTop starting battery for marine applications and RVs when the battery's only function is engine starting.

The dual purpose BlueTop (light gray case) can be used for both starting and deep cycling -- it is a true deep cycle battery with extremely high cranking power. Uses include: trolling motors, marine applications with heavy electrical accessories, and RVs.

^^
Here we go, found the answer to my question.

Anything but a red top, last one I had got swapped 3 times in a year, finally gave the last new one away since nobody wanted to buy it at a good discount.

Re:

I've had good luck out of yellow .. red not so much

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

went ahead and ordered a Yellow Top from Amazon $184 to the door, guaranteed to be here by TH of this week. Hope it all works out.

Thanks for the input guys.

I bought a red top to replace another super old red top, only to find out it was my alternator. Never had a problem out of either one. Red reviews after I bought it and almost got sick... So far so good. Wish I woulda got yellow tho.

smbroady82 said:
What makes the yellow better for our application? what is the difference I guess is what I am asking? I am all for it if it is better.
From what i've read the yellow and blue tops are deep cycle dual purpose batteries. Red top is for starting only.

Edit : missed where you answered your own question

I've had good luck with yellow tops.
Had one red top that came in my rig when I got it... was weak and died quickly...

Re:

Two yellow tops in the tow pig, going on two years with no issues. Got a Red top 34 that's been in a few things. Currently in the tractor, build date early 09. What years did the Red Tops go to ****?

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Well I just joined hardline to see who was attending Trailfest this weekend and since I work at TurboStart I will let you guys know we have just released a HD 12V AGM battery. 1000CA 850CCA 135RC blah blah blah. TurboStart AGM 12V series have plenty of power for extra lights, stereo, winch etc and will fit most any Group 34 style battery tray or box. The part number is S12V3465 and if your at Trailfest this weekend come by and talk to me.

I have a Optima Yellow Top in my rig. Manufactured in 06. This yellow top has never let me down :****: it has been in many many different vehicles, a couple boats, hell it used to run the 12V power in our old camper even! Unfortunately a friend borrowed it not too long ago and didn't strap it into his battery tray, then he cut doughnuts in our field slung the yellow top into his serpentine belt and pulleys thus rubbing a hole into it and arced out and now it is screwed up. It would still be working fine to this day if this was avoided.
I have used red tops as well, they go bad eventually. quick if you drain them and have to recharge them frequently. Yellow Top FTW :dblthumb: blue tops are the same as yellow in my opinion.

Lots of good feedback on the Yellows, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Just FYI for anyone else looking, a bud of mine checked with Sam's club and they have them for around $185 as well

Ive been running the diehard agm for almost 5 years, every spring i hook a charger to it and it says fully chargrd, plus its got top and side post so its eazy to hook up winch and accessories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:

I've bought a couple from Advance Auto, online. Google the current "promo" code for a decent discount. Buy online, with discount, then walk in and pick it up. I think I saved about $50 last time. Actually do most parts this way.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Latest posts