• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New bigger welder

al1tonyota

I've had my Lincoln 130 110v welder for a long time '06 I think? It performs great only thing I've ever had to replace is the liner. My only problem with it is, is it won't one pass anything over 3/16 maybe 1/4 with a lot of back puddling. I've been looking at new larger welders probably sticking with Lincoln. I'm considering the power mig 216 or the power mig 210mp for its ability to tig also? Anyone have any experience with these two machines?

http://m.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K2816-2(LincolnElectric)
Pm 216

http://m.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K4195-2(LincolnElectric)

Pm 210 mp

Im a Miller fan all the way but alot of schools and small fab shops use the 216. Any of those are going to be good just look at duty cycle and get the adjustments you will need

I guess basically I'm wondering if the 210 will be enough to learn to tig with? It has a lower duty cycle than the 216 but I won't be using it for production or multiple long welds? I use pm 255 at work a good bit never had it over 20v ?

Yes it will be enough for that.

I have a 400 amp at my shop but I also weld on some thicker stuff
200 amp should be plenty for what your going to do with it.

wont work said:
Yes it will be enough for that.

I have a 400 amp at my shop but I also weld on some thicker stuff
200 amp should be plenty for what your going to do with it.
3/8's is the thickest I've welded at home tractor implements and things like that all short welds it just sucks having to multiple pass with my little guy and been wanting to try my hand at tigging too.

Thanks for your input sir!

So my question is, before I have done any research, what in the world requires 400amps let alone 200 to weld properly w/o overheating the snot out of your base metal?

LightBnDr said:
So my question is, before I have done any research, what in the world requires 400amps let alone 200 to weld properly w/o overheating the snot out of your base metal?
Only thing I've seen that took a big ol welder turned up high is a track hoe bucket from the mines the side was cracked/ing repaired the crack and 2" plates welded down the sides? Big rods real hot and a lot of passes the bucket sides were prob 1-1/2"-2" also

Re: Re: New bigger welder

LightBnDr said:
One summer I welded at nci buildings (those fabbed red iron free span buildings) we ran 600 amp power units with remote wire feeders .052" wire. And we still back gouged and multi passed anything over 1" thick.

LightBnDr said:

Big ****. I sometimes have to gauge 3'' or thicker stuff and have tigged thick aluminum alot with it. With the bigger machines the duty cycle is also higher because your only welding around say 125 amps on a 400 amp machine. This makes it where you can weld continues. Folks that are paying by the hour and myself dont wont to stop production because a machine has to cool down.

wont work said:
Big ****. I sometimes have to gauge 3'' or thicker stuff and have tigged thick aluminum alot with it. With the bigger machines the duty cycle is also higher because your only welding around say 125 amps on a 400 amp machine. This makes it where you can weld continues. Folks that are paying by the hour and myself dont wont to stop production because a machine has to cool down.

This!! We run .045 solid wire in spray mode at work, 32v and around 3-4 feet a minute. Most of what we weld is 1/8to 1/2 in, sometimes we get bigger stuff 1-1 1/2 platte with tripple passes on everything. Were running older miller delta weld 425s with temote feeders. 24-7

91f8b18c7abf425697ccc20045025434.jpg

I don't think this one is gonna be strong enough for me? Looking at the specs anyways...

Found one at the plant at work so gave it a try. .025 wire on 10 ga setting (highest it would go)

f4bdb18df388b63ef844346fcbba4c34.jpg

^^^ so that's 1/8" plate? Thicker?

Ah yes makes sense on duty cycle of higher amp machines. Sweet I get it

Well selling my aluminum boat a guy made me an offer I couldn't refuse and I'm not a good fisherman anyhow! This opened more possibilities money wise! Decided to step up to the Lincoln pm 256. However I was talking to a welder at work about and he says "hey I've got a Lincoln 350mp I'll take $1000 for it"!!! What bring it let me make sure it works and I'm in! 6yrs old but mine is 10 so if it works as it should that's what I will be getting!

Any opinions or experience that would deter me from getting it?